Town Backdrop: Dulwich
Raging Swan Press
Town Backdrop: Dulwich
The growing trade town of Dulwich looms over the Great Salt Mire in the Duchy of Ashlar. A veritable torrent of lumber from the nearby forest enriches its citizens’ coffers and emboldens the growing merchant class. Dulwich’s lord, Wido Gall, resists the merchants’ efforts to topple his rule while coveting the nearby village of Longbridge. Both sides seek support from the followers of Conn, hoping to sway the newly appointed and young high priestess. Meanwhile, adventurers flock to the town’s inns and taverns, preparing their own expeditions into the ruins hidden in the nearby Forest of Gray Spires.
By John Bennett
Map by Tommi Salama
Most of Dulwich comprises peasant homes and businesses of little note. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Dulwich Keep: Seat of the Gall family, the squat Dulwich Keep lies at the heart of Wido Gall’s machinations. The town guard are based here and the dungeons below the keep house lawbreakers and those who fall foul of Wido.
- The Lawgiver’s Hall: The lofty spire of this elaborate cathedral dominates Dulwich’s skyline. Its new high priestess—Vuokko Laiten—is courted by both sides in the ongoing struggle for power in the town.
- Lumberyard and Guild Hall: The lumber guild is particularly wealthy and influential; their holdings reflect their status.
- The Dancing Bear: Run by the former half-elven adventurer Nurlon Rekinen this is a popular drinking establishment for adventurers and off-duty guardsmen.
- Nalthra’s Jewellery: Nalthra is the most renowned jeweller in Dulwich. She dwells in the top floor of this three-storey building. She might not always offer the best price for gems and jewellery, but she can handle large deals.
- The East Gate: This sprawling inn is popular with Dulwich’s wealthy and well-to-do. The Black Cats—a gang of skilled burglars—have infiltrated the place and spy on rich marks.
- The Golden Skull: This dingy, forgettable watering hole is secretly the Shadow Spider’s headquarters. A fighting pit and gambling hall lies beneath the tavern in a series of ancient, dingy tunnels.
- Eronen’s Safe Travels: This large general store is run by the retired, one-armed adventurer Henni Eronen. He stocks any mundane equipment a prospective adventurer might need for a wilderness trek.
- Saini Alanen’s House: Home to Dulwich’s most renowned sage, the ground floor of this building also serves as a public library. The wizardess dwells on the top floor and is available to hire for private research projects.
- Dulwich Marketplace: This bustling daily market hosts numerous stalls and booths. Street performers are rife here as are wandering merchants and pick pockets. Anything for sale in Dulwich can be had here. Many of the more affluent merchants maintain shops or businesses elsewhere.
- Cemetery and Catacombs: The town graveyard; recently rumours of strange goings-on have begun to cluster about the catacombs and surrounding mausoleums.
Most of the population are nothing more than hardworking peasants. A few, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Almina Mastonen runs a crew of burglars calling themselves the Black Cats. She works at the East Gate.
- Henni Eronen A former adventurer, Henni runs an outfitter’s store and organizes the local guides. She is extremely knowledgeable about the surrounding area.
- Nalthra Rekunen is a renowned jeweller, catering to Dulwich’s wealthy. She frequently seeks precious gems to work into pieces of art, but is renowned for not offering the best prices.
- Nurlon Rekunen, A former adventurer and Nalthra’s twin brother, Nurlon runs the Dancing Bear which caters to adventurers and travellers.
- Orkus Darzak Driven insane while adventuring in Gloamhold, Orkus worships Braal by animating the dead of Dulwich. He lurks in the tunnels and catacombs beneath the cemetery.
- Ossi Karppanen Head of the lumber guild, Ossi seeks to instate a ruling council of merchants. He is one of the richest people in Dulwich, and consequently has much power and influence.
- Saini Alanen Saini oversees a small, independent library where she conducts research on the local area and assists in political matters.
- Tuula Tenhunen Nick-named the “Iron Maiden” due to her mask, Tuula leads the town guard and is fiercely loyal to Wido.
- Voitto Markku Voitto leads the Shadow Spiders—Dulwich’s infamous thieves’ guild. He is an odious, dangerous fellow.
- Vuokko Laiten Though young, Vuokko is the new high priestess of Conn.
- Wido Gall A noble and a wizard, Wido rules over Dulwich. He seeks to extend his influence to the nearby village of Longbridge.
- Zado This enigmatic, masked street performer plies his trade in Dulwich’s marketplace. However, his real trade is in secrets and information.
Town Backdrop: Dulwich is designed for use with the 5th edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game. Fantasy Grounds conversion includes all NPCs in Fantasy Grounds format in encounters by location to make the DM’s job easier.
Fantasy Grounds Conversion by: Michael G. Potter
Requires: An active subscription or a one time purchase of a Fantasy Grounds Full or Ultimate license and the included 5E Ruleset.
Copyright © 2017 Raging Swan Press, used with permission, all rights reserved.
Fantasy Grounds is a trademark of SmiteWorks USA LLC. © 2017 SmiteWorks USA LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Released on September 06, 2017
Designed for Fantasy Grounds version 3.2.2 and higher.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought