FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Buying Bundles etc.

Hi Folks,
    Another dumb question on the character sheets. In all the tutorials I've seen, there is a good deal of data entry to add abilities. If you purchase the pre-inputted books (i.e. PHB; DMG; MM; etc) is there any automation (i.e. pick an ability from a drop down list etc) as opposed to having to enter the information yourself. I know you can drag and drop the full ability into one of the sub-radial choices by clicking on the shield icon thingy but say if I'm adding the Dwarven poison resistance or using the sneak attack for the thief, is that entered manually or do I need to do the commands (i.e. RESISToison) found in the 5E Effects on the FG Wiki. My fear is that there'd be a lot of clerical (not meaning the pious spell slinger but more administrative) errors. Also, I believe I heard that once you enter something, it's available always to use. So if I say purchase an adventure, anything new (i.e. magic items; monsters etc) can be accessed in the future. Finally, if I buy the complete WoTC bundle now, and then want to buy the Tales from the Yawning Portal next, do I get that 25% discount on that adventure? My apologies for all these questions I've been cluttering up the message board with. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Lots of questions, no problem. Not sure I will have answers for all of them though.

- Automation from purchased books: You drag and drop onto the character sheet, rather than any pulldown. Not sure what else you are asking here... Not everything is automated, even when you drag and drop. In those cases it has to be inputted manually as detailed in the Wiki. You can make administrative errors.
    - Once you purchase/install an adventure, you can always activate it again and copy items/NPC's from it into any campaign of the same ruleset as the module.
    - Yes, once you complete the bundle, all future purchases (as new things come out) qualify for the bundle.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi,

5E Effects like the examples you gave would have to be created each time a character sheet needed them. But once they are added to the action tab of the character, they would always be available to the character unless deleted. Building effects is a huge subject but learnable if you take it in pieces. Both the wiki and searching the forum usually yields a clear example of how to create them. Additionally, there's some other good resources available.

I recommend Zaccheaus' serices of character sheets "A Complete X" X being the class of interest. He made all of the class effects up to level 20 for each of the listed classes. You can find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ul-information

Rob2E has a great .mod file of effects, you can get it on the DMSGuild. Over 200 effects I think.

There's another - the Effect Wizard.ext - that might help for creating and/or seeing examples of effect syntax. Find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...=effect+wizard

I hope this was part of what you were asking.

There's a good overview video on how drag/drop works in 5E here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeUCreating
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Folks, thanks for all this information. Lord, thanks for answering my questions. Also, I really liked that tutorial too Trenloe - so thanks for that - they were well done. Also, those recommendations / links are interesting Garth. A question on Rob Twohy's effects (he did a bunch of them). If you buy the books, wouldn't this be included with that or is that not the case and this is beyond that. For a dollar each, I'm fine just getting them I think if it is additional "stuff" that makes it just a drag and drop type of thing. Also, how would these be added / show up. Do they show up as a custom pack or something in the library? Thanks.

Rob's Effects package is a module (.mod) so you copy it to your Module folder in Fantasy Grounds directory structure and then you could open it in your library. After that the effects show up in the Effects window (the little man in the small set of buttons in the top right of the desktop). FG with the 5E ruleset has about 15 or 20 of effects already linked and the window has a big white space where GM's can record their own effects. Rob's show up in this window. You can search it to quickly drill down to the effect you are looking for.

I've not seen how it looks on the player side so I don't know if they show up for players or not. But the GM is typically the one applying effects to the characters in the combat tracker during a fight. If it's something that needs to be added to a character's sheet then the GM could use Rob's effect as an example of the syntax to create one on the sheet.

Thanks Garth. So that does sound useful. What about some of the other things like "Race Ability Mod & Key Class Features"; "Spells & Cantrips Known, Prepared per Class" and "Feat List w/Benefits"? Do these do anything beyond what the WoTC complete bundle provide?

Those sound like more of Rob2E's mods and I like them as well. Unlike the effect thing though, the ones you mentioned are quick reference charts that put all of those character building data groups on single documents. They're helpful for a DM to quickly look up a reference by class, background or race. They can be helpful to players to easily compare the different ability and features.

Hi Garth,
    Hmmm - there is something more than a paper quick reference chart. According to Rob, "Purchase of this item includes two PDFs as well as the module to use it in the Fantasy Grounds VTT software." Not really being proficient with the software, I'm not sure what the modules would do here. If you have any clue, feel free to let me know. Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    So there should be a few files to download from the DMsG; pdfs and a .mod file. The .mod goes into your "<FG Data>/Modules" folder. Then you will have to activate the module the next time you are in a 5E campaign from your "Library > Modules" window.

Did you get that far?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information