DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 14 of 16 First ... 41213141516 Last
    As mentioned in a few other threads in the play test forum, the current FGU client does not handle large lists very well, and we recommend reducing the number of modules loaded to help with that scenario. We are making progress on reducing the overhead that causes those performance issues, but it is a gradual process since we have not found any clear "smoking gun" that causes them. (It's a combination of managed vs. unmanaged code, new graphics system (Unity), and other factors.)

Regards,
    JPG

Hi JPG,

Unity Ultimmate sucker here! I've been running games since March. Could you help me understand why my $110 investment is not improving with the updates, but getting worse?

Thanks!

Greg

Today's update is a huge leap forward, Video tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Hi JPG,

Unity Ultimmate sucker here! I've been running games since March. Could you help me understand why my $110 investment is not improving with the updates, but getting worse?

Thanks!

Greg
    I feel you bro. I'm just going to try and be patient and hope they can figure it out. In the end, even if I'm out 110 bucks I'll still feel like I've gotten my money's worth as long as they keep supporting FGC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Hi JPG,

Thanks!

Greg
    As detailed in your other post, disable all your extensions. They are not official and they are not supported. Any time you use an extension, you take the responsibility upon yourself to see if they work, and you are responsible when they don't.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    As detailed in your other post, disable all your extensions. They are not official and they are not supported. Any time you use an extension, you take the responsibility upon yourself to see if they work, and you are responsible when they don't.
    Wow. That's not an answer I was expecting. All the extensions I have currently work with FGC. I would expect that they also work in FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

This is, bar none, 100% the wrong attitude.

The ONLY thing that sets Fantasy grounds apart is its selection of community made extensions and modules. And as they responded with, the expectation that has been set is that Fantasy Grounds Unity will be compatible with and comparable in performance to Classic.

Like seriously, take that attitude and shove it up your muffler.

AS FOR THE UPDATE

The update is a HUGE leap forward in list pulling performance, and whatever background parsing of the XML files needs to happen. It's still not quite as snappy as FGC, but it's now neck and neck, as opposed to one being much, much slower.

Oh and LordEntrails, I have a bunch of extensions and modules loaded in that video, so I guess maybe the expectation should be that it runs well with this stuff, because I know for a fact that the Smite Works team working on FGU is fighting to get it to the point that you can run it the same way as classic, but with new and better features and a 64 bit ram.

That's literally the gains that they are making here. It ran OKAY with only the vanilla stuff, but if vanilla is all you want, there are any number of other products out there that compete on that front.

Thanks to the FGU team for taking these concerns seriously, I will update the original post.
    Last edited by Broadcast Bard; July 8th, 2020 at 04:42.

Then you have a false expectation at the present time. FGC and FGU are not the same under the hood, although they have maintained a lot of things between the two to keep some things compatible or easier to move forward. FGU is still a work in progress and has not been released and while a lot of people have purchased it and been using it during the current "Early Access" period, myself included, we are using it with a fully disclaimed "Not necessarily ready for prime time" sticker all over it. Some updates have improved things, where others have introduced new problems\complications for people and most of the updates cause explicit problems for extensions people have made. It is why people like Rob2E have disclaimers all over the place and state that they won't try to make things compatible for FGU until it is actually released as it is currently "too much of a moving target" for them to spend all of their time to make extensions they made to work with FGC compatible with a non-fully released product. The nice part for us is that the majority of these extension creators have stated that they fully plan on supporting their extensions when FGU releases and they are very kindly also saying that they are not making us purchase extensions a second time that are FGU compatible (which in all honesty they could do, they created it to be compatible for one product, while updating them for FGU makes good logical sense for new customers going forward, these addon developers do not make an additional red cent off of those of us who have already purchased them previously). There is no requirement that extension\addon creators have to make their stuff FGU compatible and for those that are, we should consider ourselves fortunate (and thank them for the extra work they tend to go through).

While I have experienced the same growing pains that others have been going through using FGU as their "production" or campaign environment, that is ultimately on me. And I've debated and looked at moving people back to FGC to maintain a stable environment, so that each week my time is spent concentrating on preparing for a session(s), not validating that things didn't break. But at the end of the day, the FGU product is going to be better then what FGC can do currently and my group(s) will be happy with what we have to use and assist us in playing. But until it is released, we should all have the realistic expectation that it is not the finished product and to rant and rave that the "Early Access" product isn't completed yet is a bit silly.

And for the people who are looking at using FGC but already had purchased FGU, you might want to look at doing a subscription to cover the time between now and release. Unless they have an extended development cycle here beyond what they were really planning (realistically), the cost for a FGC Ultimate sub should be quite a bit less then purchasing the license, unless it takes them more then 6 months from now.

Oh, people, I guess you overinterpreted the statement of LordEntrails LordEntrails basically just said that FGU is work in progress, and, as others said, too, it is a moving target for extension developers, which is the reason that nearly noone is really coding extensions for FGU. That can cause issues when using extensions together with FGU Backwards compatibility, as claimed by Smiteworks, is with respect to the rulesets and modules officially supported by SmiteWorks (the FG store), but certainly not with respect to community extensions. For example, I certainly need to update all my extensions for FGU. When you use e.g. my height label extension then it will certainly not be usable in FGU at the moment and will cause problems and maybe also slow-downs because I overwrite a script which got changed all the time now in FGU in the last updates. Basically all extensions affecting image stuff need to be updated to FGU

Moreover, FGU runs with ruleset versions 3.3.11, FGC with 3.3.10. Already by that you can and should expect issues when using extensions since all extensions for FGC are for 3.3.10

(and no, FG certainly offers also a lot what other VTTs do not have, also without community extensions)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    Wow. That's not an answer I was expecting. All the extensions I have currently work with FGC. I would expect that they also work in FGU.
    Then as stated by others, you have the wrong expectation. For instance, FGU handles images completely differently than FGC does. So any extension (like enhanced layers) simple will not work with FGU. Now, many extensions don't touch aspects of FG that have been changed by FGU, therefore they will work with FGU as well as FGC. But not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadcast Bard View Post
    This is, bar none, 100% the wrong attitude.

The ONLY thing that sets Fantasy grounds apart is its selection of community made extensions and modules. And as they responded with, the expectation that has been set is that Fantasy Grounds Unity will be compatible with and comparable in performance to Classic.

Like seriously, take that attitude and shove it up your muffler.
    Insulting other members of this community is not acceptable. You are welcome to disagree with my statements, but you are not welcome to insult me or any other member on this forum.

Oh and LordEntrails, I have a bunch of extensions and modules loaded in that video, so I guess maybe the expectation should be that it runs well with this stuff, because I know for a fact that the Smite Works team working on FGU is fighting to get it to the point that you can run it the same way as classic, but with new and better features and a 64 bit ram.
    Then you happen to be using extensions that work in FGU. As clearly supported by others, including many community extension developers, not all extensions that work in FGC will work, or are even capable of working in FGU. And, there are even extensions now that are coded to work with FGU that will not ever work with FGC.

I am glad that all the extensions you use are working as designed in FGU. But, if you bother to check gregm's other post, you will see a much more detailed reply by me to help him figure out what he needs to do (including manually updating community extensions, which is something many people do not realize they have to do). Blaming Smiteworks for problems with FG when you are using community extensions and have not eliminated those extensions as being the cause of the problem is not fair, or useful.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information