DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 16 of 37 First ... 6141516171826 ... Last
    Errata is provided by WotC and then applied to the product that the errata is associated with. If a spell gets an update in a later book, it may not be updated in earlier books unless a specific errata is provided for that source.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by elwhynn View Post
    Do the FGU versions of 5E rulebooks get updated based on revisions / errata? I notice the True Polymorph spell description in D&D Beyond is different from what is in FGU PHB. Partial example (there are several differences):
    Beyond: The spell lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the spell lasts until it is dispelled.
    FGU PHB: The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent.
    All of the material I have suggests that the FGU version is the correct one. I can't find any errata to suggest that the spell's description has changed.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

With all due respect, SuperTeddy, this is a bad idea.

The basic assumption we have is that all versions of a spell are the same in Fantasy Grounds. While D&D Beyond likely does only have one version of every spell in their database and just tags what sources they are from; Fantasy Grounds has a separate listing for *every* source. You are saying that I and my players should have to scan through the four or so versions of the most common spells to pick out the which ones have been corrected with erratum.

With the official 56 WotC sources I own, 21 sources have spells. I have 22 pages of spells listed when I press the spell button and have the 21 sources open (call it 20 as I see one is DD PHB Deluxe, a bug). The first "page" of 50 spells has 22 different spells and 28 duplicate spell entries. Most spells have duplicates and the ones with the most duplicates in general are - the most commonly used spells by PCs and NPCs.

As part of the translation from print media to FG data, I believe that all of Wizards data in Fantasy Grounds, regardless of source, should be the same and use Wizards errata. I believe that the intent of Wizards is that there be only one version of a spell (or any other data item) at any one time.

I do not believe that forcing your customers to scan through and try to guess which version of a spell is the "correct" one is what FG's tag line of "Prep Less. Play Better. ..." is suppose to mean. And while I am specifically talking about spells here, this also applies to Backgrounds, Classes, Feats, Races, Skills, Images, NPCs and Vehicles data too.

While I do sympathise with you as a developer, I do believe it is in Smiteworks long term interest to come up with a better database solution that eliminates duplicate data in general. Right now where there are duplicates, I believe that all identical data items - regardless of source - should be identical and not just mindlessly follow Wizards errata list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    All of the material I have suggests that the FGU version is the correct one. I can't find any errata to suggest that the spell's description has changed.
    Might it be that the change is from the Beta D&D One?

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    With all due respect, SuperTeddy, this is a bad idea.

The basic assumption we have is that all versions of a spell are the same in Fantasy Grounds. While D&D Beyond likely does only have one version of every spell in their database and just tags what sources they are from; Fantasy Grounds has a separate listing for *every* source. You are saying that I and my players should have to scan through the four or so versions of the most common spells to pick out the which ones have been corrected with erratum.

With the official 56 WotC sources I own, 21 sources have spells. I have 22 pages of spells listed when I press the spell button and have the 21 sources open (call it 20 as I see one is DD PHB Deluxe, a bug). The first "page" of 50 spells has 22 different spells and 28 duplicate spell entries. Most spells have duplicates and the ones with the most duplicates in general are - the most commonly used spells by PCs and NPCs.

As part of the translation from print media to FG data, I believe that all of Wizards data in Fantasy Grounds, regardless of source, should be the same and use Wizards errata. I believe that the intent of Wizards is that there be only one version of a spell (or any other data item) at any one time.

I do not believe that forcing your customers to scan through and try to guess which version of a spell is the "correct" one is what FG's tag line of "Prep Less. Play Better. ..." is suppose to mean. And while I am specifically talking about spells here, this also applies to Backgrounds, Classes, Feats, Races, Skills, Images, NPCs and Vehicles data too.

While I do sympathise with you as a developer, I do believe it is in Smiteworks long term interest to come up with a better database solution that eliminates duplicate data in general. Right now where there are duplicates, I believe that all identical data items - regardless of source - should be identical and not just mindlessly follow Wizards errata list.
    As far as I'm aware any spell that was reproduced in later books was either replicated as is; or there was errata produced which updated the spell in previous books. Nothing in the PHB has ever been reproduced anywhere that I'm aware of. Tasha reproduced some spells I think from Sword Coast Adventure Guide, but I believe those had already been errata'd. I know of no instance where there is more than one version of a spell kicking about.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Might it be that the change is from the Beta D&D One?
    That's certainly possible but I haven't looked at anything related to OneD&D. I assume once that is finalised there'll be a new PHB etc.

For what it's worth, in my physical copy of the PHB (First Printing: August 2014 with corrections to first printing), the wording for True Polymorph doesn't match FGU either (or D&D Beyond, though its fairly close). Example of the differences:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled.

This spell has no effect on a shapechanger or a creature with 0 hit points. An unwilling creature can make a Wisdom saving throw, and if it succeeds, it isn't affected by this spell.
    FGU version:
    Quote Originally Posted by FGU
    The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent. This spell can't affect a target that has 0 hit points.

Shapechangers aren't affected by this spell. An unwilling creature must make a Wisdom saving throw, and if it succeeds, it isn't affected by this spell.

Odyssey of the Dragonlords

Parcel: A0602.02 Zephyrus, the Summer Wind
    Parcel contains 1 scroll of fireball, but adventure text says 3 scrolls

Thanks, I’ll alert the developer.

Blog Entries
    Updated for next publish.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Thread Information