5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123

I’ll have to compare “invisible” with “hidden in mask”. If the latter is better, maybe keep a mask section around the border of the map to move the tokens?

Re: pin colours, I’d go further with pin images. Crossed-swords for encounter pins, etc.

Either way, FG is awesome, and I’m just nitpicking now :> .

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    Thanks all. I considered the additional pin idea. The fact that all pins are the same adds a slight inconvenience, but workable.

Three of Swords - I’m trying to avoid a long CT as well, and try to only have creatures in direct combat on the CT. I’ve played around with the token idea, but find them so washed out when hidden it’s hard to see.

Here’s what I’ve considered, given these answers have gotten me thinking (thanks!)...

• open the Encounters list, assuming the encounters are Named descriptively for the area (e.g., Crumbling Castle - Area 9 - Bugbears), try to follow from there;

• go pen-and-paper, and keep track that way, adding to CT when they “encounter” the party;

• during my prep, create a note/story item linking all the encounters, and with quick description of where they are, and have that open during the game to decide when those encounters show up, and from there drag them onto the CT

I think I like the last one best, and may give it a go.

The great thing about FG is it allows different ways of doing things, so different users/GMs can use whatever works for them.

Thanks for the ideas and brainstorming. Keep it coming if anyone else thinks of a different idea ��.
    I've experimented with many different styles. One that might work for you is using "pointers". Despite the name, they are shapes (square, cone, circle, and arrows) and they are movable. You can move them the appropriate distance in the hidden portion of the map and players won't see them. Remove the pointed with a right-click "remove this" and activate the encounter from the pin in it's original location.

Because there are three shapes it is relatively easy to keep up to three hidden groups marked using one different shape for each, and they color will match your dice so you can ensure you choose a visible one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    Yet another reason to have customizable pin colors!
    So I assume you have voted for the idea?
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=81597

And the related idea?
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=95803

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

For those remembering FG2, for story entries we had the choice to have them grouped in different colours, as well as different styles. I liked this very mich. Maybe we could reuse the art for those pin differentiations?

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    I've experimented with many different styles. One that might work for you is using "pointers". Despite the name, they are shapes (square, cone, circle, and arrows) and they are movable. You can move them the appropriate distance in the hidden portion of the map and players won't see them. Remove the pointed with a right-click "remove this" and activate the encounter from the pin in it's original location.

Because there are three shapes it is relatively easy to keep up to three hidden groups marked using one different shape for each, and they color will match your dice so you can ensure you choose a visible one.
    Thanks Gavin. I'll give that a go. I wasn't aware you could have multiple pointers on the screen at once.

Re: moving them on the hidden portion of the map, ideally (IMO) the solution would not be tied to what portions of the map is revealed. "Revealed" to me means the players know the static information in that area (e.g., a map of a dungeon they found on a body), while I move "dynamic" items the players shouldn't "see" (creatures, etc.). Obviously with FG, we have to work with masked and unmasked, which is why the pins seem to be one solution, given they are one of the few things we can "hide" from the players, regardless the revealed status of the map :> .

Thanks again! Great ideas from a number of people, that hopefully will help others than just myself.

Thread Information