STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

The time of "What were they thinking?" is upon us!

I marvel at how after every major update, having been available usually for more than a month in TEST for anyone to check out, or available in descriptions and arguments over the upcoming changes in the forums as they change and get tweaked - that as soon as the changes go LIVE... a flurry of posts decrying the changes appear as if they are a total surprise and "WTF".

I get it. To busy or lazy to be bothered with tracking new changes or trying them out. No crime in that. But what I marvel at is how a lot of these complaints seem to be of the "What were they thinking?" type of complaints.

IMHO - they were thinking those who cared tried it out and commented when the chance to do so was given.

Johnny come lately types - can complain and be horrified by the changes all they want. And if they actually find bugs? They are productive complaints!

But really - all this faux shock and horror at the changes and how could they possibly do them?

You had your chance to comment before it went LIVE. For whatever reason, you chose not to. Now this does not mean you don't have the right to comment - it just means you should probably not be couching your complaints with some kind of wording that implies you had no idea these were coming.

Because not knowing that? Or taking the time to check them out?

That's on you.

Just felt I should vent a bit about flurry of complaints coming out of the woodwork right now. I mean they got to vent about the changes - seems only fair
    Last edited by SilentRuin; December 15th, 2021 at 21:09.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Not sure this is helpful.

Many people don't browse the forums either at all or very rarely and this is the only medium that's used to announce things like beta versions of the software and only in the Laboratory which is a little visited area of the forums in the first place. There will always be complaints when changes occur either because people don't like change in general or because they don't like the specific thing that's changed. It's the nature of the beast. Not everyone can be happy all of the time, and if you don't know that the change is coming it can be a surprise to many users. We can also look at this positively; one or two complaint posts from a handful of people mean, to me at least, that the vast majority of people like the changes. So there's that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I suspect 90% of FG users never visit the forums. And maybe just as many never regularly visit the Discord servers etc. I wonder how many even read the Newletters?

It's to be expected. People complain that change doesn't happen quick enough. Other people complain when things change. Can't win. Nature of the business. And all that.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I also do not completely understand this thread. As others said, many if not most people are not on the forums or discord and are only aware of a patch once it happened. And even if they knew about the incoming patch, it is completely okay (and even preferred) to voice if one does not like something

Moreover, I do not really see any serious complaints anywhere right now; except some errors related to SWD if I recall correctly, which surely will be fixed. (EDIT: okay, found a thread, but still okay if people voice that they do not like something; depending on the post, the tone could be a bit nicer, but overall it is okay to voice if one prefers something different)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 15th, 2021 at 21:26.

Venting at the venters - take it or leave it. Though I do understand the viewpoint that only venting about app and not those doing the venting is the only legitimate course of action. Open discourse is not really something that is allowed when dealing with an app. So I see the point only discussions directly tied to the app - not opinions about those complaining - is legit to post.

Consider me chastened. Though to be honest, not sorry I vented

The last resort here is to have "news" section in the launcher where such things will be posted for those that don't use discord/email/forums.

I like the new sidebar.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    The last resort here is to have "news" section in the launcher where such things will be posted for those that don't use discord/email/forums.

I like the new sidebar.
    Now there is a productive and worthwhile idea. A consequence of threads that are not really legit at times during the free discussion of all things that can sometimes occur

I think I have once put an item on the wishlist about a pop-up window declaring new updates and features (like it happens when networking updates happen). But I am too lazy to find that wishlist item right now

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I think I have once put an item on the wishlist about a pop-up window declaring new updates and features (like it happens when networking updates happen). But I am too lazy to find that wishlist item right now
    The wishlist... Wharehouse.jpg

Yesterday I had an AL scheduled D&D game, and I did what I shouldn't have done, I UPDATED before the game.

Constant issues during game of errors due to the extensions/mods, annoying for players and for me.

I don't care about the side bar, I can find things anyway, even if now I think is counter intuitive, but I will get used to this new UI.

However these issues affected my session, it was still playable but I am wondering if having many "add ons" loaded is just a pain in the a** and I should revert to VANILLA FGU, so at least update will just break fewer things.

Now my next game to be GMed is on 29th December, I hope by then fixes will be issued by Smiteworks and also I need to check on DMSGUILD all the new fixes for the files (extensions and mods).

I really wish not having to do this anymore, is time consuming.

For what, to change the layout of the sidebar?

meh.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Thread Information