STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 12 First ... 2101112
    It harks back to the age-old saying "No gaming is better than bad gaming". Don't stick at a group that is leaving a bad taste in your mouth every time you play. As others have suggested you can run your own game, or keep trying for good groups (they ARE out there).

Yep, don't play if it's a bad/mediocre game.

Jump into all sorts of games - especially one-offs so that you can learn which GMs and player you enjoy playing with. Then look to form a group with those type of people at the nucleus. FG Con is an ideal place to do this (FG Con 10 has just finished, next one in April), FGDaze! events or just a GM running a one shot. Look out for them and join them - even if it's a system you're unfamiliar with (just let the GM know ahead of time).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is a very good thread with lots of uplifting posts as well as lots of good advice. It also lets a lot of new players know they are not alone and that many of us have mostly gotten past some of the problems inherent in online gaming.
    2 thing I wanted to mention though. The OP has not been on in about a month, and the title of this thread is depressing and at the top of the page.
    I would like to see the best parts of this thread made into a Sticky titled something like, "Trouble finding a good game? Read This".
    Just a thought.
    The entire Universe has been neatly divided into things to: A. mate with; B. eat; C. run away from; and D. Rocks. - T. Pratchett

Yes I second that Victor Change the title to something more positive, this post has turned into more of a informative post and hey if if you cant help to fix try not to make it worse kind of thing.

I don't think false optimism is good. The whole point of this thread is that finding a good group or getting a campaign started isn't fun and easy. It's hard work and can take a while, but is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Hammer View Post
    I don't think false optimism is good. The whole point of this thread is that finding a good group or getting a campaign started isn't fun and easy. It's hard work and can take a while, but is worth it.
    The issue is that the title is vague and misleading. It reads like a Facebook post with no indication of the actual content.

Even if it just said "Finding groups is demoralizing. Help needed" it would be a huge improvement.

Blog Entries
    Unless the OP wants to change the Title it should stay as is.
    The OP had a point she/he wished to make.
    If the thread goes off on another direction later on that doesnt change the original thread intent.

Far be it from me to suggest any sort of censorship, very far. I would not change a thing about this thread.

What I meant though was that the OP brings up some common problems, but eventually this thread will go into obscurity. Making a Sticky that recognizes the issues realistically and gives advice to new players may help out.
    The entire Universe has been neatly divided into things to: A. mate with; B. eat; C. run away from; and D. Rocks. - T. Pratchett

Blog Entries
    If you can make a 1st level character quickly, I can probably fit one player in tonight at 7 PM Pacific time. Look for us in Roslof Keep on the FG teamspeak server and I can give you the server to connect to.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Since we've wandered into the GM advice area, I'm going to add anther link. A lot of you have probably already seen it, but those who haven't, and are participating int his thread probably are open to learning and thinking about GMing. So, check out this thread I put together, GM Advice, and feel free to add suggestions to it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information