DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: D&D Beyond

D&D Beyond

Hi FG Team,

Is this new software service something that could eventually be compatible with FG. Are you guys going to remain a strong player as a VTT?

Note: From what I am seeing this will be more a tool but not a VTT. Currently with my last purchase of all D&D 5E material on FG in order not to luck out on anything this future service has me wondering if all that was done too fast. Maybe provide some input could help clear up a few questions.

Thank you
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Blog Entries
    If it's anything like D&D Insider, I would say your investment in FG was a great move

I'm pretty sure this is basically the new replacement for D&D Insider. Based on my experience with the old one, you could make a character and export it to xml, which could then be imported directly into FG. If the new one has that functionality, it might be useful; though certainly not necessary. In no way, shape or form, however, does it appear that this new version has anything to do with being a virtual tabletop.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

From what the Curse person was saying, it doesn't sound like there will be an export option.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhern View Post
    From what the Curse person was saying, it doesn't sound like there will be an export option.
    So depending on their pricing model, it is a relatively limited app -laughs-
    Still, there aren't any good phone character sheets out there. So I guess there is some value.

Personally I would use the roll20 sheet on a tablet though and fantasy grounds should be great when unity eventuallllyyyy drops and there is an android version.
    Dear lord could I go for an android version or a version that doesn't run like a snail on morphine on my windows tablet.

All of this said, if I can get monster modules for minimal cost and they function well. I would use that.

Blog Entries
    I met with the Sr. Director for the D&D Brand last Friday and this is another tool for people to use that will fill a certain niche. There might be some overlap with what we offer, but it is not being billed as a direct competitor. We have seen an increase in sales since Roll20 joined with a directly competing product, so a potentially complementary product offering could potentially help even more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I met with the Sr. Director for the D&D Brand last Friday and this is another tool for people to use that will fill a certain niche. There might be some overlap with what we offer, but it is not being billed as a direct competitor. We have seen an increase in sales since Roll20 joined with a directly competing product, so a potentially complementary product offering could potentially help even more.
    Interesting to hear that Roll20's release of official 5E content has increased FG sales. I think (and hope) you are right that another official 5E digital tool will continue that trend.

I suspect that as more digital tools become available, more people start using one digital tool, then they look at what other digital tools are available and they start using those that are good, and etc...

It still amazes me how often on other forums people show their ignorance thinking that there are not ANY digital tools available for 5E.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I don't have any insights into how they are doing, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are continually growing as well. It certainly feels like we are all still scratching the surface of what the market could actually be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Interesting to hear that Roll20's release of official 5E content has increased FG sales. I think (and hope) you are right that another official 5E digital tool will continue that trend.

I suspect that as more digital tools become available, more people start using one digital tool, then they look at what other digital tools are available and they start using those that are good, and etc...

It still amazes me how often on other forums people show their ignorance thinking that there are not ANY digital tools available for 5E.
    Its probably also people looking at what they get for their "it's free it's free" and then wondering what FG offers for comparatively a few more dollars especially when they realize "it's free it's free" is actually anything but.

However, I appear to be in a mood today, so perhaps I'm wrong about this too.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Its probably also people looking at what they get for their "it's free it's free" and then wondering what FG offers for comparatively a few more dollars especially when they realize "it's free it's free" is actually anything but.

However, I appear to be in a mood today, so perhaps I'm wrong about this too.
    I don't think you're wrong. I think what we are both getting at is that any digital tool brings in some number of people that are completely new to digital tools for RPGs. Some of those will also then migrate into other digital tools (competitors or complementary tools), so that the market of users expands and all digital tools that are perceived as being beneficial and valuable benefit.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information