5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It's because the lights fade to FoW color; as opposed to black. So, the "hard edge" is just because of the greater contrast.

JPG
    Here is a room full of light and room has been viewed (no FoW). You can see the hard edge of the light.

Two overlapping lights. Room explored by token.

Yeah, @cpinder and I are talking about this a little now. I'm getting some pointers from him on what I can adjust in his code on this topic, since he will be out for a few days.

We're going to try falloff to zero with layer lights, but falloff to FoW value for token lights, to see how that looks.

Also, apparently, the FoW is too bright now, though I have a feeling that this is a very "subjective" setting.

JPG

Also, apparently, the FoW is too bright now, though I have a feeling that this is a very "subjective" setting.

JPG
    Maybe a slider so users can adjust it? I mention it as I have been victim of "a little brighter" "a little darker" in my VFX work :-)

We actually talked about adding a FoW setting as part of our brainstorming; but it's just an initial thought so no design has been done and we still need a default that works for "most everyone".

Regards,
    JPG

Yeah there is no contrast between bright and dim and 0 flicker. Just solid white circle of light. This is pretty bad.

It really varies between settings. Before it had some sort of blur at the boundaries of bright and dim and where dim faded out - which allowed you to see flicker. Now depending on background it can be completely hidden on some maps and not so hidden in others.

Also when two lights blend? Dim and dim does not equal bright. Dim and dim - should still be dim. Its not a combination effect - and now it appears to be somehow.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 31st, 2021 at 04:27.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I must agree that I feel the 2 issues at the moment, with the new implementation, are that lights seem to be additive which results in negating "fall-off", leading lights to have a hard edge at Bright and Dim boundaries. As SilentRuin said above, I'm not sure lights should be additive in terms of 2 x Dim results in Bright, but maybe that is the correct functionality in 5e? Doesn't seem right though. And also, whilst I think that FoW revealed areas are now, in my opinion, at a perfect level of visibility, it means that Dim light is too similar in terms of visibility (I'm unable to spot the boundary between to two to be honest). I'd love to see what the effect was of Dim visibility being placed exactly halfway between Bright and FoW?

It does feel like we're really getting there though, so thanks for all your work.

Oh, and I think candles are set up wrong? It should be 5 and 10 Bright/Dim but at present is set 0 and 5.

Cheers,

Simon

We're going to try falloff to zero with layer lights, but falloff to FoW value for token lights, to see how that looks.

JPG
    The image I posted earlier, the light source you can see the "hard edge" on is a Token Light. The room is fully explored so there should be no FoW, yet you can see the hard edge of the dim light. Maybe its the additive effect that is making the dim edge not fall off? Also the token light was flickering but now it expands and contracts. If there was a way to roll back the Test server like we can on Live I would do some comparisons of the lights and how they interact. I thought the lights were awesome in the previous build.

Last edited by kevininrussia; March 31st, 2021 at 18:25.

@JPG - you might be trying to do too much with greyscale variants. Have you considered just doing something like sepia for FOW, grayscale for dim/darkvision/bindsight and normal for full brightness? Another alternative for dim/FOW might be something like medium alpha, inverted colors (ie less garish photo negatives).
    Last edited by Griogre; March 31st, 2021 at 20:14.

Latest update just now still has the hard edges. In the end, it will be what it will be and I'll leave that up to you guys on what goes live.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information