FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 16 of 18 First ... 61415161718 Last
    Indeed, my explanation is not precise enough. So I'm going to start over.
    My goal is to have a translation of D&D spells in French and therefore to have as little English as possible.
    For this I use your expansion to override what FG does automatically with structural scans (like damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1 or healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]).

On a PC, I have no problem everything works. I see the increase in healing/damage depending on the level of the spell.

Thank you for your support and responsiveness

On the other hand, on an NPC, when I add it to the CT (the spells are generated thanks to the EE extension). The upcast works well for spells with damage but not for healing (see new image) where all dice are directly added regardless of the level of the spell.
    Capture02.PNG

The purpose of my question was to know if it was possible to have the same mechanic on the healing or I should see with the Grimlore team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaall View Post
    Indeed, my explanation is not precise enough. So I'm going to start over.
    My goal is to have a translation of D&D spells in French and therefore to have as little English as possible.
    For this I use your expansion to override what FG does automatically with structural scans (like damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1 or healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]).

On a PC, I have no problem everything works. I see the increase in healing/damage depending on the level of the spell.

Thank you for your support and responsiveness

On the other hand, on an NPC, when I add it to the CT (the spells are generated thanks to the EE extension). The upcast works well for spells with damage but not for healing (see new image) where all dice are directly added regardless of the level of the spell.
    Capture02.PNG

The purpose of my question was to know if it was possible to have the same mechanic on the healing or I should see with the Grimlore team ?
    With just my extensions, this is working as expected. (See below)

heal.JPG

And a quick check with EE seems to also work. ( But I dont use this extension, so maybe I need to turn something on to make it fail ? )

heal_ee.JPG

Can you confirm if the EE extension is as expected from your machine, ie is this the correct EE and version number ( I think its from forge ) or are you using a different version.

Could you have a look at what options you have turned on, and advise as this might allow us to work out if the issue is in my extension or EE.

Thanks, Pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

I have the latest version of the EE extension as well as yours.

I confirm that it works well with English spells as it has parse structure "healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]" in their descriptions in the "main" tab of the spell.

In my case, I use spells without "analysis structure" since everything is written in French.
    Thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension, it allows me when I add an NPC in the CT to "replace" the analysis structure of my spells in French (i.e. i.e. nothing) by the effects/damage/heals that are created and found in the "Action" tab of each of my spells.

Edit : For information, the version of EE is v1.64. I can't confirm if it previously worked with another version as I just purchased it.
    Last edited by Vaall; May 23rd, 2023 at 23:27.

I confirm that it works well with English spells as it has parse structure "healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]" in their descriptions in the "main" tab of the spell.

In my case, I use spells without "analysis structure" since everything is written in French.
    Thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension, it allows me when I add an NPC in the CT to "replace" the analysis structure of my spells in French (i.e. i.e. nothing) by the effects/damage/heals that are created and found in the "Action" tab of each of my spells.

Edit : For information, the version of EE is v1.64. I can't confirm if it previously worked with another version as I just purchased it.
    I dont understand the process you are doing/using to do this language exchange.

It sounds like you drag on a french npc, which ends up with bad information in the CT version and then you 'update' it some how on the CT with the spell action data...

I dont even know how the ui is used to do this, as I'm not familiar with the EE extension and how it works.

From my point of view, in your capture2.png and from your wording.
    1. 'mains brulantes' damage is working correct ? ( ie I can see it looks at cast level 2 it is giving you '3d6 fire + 1d6 fire,lvl2' )
    2. 'soins' is not working correct ? ( ie I can see it has the '1d8+3 + 1d8+1d8+1d8+1d8...' )

Since my extension adjusts how the parse happens, which if the words are in french, probably does not produce the correct effect. EE extension must be replacing it some how, or your interaction is updating them ?

The fact the damage version works but the heal does not, implies a conflict between the 2 extensions that has been resolved for 'damage' spells but not for 'heal' spells. I'm just trying to work out if that is my extension not doing something, or EE. ( Because EE is loaded after mine, it has higher priority to do things that block my extension from working. )

As I dont have the data to 'try' this to see what code is running to figure out which extension has an issue ( or how it might be fixed. ) its hard to debug and advise.

Could you attach a campaign file that has a French 'npc' for me to take a look at. ( ie if you use the npc's window and 'drag' the npc back onto the npc's window to create a copy of the npc in the 'uncategorized' group, this should store it in the db.xml file. )

If you can also do this with a couple of spells in French that might also help.

Give me some instructions as to what you do when you drag the npc onto the CT and then 'how you patch' the spells. ( Buttons pressed, shortcuts used, etc... )

So I can try and replicate the issue live at my side.

That would help a lot, as I can only work on guesses and I'll never find an interaction between the extensions in this was.. Its too much code to guess at.

What I need to be able to see is if the NPC when its on the CT has the correct extra information for the 'cast level' to work or not. And if not how it failed to get the correct data in the process you are using. Or if EE is just failing to 'patch' in some thing in the 'heal' parsing process when the NPC is added, but does do the 'damage' side. Hence the damage working but heals not working.

I'm sure the issue is probably just a couple line of code fix, but I need to see it happen with a bunch of debug prints to see how and when data is 'lost' that causes the failure.

Thanks, Pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

I had a quick look in EE, and I'd guess that the function 'parseNPCPower' which does different work for 'bTranslateNPCPowers' and calls an overridden 'getPowerAction'... as I can see in the EE 'getPowerAction' for 'heal' its not going to have the same results as calling spell damage overridden 'getPowerAction' to patch in the extra data my extension need.

My issue is this sections of code should also make the english versions fail, so maybe some extra patching is been done in EE. And this is why 'damage' works but the patching for 'heal' has been missed..

-pete

EDIT: did a little more checking, and the english npc while going into the translation side, end up not using it and this falls through the code into the 'savedgetPowerAction' function which will be a call to the spell damage 'parseNPCPower' as EE has not made any changes and so fallback into calling the 'ruleset' processing. ( hence it call my extension which then will also call ruleset code as it nests through my extension into other extensions and ends at the ruleset code at some point.. )

So my guess is that the french data you have, causes the 'translate' to have to do some work, and this then uses the EE parsing instead of the spell damage parsing version.

This is always an issue when multiple extension change these level of fundamental function because normally you then do not call into previous versions of the function as you 'replace' the function so dont call into the ruleset or lower extension versions of the functions.
    Last edited by bratch9; May 24th, 2023 at 11:52.
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

If you feel like you can edit the EE extensions, then you could give this a go and let me know if it resolved the issue...

In your 'extensions' folder you should be able to find 'EquippedEffects.ext', this is just a zip file you can unpack. ( If you have 7zip you can just right-click and unzip with 7zip... if you are in windows you might need to rename it .zip and use the built in extract folder... other operating systems will differ.. But you should be able to have an 'EquippedEffects' folder with the extracted extension. )

in 'EquippedEffects\scripts\manager_equipped_effects. lua'

at line 403 you should see 'local nMod = DB.getValue(v, "bonus", 0);'

its in 'function getPowerAction(nodeAction)' in the section starting with 'elseif rAction.type == "heal" then'

find the line below it, ( looks like.. )
    table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod });
    and replace it with these 2 lines
    local slvl = DB.getValue(v, "lvl", "");
    table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod, lvl = slvl });

this should copy the extra data about the 'lvl[n]' from the spell into the table for processing when it hits the NPC on the CT.

This is a guess from just looking at EE code.

Make sure you dont have fantasy grounds running when you edit the file... then when you run fantasy grounds it should pick up the edited version of the extension.

If you want to make sure the edited version is running... before starting fantasy grounds... make a quick edit to 'EquippedEffects\extension.xml'

and change
    <announcement text="Equipped Effects v1.64 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2023 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items." font="emotefont" icon="equipped_effects_icon" />

to something like ( just added the 'ASD - ', so you should see this change in the chat window when FG loads up. )

<announcement text="ASD - Equipped Effects v1.64 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2023 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items." font="emotefont" icon="equipped_effects_icon" />

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Hey,

Sorry, I didn't have time to answer all your questions. To bring you more information, I was preparing a test module to send you but the solution provided in your last message absolutely solved the problem.

thank you again for your help

Hey,

Sorry, I didn't have time to answer all your questions. To bring you more information, I was preparing a test module to send you but the solution provided in your last message absolutely solved the problem.

thank you again for your help
    So adding the,

local slvl = DB.getValue(v, "lvl", "");
    table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod, lvl = slvl });
    Worked for you ?

If you can confirm this, I'll ask SilentRuin to add the correction to EE. ( I been talking on DM on this solution, but was not ready to get it put into the EE extension until I could replicate it or you tested it etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

EDIT: I've asked SilentRuin to add this couple line code change to EE.

I'll keep an eye out for an update and will do an update post on this thread.
    Last edited by bratch9; May 24th, 2023 at 22:17.
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

I confirm that your solution worked well and does not seem to have any harmful side effects.

I'll explore if I have any other spells that won't work properly and I'll also reach out to SIlentRuin on my end to gather my feedback on a single update to their EE extension.

Thanks

I confirm that your solution worked well and does not seem to have any harmful side effects.

I'll explore if I have any other spells that won't work properly and I'll also reach out to SIlentRuin on my end to gather my feedback on a single update to their EE extension.

Thanks
    It's been delivered per private messages with bratch9. EE is in DMsG now, will be in Forge whenever GP gets around to it.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information