5E Character Create Playlist

Character level up undo

I don't think there is any way to undo a character level up done by mistake, at least for PFRPG, is that right?

It has already happened twice in my campaign and we had to redo the character sheet from scratch. I'm usually against dialogs asking you to confirm an action, but since this is one of the very few irreversible actions in FG perhaps it would be a good idea to have one?

You could export the character before levelling up and you'd then have a back up in case anything goes wrong.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

This type of idea can be tricky because for it to really matter they have to realize the problem pretty much at the time of the error. Admittedly, something likely to be true if they have just dropped the wrong class. You should add the idea to the Feature Request page here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

As a practical matter, you know FG makes an auto save every 5 minutes, right? If immediately after the error happened you quit FG, you can use the backup to rollback and undo. An alternative idea might be a way to be able to reload an auto save from inside FG which would cover not only player problems with their characters but also GM errors of some sort like accidentally deleting campaign data. Or possibly a "restore point" type auto save system - handy for when you don't realize there was a problem for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    This type of idea can be tricky because for it to really matter they have to realize the problem pretty much at the time of the error. Admittedly, something likely to be true if they have just dropped the wrong class. You should add the idea to the Feature Request page here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

As a practical matter, you know FG makes an auto save every 5 minutes, right? If immediately after the error happened you quit FG, you can use the backup to rollback and undo. An alternative idea might be a way to be able to reload an auto save from inside FG which would cover not only player problems with their characters but also GM errors of some sort like accidentally deleting campaign data. Or possibly a "restore point" type auto save system - handy for when you don't realize there was a problem for a while.
    Tanks both! First time I thought about it but tried other things first and then it was too late. Second time I completely forgot, sigh...

Btw autosave overwrites the current db.xml every 5 minutes, right? Can the time interval be changed?

There are also dated backups files db.session.DATE.xml. When are those created, every time FG is opened but no more than once per day or what?

I like the idea of save points/loads.

Exporting character before level up would work, but the players most likely to need it are also the ones most likely to forget about it. I'd rather not have yet another thing I need to remember myself.

Blog Entries
    Autosave time period is not changeable. Backup files are exactly as you say, once per day (first time?).

Most rulesets put the details of the level up in the chat. So you should ber able to go and remove each thing added/changed, but would require the person to do it just right.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post

If you quit FG it will overwrite that DB that you are after. You would actually just go and copy the current db.xml out into another location.
    Then quit FG. Backup the live db.xml and copy the recently copied one back in - and then load FG and export the character.
    I would rather tell the player to make a new character or live with their choice.

Shadow of the Demon Lord has a button on the charsheet that creates a backup of the character and you (or the player) can use that before they start making changes.

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    I don't think there is any way to undo a character level up done by mistake, at least for PFRPG, is that right?

It has already happened twice in my campaign and we had to redo the character sheet from scratch. I'm usually against dialogs asking you to confirm an action, but since this is one of the very few irreversible actions in FG perhaps it would be a good idea to have one?
    Looking at PFRPG specifically - there's not an undo, but you can manually walk back the changes made when the player mistakenly drags a class record onto their PC sheet.
    1. Click the magnifying glass button in the "Class & Level" section of the PC sheet Main tab to open the details window - reduce the level of the class mistakenly added by 1.
    2. Review the data output to the chat window - this indicates what was added to the PC - see an example in the video linked below. Manually walk back these changes.,

Here's an example where a third level of Bard was added to the PC, it goes through the steps needed to revert that PC.

Note: I didn't do the HP correctly in the video, as I didn't realize there was a -1 CON penalty - which is actually indicated in the chat window (5+-1). The actual HP reduction would have been 5 in total 5-1 for the level increase, plus 1 for the favored class - which was all indicated in the chat window, I just made a mistake. Sorry if that's confusing!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d6zzq...jvmnwiean&dl=0
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 27th, 2024 at 17:23.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Looking at PFRPG specifically - there's not an undo, but you can manually walk back the changes made when the player mistakenly drags a class record onto their PC sheet.
    1. Click the magnifying glass button in the "Class & Level" section of the PC sheet Main tab to open the details window - reduce the level of the class mistakenly added by 1.
    2. Review the data output to the chat window - this indicates what was added to the PC - see an example in the video linked below. Manually walk back these changes.,

Here's an example where a third level of Bard was added to the PC, it goes through the steps needed to revert that PC.

Note: I didn't do the HP correctly in the video, as I didn't realize there was a -1 CON penalty - which is actually indicated in the chat window (5+-1). The actual HP reduction would have been 5 in total 5-1 for the level increase, plus 1 for the favored class - which was all indicated in the chat window, I just made a mistake. Sorry if that's confusing!

Thanks this was useful, as a GM I never do level ups and actually did not notice all the data is in the chat.

I had already created a suggested feature for a confirm dialog, I'll leave it up since I think it may be useful. Not sure how to link a specific suggestion but name is "Confirm dialog for level up".

I have also noticed an issue with the Live hitpoints extension but I'll post about it in the extension thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post

Nice, thanks

But I think there is one problem in 3.5E/PF1: Not everything is mentioned in the chat sadly; I think the only non-mentioned automation is the spell class adjustment in the actions tab, in particular the spell level and the automatic adjustment of the number of daily spells. (I believe there was automation for that, but only for some core classes) But this is also easy to adjust, just something one has to keep in mind

Thread Information