FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 15 First 1234513 ... Last
    I hope they will clarify, but they already protected themselves by getting any DMsGuild author to agree to an "exclusive, irrevocable" license to their works. It's all in the words.
    Please feel free to call me Robyn. (I can't change my username here)
    My 5E PDFs & Fantasy Grounds Modules on The Dungeon Master's Guild
    I stream FG content creation, world building, and D&D games on Twitch!
    You can find me on Twitter too, if that's your thing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedeez View Post
    I hope they will clarify, but they already protected themselves by getting any DMsGuild author to agree to an "exclusive, irrevocable" license to their works. It's all in the words.
    Yes, but doesn't mean it is legally binding. I've entered into contracts I knew were not legally binding, and breached them with no repercussions. Doesn't mean it applies in this case. But it does mean folks should take a few deep breaths and wait. The world is not going to collapse in the next few weeks while this gets resolved. At worse it means that people using extensions might not be able to update FGU until it is resolved.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes, but doesn't mean it is legally binding. I've entered into contracts I knew were not legally binding, and breached them with no repercussions. Doesn't mean it applies in this case. But it does mean folks should take a few deep breaths and wait. The world is not going to collapse in the next few weeks while this gets resolved. At worse it means that people using extensions might not be able to update FGU until it is resolved.
    Right, sorry I replied earlier to SilentRuin then your message came before mine. I'm certainly not saying the world will collapse, just that I'm disappointed, sad, angry. Extension sales on DMsGuild hold the TOP SALES for VTT category. Not adventures, not splat content. Extensions. Its just my opinion that DMsGuild/OBS is losing out an OBVIOUSLY great source of sales by stopping this. And it seems so... out-of-the-blue. They were fine all this time and now suddenly they are not?

Not to mention, what about folks who see this as "now I must put my extension on the forums" and previous purchasers of said extension feel like they got the bad end when they PAID for an extension that is now becoming free on the forums, out of necessity. Its just all such a mess. That's all. I'm just here to state my opinion on this issue. It is an issue. That's all.

Blog Entries
    ****. <-- my blocked profanity. Not the word you THINK it is. Has an s, and a t, there's an i and an h in there.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Right, sorry I replied earlier to SilentRuin then your message came before mine. I'm certainly not saying the world will collapse, just that I'm disappointed, sad, angry. Extension sales on DMsGuild hold the TOP SALES for VTT category. Not adventures, not splat content. Extensions. Its just my opinion that DMsGuild/OBS is losing out an OBVIOUSLY great source of sales by stopping this. And it seems so... out-of-the-blue. They were fine all this time and now suddenly they are not?

Not to mention, what about folks who see this as "now I must put my extension on the forums" and previous purchasers of said extension feel like they got the bad end when they PAID for an extension that is now becoming free on the forums, out of necessity. Its just all such a mess. That's all. I'm just here to state my opinion on this issue. It is an issue. That's all.
    Well technically the only other option is DTRPG - which I'm also trying to get clarification on. Less money for creator but you can only do what you can do I suppose. Providing it makes past their approval process - so I'm told.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Well technically the only other option is DTRPG - which I'm also trying to get clarification on. Less money for creator but you can only do what you can do I suppose. Providing it makes past their approval process - so I'm told.
    I believe you have to get a license with Smiteworks to sell FG anything on DTRPG. I could be wrong though.

Blog Entries
    Yep, its an issue and a mess

It might, just might, based on the wording from the email, be in part that WotC feels they do not have the legal right to distribute or benefit from the distribution of FG extensions. And however they became aware of this, they (might) be legally obligated to stop benefiting from it within a certain amount of time of becoming aware of the situation.

Again, IANAL but say I was running a pawn shop and had some regular customers who came in and pawned/sold stuff through my store and I got a percentage of that. If, and when, I became aware that those sales were illegal, I would have to put a stop to allowing them to sell those items.

I'm not saying that's the case, we just don't know. But just that a lot of times their are legal reasons companies do things and it's really not their choice either.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I believe you have to get a license with Smiteworks to sell FG anything on DTRPG. I could be wrong though.
    Yep as I'm too lazy and have recently had Grim Press do all my video/cover/text stuff - I'll be letting them handle it all if I'm forced to put it all over there. I have no intention of going to all the trouble to be the publisher with a license for something I do as a hobby. Grim Press has an agreement and have been very reasonable in everything I've asked.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; November 30th, 2020 at 21:54.

Absolute trashy move as Fantasy Grounds is missing vital features that are required to mod into with extensions.
    It is unreasonable and tbh crazy.
    WELCOME TO THE EXPEDITION TO SLEEPER ISLAND
    Sleeper Island is a 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons community set on the unexplored continent.

Players of all different levels of experience, age, and nationality are welcome. Experience in Fantasy Grounds or Play by Post are helpful, but not necessary.

Join missions with new and familiar faces to uncover the mysteries still unfound in the perilous wilderness of Sleeper Island!
    https://sleeperisland.eu

Based on asking about the "sell" clause everyone is worried about (not me its not legally going to fly if they don't allow it to sell there) here is the latest response from DMsG....

We're still discussing and creating plans on how to move forward with this and the exclusivity agreement is a part of what we are talking about.

Once we have more information we will make that available.
    So again, I'm not worried that my extensions will not find a new home. They will. Just a matter of time.

Thread Information