STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Two damage types simultaneously

Is it possible to code for two damage types for total damage simultaneously? So instead of 1d6 acid + 1d6 fire, I want 2d6 acid AND fire. Full damage of both types. Can we do that?
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Just add 2d6 with a damage type of "acid,fire"

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Just add 2d6 with a damage type of "acid,fire"

Cheers,
    JPG
    So easy. NEVER would have figured it out. Ha!

ThanX Moon.
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    Is it possible to code for two damage types for total damage simultaneously? So instead of 1d6 acid + 1d6 fire, I want 2d6 acid AND fire. Full damage of both types. Can we do that?
    Just make sure that you are aware that if you create a weapon or whatever with two damage types like this that if the creature being attacked has resistance or immunity to one of the damage types then all of the damage done will be resisted. This might not be what you intend but it will be the result. I find it's generally better to separate the two damage types so that this kind of situation doesn't occur.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Just make sure that you are aware that if you create a weapon or whatever with two damage types like this that if the creature being attacked has resistance or immunity to one of the damage types then all of the damage done will be resisted. This might not be what you intend but it will be the result. I find it's generally better to separate the two damage types so that this kind of situation doesn't occur.
    Darn. I am in fact looking to breath my fire/acid breath all over someone. If they are fire OR acid resistant I still want them to take full damage unless they are BOTH fire and acid resistant. Sounds like that won't work then?
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

No, indeed it won't This came up in another post recently when discussing a weapon which dealt say slashing and fire damage. If the damage is slashing, fire and the target is immune to slashing damage then it will take no damage. The addition of fire damage to the weapon doesn't change the weapons slashing property. So if you want the fire part to get through then you need the fire on a separate line so that the fire damage is calculated separately from the slashing.

In your case with breath weapon damage you'll want 1d6 fire plus 1d6 acid or whatever and each damage type will be discreetly checked against any resistances or immunities. Alternatively you could give the option of breathing acid OR fire damage rather than a combination of both. That might add a little frisson of chance into the whole proceeding
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Fire OR acid, great idea. That way the DM can just roll the one the PC doesn't resist. I suppose since it can't be completely automated, that's the best way for now.
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Blog Entries
    Rob, I suspect the discussion Zacchaeus mentions is one I proposed for complete invulnerability to every form of damage. Suppose my spell caster has a scroll that adds the DMGTYPE: fire effect to another character or NPC. If the spell caster is IMMUNE: fire, because of the way DMGTYPE works he/she would become invulnerable to all damage. It's my opinion that the DMGTYPE effect should be eliminated from FG. I came away from our discussion believing it to be ambiguous and fraught with unforeseen affects with little or no applicability. Also from our discussion I came away with complete agreement with Zacchaeus, combining damage types brings a whole bag of worms with it. Personally I think combining damage types (in a single definition) should be avoided if at all possible.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    Rob, I suspect the discussion Zacchaeus mentions is one I proposed for complete invulnerability to every form of damage. Suppose my spell caster has a scroll that adds the DMGTYPE: fire effect to another character or NPC. If the spell caster is IMMUNE: fire, because of the way DMGTYPE works he/she would become invulnerable to all damage. It's my opinion that the DMGTYPE effect should be eliminated from FG. I came away from our discussion believing it to be ambiguous and fraught with unforeseen affects with little or no applicability. Also from our discussion I came away with complete agreement with Zacchaeus, combining damage types brings a whole bag of worms with it. Personally I think combining damage types (in a single definition) should be avoided if at all possible.
    The reason I was asking about it was because I was converting a module for someone that had a dragon who breathed fire/acid breath. IT got me thinking, if someone is resistant to fire OR acid, but not both, they should take full damage. I still think that, although I believe in 5E (WotC material) there isn't anything that does two damage types. I just think it would be nice to have it coded that way. But Zacchaeus' solution seems workable. Although not fully automated, the DM can attack using either damage type the PC is not resistant to.

Still would be cool if you could have multiple damage types coded though.
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    Still would be cool if you could have multiple damage types coded though.
    You can But then resistance and immunity won't work they way you want them to

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information