Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Writing Client (Player) Notes Offline

Is there a way for a player to write notes while not connected to the host, but have the notes show up once he/she connects to the campaign.

Right now I just use Notepad, then ask the DM to start up the campaign a little early so I can copy/paste from Notepad into a Note then clean it up a little bit. It's a little bit of a pain. It would be much nicer if I could just write it up in a FG Note (while offline) and then when I connect the host imports my Note.

In Manage Characters, it doesn't appear as though you can even create a new Note.

(Oops. Dang. I meant to put this in the Tavern.)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; December 26th, 2017 at 17:44.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Minty23185Fresh, moved this to the Tavern for you.

Nope, there is no way to do this. Notes reside in the campaign database, so you need to be connected to the GM to be able to add or edit notes.

PCs are different as there is specific code to allow these to be maintained in Manage Characters, stored in the local characters cache and then uploaded (as new PCs) when the player connects to the campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Can an extension function in offline mode?

Blog Entries
    Bidmaron can smell an extension in the wind!
    I wanted to ensure one didn't already exist.

Just looking at it quickly, it appears as though a lot of infrastructure will have to be added to activate things in Manage Characters mode. But maybe, if the notetaker had a local campaign with the same name as the DM campaign he could use extensions and whatnot. Then when connecting to the DM's game the extension would just merge the clients' Notes with the DM Notes.

Well I was thinking that the extension would just Goin the notes into the character notes with a flag note. Then when you load the character, another host-side extension would detect the flag note on the character and pull out the notes and put them where they should go. A kluge but it should work

I used to create story entries for my players when they wrote their in-character re-caps. Nowadays they send me google doc files and we post them on a private web page for all of us to read.

This is the consequence of a host model as you need the server to be up. To be honest, the data you can transmit to the host is rather limited both in tool and function. I'd suggest a third party medium here rather than cutting around the bush with a set of nail clippers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    ... I'd suggest a third party medium here rather than cutting around the bush with a set of nail clippers.
    Thanks Ken L. I like this approach. As much as I love programming, I think this method suits the needs of the many in a more robust way. I don't have to bring up FG on my PC to write the note, heck I can even use my iPad...

Blog Entries
    Ken L uses an interesting analogy but I totally agree that this would be one of those exercises giving you very little value for effort...

Blog Entries
    It's not particularly organized, but I do it on the thread here on the forums, see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post364158

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information