DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Publish all Modules for both FGC and FGU!

Hey! Why aren't all modules created for both FGC and FGU. Some of us can afford to buy a module occasionally, but not the whole bloody Ultimate license for BOTH versions! COME ON!
    Stephen Pliska-Matyshak
    Dungeon Master
    "Play It Again" Adventures

Email: [email protected]

almebezbik.com

Up until a few months ago that was the case. However more recent modules are not useable in Classic since Classic is no longer supported nor can the modules run in Classic because the architecture is different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I understand the cost factor for you. But it is a cost factor that SmiteWorks can no longer support the obsolete FGC platform. Details of the final announcement of this here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rounds-Classic

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

To add to Zacchaeus's post: Everything works in FGU, but not everything in FGC. So, you should just need a license for FGU and not two licenses in total

Quote Originally Posted by spliskamatyshak View Post
    Hey! Why aren't all modules created for both FGC and FGU. Some of us can afford to buy a module occasionally, but not the whole bloody Ultimate license for BOTH versions! COME ON!
    From a business standpoint, it is not cost effective to release both versions at the same time.

It might seem like it wouldn't be a big deal, but it really is. While there is some level of forward compatibility (FGC -> FGU) there is no backward compatibility. FGU simply does more than FGC and for that reason the features that aren't in FGU would have to be removed from the product for it to be usable on FGC. So that would add time and money to development (either way you go, develop for FGC and then add for FGU or develop from FGU and remove for FGC it still adds time).

Then the QA group has to test twice as many products, which creates a HUGE bottleneck on the release of products. This adds time and money.

Then every time there is a change or revision then the developer has to revise for both, and the QA group must then double check for both, again additional time and money.

As FGC usage declines and FGU usage increases, the returns would become less, and less, and less, until SmiteWorks is spending money to maintain a legacy system. It just doesn't make business sense to do that.

I miss the speed of FGC but in the long run the feature advantages of FGU were worth the money for me to upgrade.

Thread Information