DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Players Experiencing Very High Memory

Running the Starfinder rules for a game and all 5 players are experiencing high memory usage by the program, including the desktop at my house that my wife uses, so I see the problem first hand. With just Starfinder Core Rules and Starfinder Armory, the task manager shows the program sitting at around 3,300MB memory usage. At 3,580MB the clipboard error log pops up and starts spitting out read errors. One the GM side, I have minimized the amount of modules I have loaded, though the memory effects are not happening to me, just players. I can load every module I have and only go up to 1,600MB. This seems to only effect players. I only load Core Rules, Armory, and the current Adventure Path module.

As a reference, we last games two month ago and everyone had every module loaded, with everything running great with no issues. With us running a year worth of sessions also with no issues like this. Something definitely changed.

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

* All players have reset their cache. This was getting people to connect successfully without crashing, but memory was still high.

* I did the reset db command in the chat window

* Unloaded all my GM modules and only load a skeleton set.

I don't think I should have to unload that much stuff to run this. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues and resolved them.

I don't think hardware is the issue. This is the desktop my wife uses having the player-side issues:
    8th generation 6-core i5
    8 GB RAM
    over 1TB drive space free
    Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
    Windows 10 Home

I've been having memory issues too. What I have done is bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and then I will turn off programs that load automatically that I am not using, such as Skype, Cortana, etc. I also have 8 GB of RAM but I am considering upgrading to 16.

Problem with this particular thing is that the program is 32-bit, so it only supports 4GB, which ends up being around 3600M usable. This means you can have all the RAM you can muster, but the program is hard capped.

Blog Entries
    What is the size of your campaign directory?
    How many tokens in your \tokens\shared directory?
    How many tokens in your \tokens\host directory?

Blog Entries
    Tokens and shared images are almost always the culprit for high memory use. After you check your tokens, check the images list and see how many you have shared, and unshare anything that you don't need.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I only have a few images shared. A single battle map and a few reference card images. Shared token directory has 5 in it, at about 120k each. In the host folder inside tokens, there are 2900 onjects, totaling 179MB. Are those still cached over, even though not shared? None of them are actually used in the current adventure, so I could just shift them to a temp folder outside the main folder.

Blog Entries
    I would definitely move those tokens out as a first test.

For your 5 tokens - typically the largest these ever need to be is 200x200pixels.

tokens in shared are 256x256 pixels, created using the token maker software. I am going to run some tests on the player side tomorrow with the things I have adjusted so far.

So, if I shift the tokens outside the host directory, can I still access them?

Thread Information