FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 35 of 46 First ... 25333435363745 ... Last
    Thanks for the very helpful reply. When coding the effect, can I multiple by the d6 by a factor to try and automate the dame for the rogue's level? I have read the there are variables like [LVL] and [HLVL]. Can these by used to calculate it? Apologies, if these questions are not relevant or wrong - I am very new to this...

Quote Originally Posted by xsection View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful reply. When coding the effect, can I multiple by the d6 by a factor to try and automate the dame for the rogue's level? I have read the there are variables like [LVL] and [HLVL]. Can these by used to calculate it? Apologies, if these questions are not relevant or wrong - I am very new to this...
    Check out DMs Guild and search for the Automatic Sneak Attack extension. I think that will do what you're looking to accomplish

Quote Originally Posted by xsection View Post
    That isn't possible. But while updating I'll probably add the damage for every level, as I did in the latest volumes and for cantrip spells.
    Fantasy Grounds Converter for Grim Press
    My projects:

Thanks for all the help with this. I’m really impressed at how helpful and responsive the community has been.

Hello world, I was hoping someone could clear a few things up for me.
    Firstly, there is multiple records of spells, feats, ect. ect. from various modules/books and it makes sense you can't override the originals with the updated 'coded' versions from your modules, however, what happens when I select the Fireball spell from the players handbook, and drop it onto a characters sheet...is the mod smart enough to add A.E.'s version of the spell or should I always filter and check if A.E. has a version first?

Also, I was thrown off by the fact that in the video, the workflow says 'drop the character in the combat tracker to see the magic' , when I'm already seeing the 'magic of it automatically adding coded feats, spells, ect. simply by adding the spell/feat directly to the sheet. I'm willing to bet its due to the fact I almost instantly started modding and using extensions and didn't get a chance to see some of the limits before using awesome extensions ect. Where the effects not fed to the combat tracker before ?

The way I look at this series of mods, is that it took all the 'uncoded' spells, feats, items and misc., and tried to write automation for them? Am I correct in my analysis?

Secondly, I'm curious about AoE effects. Take for example the Entangle spell. Is the system smart enough to take into count which enemy actors/tokens are within proximity of an effect. Or do AoE effects need to be drawn out and applied manually. i see I can cast Entangle at three rats, and it will indeed do the SAVES. Then I manually apply the Effects to the targets that failed their save. Is there a way to automate when an actor enters/is-in an AoE. Or is it always a manually process of drawing out the AoE and applying the coded effects to the target if applicable? I'm mainly just curious how deep you can go with the scripting.

Third, I dropped the Half Cover effect, on my wifes Druid from the effects tab... and had a few enemies attack her to test... and I saw no indication it was working..> what could I be doing wrong/not understand here?

I'm very new to FG so apologies in advanced if this was an incoherent mess.

Cheers, an excellent mod.
    Last edited by spencerg; September 5th, 2022 at 02:12.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    Hello world, I was hoping someone could clear a few things up for me.
    Firstly, there is multiple records of spells, feats, ect. ect. from various modules/books and it makes sense you can't override the originals with the updated 'coded' versions from your modules, however, what happens when I select the Fireball spell from the players handbook, and drop it onto a characters sheet...is the mod smart enough to add A.E.'s version of the spell or should I always filter and check if A.E. has a version first?

Also, I was thrown off by the fact that in the video, the workflow says 'drop the character in the combat tracker to see the magic' , when I'm already seeing the 'magic of it automatically adding coded feats, spells, ect. simply by adding the spell/feat directly to the sheet. I'm willing to bet its due to the fact I almost instantly started modding and using extensions and didn't get a chance to see some of the limits before using awesome extensions ect. Where the effects not fed to the combat tracker before ?

The way I look at this series of mods, is that it took all the 'uncoded' spells, feats, items and misc., and tried to write automation for them? Am I correct in my analysis?

Secondly, I'm curious about AoE effects. Take for example the Entangle spell. Is the system smart enough to take into count which enemy actors/tokens are within proximity of an effect. Or do AoE effects need to be drawn out and applied manually. i see I can cast Entangle at three rats, and it will indeed do the SAVES. Then I manually apply the Effects to the targets that failed their save. Is there a way to automate when an actor enters/is-in an AoE. Or is it always a manually process of drawing out the AoE and applying the coded effects to the target if applicable? I'm mainly just curious how deep you can go with the scripting.

Third, I dropped the Half Cover effect, on my wifes Druid from the effects tab... and had a few enemies attack her to test... and I saw no indication it was working..> what could I be doing wrong/not understand here?

I'm very new to FG so apologies in advanced if this was an incoherent mess.

Cheers, an excellent mod.
    Hi Spencer,

First of all thanks for your support.
    About your questions:
    1. To add effects I had to code a power, which is listed in the spell list in FG. While Equipped effects automatically adds a namematching 5eAE power for features, feats, equipped items, ... this automation isn't possible for spells, as you add the spells in the exact spot (Actions tab) where the automation happens. So for spells, and spells only, you will need to find the 5eAE version of the spell. For example: search for acid splash (see the if there is version under the 5eAE spells group) and add the 5eAE acid splash spell. To be sure, you can check the summary of the spell.
    While FG has some hardcoded and parsed effects for spells there was a serious lacking, because some were missing or wrongly parsed entirely. This data-mod tries to cover this and go beyond it with functionallity for extra effects created by the community and supported by Grim Press.
    Starting coding these effects I wanted them to work smoothly with the Equipped Effects extension by SilentRuin, which adds to the automations. The mods by themselves are pure data, which could also be used without EE and no automation. Having fully coded powers and custom effects gives a huge boost to the automation FG provides.

2. AoE effects were introduced to give a visual reminder of the AoE effects, being an aura for example and adding a simple to follow rule that "All in AoE" or "only foes in AoE" need to the following effect added while they are inside. If you checked the Forge, you might have found an extension called Aura Effects. We don't work with Aura Effects creator and decided not to add the exact AURA code, but having a similar structure might help people adjust my effects to work with Aura Effects. And on the other hand they are also useful for those who aren't using Aura Effects. So to answer your question: it doesn't work automatically out of the box.
    "
    COVER and SCOVER are FGU effect codes. If it doesn't work, it might be an issue with FGU or the extensions you use. I checked it in a clean campaign and when I add "Half Cover; COVER" to a combattant and attack it with another, the attack in chat says: [Attack (M) Bite [17] -> [at combattant] [DEF EFFECTS +2][HIT]. While the result only shows a single 17, FGU gives the defender +2 to AC (named DEF EFFECT), as it should.

I hope my answer helps you out.
    If you want you can to take you questions to the Grim Press discord, where several experienced users and creators can help you out with your 5eAE or vanilla FG questions. https://discord.gg/grimpress

Cheers, Aridhro
    Fantasy Grounds Converter for Grim Press
    My projects:

Perfect, all questions answered. Im an engineer myself, so I can usually see when something has been worked around. Regardless this is pretty elegant and seamless, not to mention the amount of tedious footwork that went into covering all the books. Also the use of the templates was a good move. Great work, im very curious what is exposed via their API, what languages/tech used.. I might take a crack
    at a few things.. but really, looks like the community has it covered. Very impressive.

few other questions, the GP polymorph extension… i can’t seem to find an extensive video on par with the others.. is there a tutorial such as the “understanding” video, for the polymorph extension… my wife plays druid lol

also what are your thoughts on B9s spell tokens, that seems perfect for AoE coupled with your extension, you got the visuals and the effects to make the magic easy

cheers
    Last edited by spencerg; September 5th, 2022 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    Perfect, all questions answered. Im an engineer myself, so I can usually see when something has been worked around. Regardless this is pretty elegant and seamless, not to mention the amount of tedious footwork that went into covering all the books. Also the use of the templates was a good move. Great work, im very curious what is exposed via their API, what languages/tech used.. I might take a crack
    at a few things.. but really, looks like the community has it covered. Very impressive.

few other questions, the GP polymorph extension… i can’t seem to find an extensive video on par with the others.. is there a tutorial such as the “understanding” video, for the polymorph extension… my wife plays druid lol

also what are your thoughts on B9s spell tokens, that seems perfect for AoE coupled with your extension, you got the visuals and the effects to make the magic easy

cheers
    For Polymorphism, we have a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMeERlioZ0g
    it's going on 2 years old, and although there have been some refinements, watching that should give you a good gist on how things work.

You can also check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Ls6iG_PWs which is a guide I did showing Druid Wild Shape and a free module (PWYW) on DMsG for druid wild shaping. It shows Polymorphism in action as well.

Perfecto...thank you my friend!

1. Untrue. You can do what I did (and supplied as free download attachment somewhere - I forget where) and make an AE5EPHBClasses.mod where you remake every single class/race/etc. to point to specific AE modules spells/feats/etc. you want it to reference. My players don't have to think then - and as we know - users and players... well most know my low opinion in regards to those You must hand feed them stuff with no complications or they become utterly confused and lost. Then bug you about it. Easier just to supply them with a module that makes them not have to think. IMHO

I made it myself with some effort - so can any other DM.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information