FG Spreadshirt Swag

Connecting 2 instances on the same wifi?

Hello,

I will be using a laptop to host the ultimate license and run the DM and then using a PC connected to my TV to run the player version of my game. My question is is there a simple way to do this if the 2 instances of Fantasy Grounds are on the same wifi connection?

Also, I often use my PC so I have my ultimate license on my PC, but when I play games I will have to use the demo license. I tried to install 2 separate instances on my PC using different file names and folders and it appears to be working providing the 2 instances are not running simultaneously. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks

Use the internal IP address to connect inside the same network.

Quote Originally Posted by Travellintroll View Post
    Also, I often use my PC so I have my ultimate license on my PC, but when I play games I will have to use the demo license. I tried to install 2 separate instances on my PC using different file names and folders and it appears to be working providing the 2 instances are not running simultaneously. Am I overlooking something?
    Sooner or late you’re going to have issues with this install. FG stores info in the Windows registry and this is not per install, it is for Windows as a whole. The main things this effects are the license key, alias entries, data and application directory locations. So you’re going to mostly have issues with doing future updates correctly.

The best approach is to have a single install of FG, thrn remove/add your license key as required in the settings window and run an update. This will keep all of your data and files correct, but just change the base application to free or Ultimate depending on the license entered before running an update.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Some background info for you in case your're not aware of the why.

If an instance of FG tries to connect to a game and they have the same license key, you won't be able to, it will give you a license conflict. Therefore the player instance needs to have the license key removed and an update run before connecting.

Also, if your computer is powerful enough, you can run 2 instances of FG on the same computer. One you can drag to your TV as the player instance. This is what I do.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Further info: the two instances LordEntrails refers to are the same FG installation ran twice, it is not two installations. Just start another FG - right click on the first running FG task in the Windows taskbar and select "Fantasy Grounds" from the menu and a second version will run.

Then "join game" with a server name of localhost to connect to the GM instance on the same computer.

Never have more than one player instance running on the same computer and connected to the same campaign at the same time - they’ll use the same local campaign data cache and will cause issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information