5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Edit of Story/Reference Manual Question

I recently purchased "The Return of Dr. Destruction" and would like to reskin it. I apparently have a faulty memory in that I thought you could open either the Ref Manual or Story entry and edit it. It appears the only way to accomplish the reskin is either:

1. through the Story entry and only by copying each story entry followed by opening and editing of the copy.
    2.Create a new Ref Manual and copy/paste each individual ref manual page.

Is that correct? I had thought there was an easier way, but maybe I am mistaken?

Edit: Copy and paste of the Ref Manual into a new manual is very quick, so this wasn't the chore I originally thought at all, but not sure where to find the new reference manual I just built outside of clicking the builder tab again. Also still curious if there is another method.
    Edit 2: In the interest of completeness - I do see how to export the new ref manual in the wiki HERE
    Last edited by Talen; September 30th, 2023 at 05:08.

Core Rulebooks and Settings should be marked as read-only; while Adventures should be marked as editable.

I'll notify the DLC developer, and make sure that they did not build it as read-only. As far as I can tell, it is an adventure, and all records should be editable.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard.

Along the same lines, I get that Core and Setting Books are generally read only - but in Savage Worlds, once they are dropped on a character sheet, can they be editable? The issue in Savage Worlds specifically is that the generic Edges and Powers have to be modified for their trappings and tailored to the character. That can't be done if Powers and Edges are Read Only (assuming I'm not missing something).

If the record is copied then sure it should be able to be unlocked. But if it's a direct link then it would be point directly to the locked record.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    If the record is copied then sure it should be able to be unlocked. But if it's a direct link then it would be point directly to the locked record.
    Understood that if I copy the edge in the edge section and drag the copied version to the character sheet then I can edit on the sheet, I was just hoping there was a way to eliminate that extra step and the extra clutter of duplicate entries

What I'm referring to is if the character sheet makes a copy when you drop the red locked record, then it's stored on the sheet and editable. Some rulesets do the other way of just linking directly to the record when dropped. I'm not that familiar with Savage Worlds to know if it does it or not. You can test with dropping a red locked record and then clicking on the entry that is produced and seeing if it is still red locked.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I'm not sure how it's handled in Savage Worlds. The Edges/Hindrances may be just links to the original.

In that case, you would need to make a copy first. Otherwise, even if you could edit, it would be edited for everyone.

Regards,
    JPG

Savage worlds handles edges/hindrances in a hybrid way - if you drag a record to the PC sheet then the data is linked to the base record, if you create a new record directly in the PC sheet then the data is in the PC sheet.

There is functionality in the Savage Worlds ruleset to provide details about the ability - click in the title once added to the PC sheet and a text entry line will appear below, type the PC specific data into this. Not ideal if there's lot of text to add, but does provide a way of providing PC specific information.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for the info Superteddy57, Moon Wizard and Trenloe! None of this is a problem for the game - just trying to make sure I'm maximizing the experience.

Note that the Savage Worlds rule set uses magic strings in edges, hindrances, and skills.
    For example, the Luck edge gives an extra benny. If you change that edge name to "Good Karma", the additional benny won't be given.
    You can use an effect on the custom/edited edge, but not all edges have a corresponding effect.
    Level Headed is a good example. If you rename that one, it won't deal additional initiative cards.

Thread Information