Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hello and some queations.

Hello, this is my first thread here.
    I found these boards this morning while searching for legal advice and a thread from 2008 turned up in the search. So I hung out reading a few more threads. By now I have figured out that FG is a virtual table top. I have never used one of these before cause all my games are in person, but I am always looks for ways to save time and stuff. How would you say it works for in person play? I saw it mentioned but wanted to get some more opinions.

Also, I am a very amature game designer, if I may be so bold, and I had some copyright questions, which is what brought me here in the first place. Are questions about stuff like that still appropriate here?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Halo and welcome to the forums.

You can read some information in this thread about using FG to run live games.

As for legal advice we're not lawyers but can help in any way we can.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok, i have been working on a new game that i intend to release this summer. BUt there are some pretty big similarities between the mechanics of my game and Dungeons & Dragons. I have always beleived that game mechanics can't be prtoected with a copyright, but being so close to relases, it does make me nervious.

My game is a fantasy rpg.
    characters have six attributes: Agility, Might, Mind, Percepton, Stamina, and Willpower with score that range from 0 to 4 for most characters.
    Characters have skills that represent their ability to do stuff through skill checks. Thus, if a player wanted to make an attack they would add their might score to their score in the Fighting SKill and then roll 1d20 against a difficulty (normally 10) to see if they successded. And if they roll a natural 20 it is a critical hit.
    After that, most similarlity end. From my own playtests the game "feels" different from D&D when played. But, I am worried that i "looks" enough like D&D to be problamatic.

My game has no classes and no levels, characters advance by directly spending xp between games to imrpove their stats or gain new abilities called Favors. While i would hesitate to call the game "realistic" or "gritty" I did try to keep it more grounded than what you typically see in more high fantasy style games.

If anyone would like to take a look at it, I have PDF i could send you.

That doesn't sound like D&D to me.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

sounds nothing like D&D to me. you should be good

Blog Entries
    It does sound like a RPG game and in that way being similar to D&D but there are now more than a thousand different game systems/rules so it can be similar to D&D and wildly different too.
    MoreCore will work for this type of game - you might create a set of /mod rolls for your attributes and then a set of /saving 1d20>10 for the skill rolls.
    You would click on Agility and then Climb to perform your climb roll.

Ok thanks guys. I was thinking about putting a copy of the ogl in it just to cover myself, but would that even better necessary?

You'd only do that if you were using OGL material, which you aren't.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and you are right, game mechanics can't be copyrighted. That's why all the FG rulesets are available whether SW has a license for the content or not.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information