Fantasy Grounds Fridays Pre
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Assistant GM Extension (Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E Ruleset)

The sales for this product in DMsG may soon be deactivated per this post - will let you know when that happens and when it finds a new home.

Assistant GM (Fantasy Grounds Unity)

Players can become an Assistant GM and fully control Monsters & NPCs in D&D 5e!
    This stand-alone extension was created for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons, and its use in Fantasy Grounds allows a Game Master to grant full Monster & NPC control to any number of Assistant Game Masters or share monsters individually so players can easily control movement, targeting, and abilities.

This extension unlocks the following functions:

• Assign one or more players an Assistant GM role, which unlocks:
    • Control of a Monster’s and NPC’s: actions, stats, movement, and abilities
    • End a Monster’s or NPC’s turn, switching to the next actor in combat
    • Grant Monster & NPC access on a monster-by-monster basis
    • Clear all defined users and access to all shared NPC access for everything in campaign.

AssitantGM.jpg

Grim Press will be handling the sales and promotion of this extension.
    If you'd like to engage with us, please feel free to join the Grim Press discord: https://discord.gg/N7MM93a

Extensions = RISK: This note is added to all the extensions I maintain. I want users to understand that extensions are code that is added to or overrides portions of code in the Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) application. When the underlying code in FGU changes it can break an extension. When you run with other extensions they can conflict by trying to overwrite the same parts of the FGU code. I will keep my extensions working with FGU changes, and the extensions I use (listed in my FGU signature) as I have direct control over those things. I cannot make the same promise with other extensions. If I am notified of an incompatibility I will attempt to resolve it - but if I cannot I will list what the known extension incompatibilities are. Understand before you get any extensions that it comes with RISK. Not just my extensions - any extension.

Included is original text used for describing this extension - provided for reference if needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 22nd, 2021 at 16:13.

. . . will I finally be able to offload maps to a player client on a second monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    . . . will I finally be able to offload maps to a player client on a second monitor?
    I'm afraid that sentence is not making sense to me. Forgetting my extension - which has everything to do with NPC control and nothing to do with maps - you can currently...

Make a map public to all players (right mouse over list of image and share).
    Make a map shared to one player (drag image link over player portrait - you can share any DB thing (notes, images, NPCs, etc.))

So what are you saying? Sounds like what you want - you can do now.

Now, if you are saying you split the party and some are on one map - and some are on another... then maybe? Your still one host and all those messages are still flying around one chat log. Not sure that would be what you envision. If you are talking about a clean two hosts running with copies of the campaign that you offload to someone else - that is still how you would have to do it I'm afraid. Unless I'm not understanding - which is very possible
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 17th, 2021 at 22:42.

Not really. Ideally I want a full DM's map on the second screen, so the main screen is clear for the combat tracker, story entries, the second floor map I'm trying to fix while the players clear the first, etc (no, screen stretching doesn't work, different sized monitors with different resolutions). Thinking about it though, that would mean the assistant DM would at least need to be able to open locked doors, reveal secrets, add npc's (and players I guess) from combat tracker onto the map, and probably other things I'm not thinking of right now . . .

Basically all the stuff I can do in Foundry by logging in as a second DM.
    Last edited by The High Druid; February 17th, 2021 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    Not really. Ideally I want a full DM's map on the second screen, so the main screen is clear for the combat tracker, story entries, the second floor map I'm trying to fix while the players clear the first, etc (no, screen stretching doesn't work, different sized monitors with different resolutions). Thinking about it though, that would mean the assistant DM would at least need to be able to open locked doors, reveal secrets, add npc's (and players I guess) from combat tracker onto the map, and probably other things I'm not thinking of right now . . .

Basically all the stuff I can do in Foundry by logging in as a second DM.
    Well let me spitball here on how I'd do it. Forget this extension for the moment. I use Combat Group extensions to pre setup every map/encounter the party might visit/revisit before any session I start. And while they are playing I use it to manage other things in CT as long as I remember to keep the combat group I'm working on invisible to them. That takes care of your first sentence. As far as the monitor, I suffer that pain also. I already have to bump up the scaleui to see things well and have one large monitor (waiting until Star Citizen comes out before I get new hardware - sigh). And nothing is going to solve the Host can only do it via engine code (no API to get out some low level parts of map stuff/priv) to do that last sentence. The only thing this extension will help you with is if you want someone do all the combat for you - you still have to have the map given out - placement of initial stuff (I do that with Combat Groups as I said) - but then they can fully run the encounter as far as running the NPCs (including editing them in CT if you need that). Gist is nothing I have will help you with that whole host only stuff in your last sentence. Just FYI.

Extension = RISK so always be careful on spending on anything you don't need - including on my stuff

Could we potentially have three Assistant DMs each running one or two NPCs each coming together in potential four-way free for all so that players would see alternative players/NPC suddenly pop onto the battlefield and having to convince them to be on 'their' side? If so I am assuming someone can make them invisible to the players til thhe AsstDM decides to have her NPCs reveal themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by FundPirate View Post
    Could we potentially have three Assistant DMs each running one or two NPCs each coming together in potential four-way free for all so that players would see alternative players/NPC suddenly pop onto the battlefield and having to convince them to be on 'their' side? If so I am assuming someone can make them invisible to the players til thhe AsstDM decides to have her NPCs reveal themselves?
    Yes. You can assign any number of players the ability to control NPCs. Of course only one can have read/write control of one at any time but that is why the red dice icons are in CT - if open on that entry you have control of that entry if not you do not. Having said all that - me testing this is not same as live testing it out in the wild so will have to see how extension holds up after live. But the intent is - yes.

Quote Originally Posted by FundPirate View Post
    As I use Combat Groups to manage group visibility not sure how hard/easy that is to do in normal combat tracker - so there is that caveat of an unknown there as this extension does nothing with visibility. I.E. You are dealing with raw FGU for that.

Activated in DMsG - see Page 1. Let me know how it works.

Thread Information