Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

More Players = More Lag?

I am recently new to FGU and I have noticed that things take some time to load when I am by myself on the game, but as soon as my players join the loading increases from seconds to minutes and the whole program locks up and becomes unresponsive. Took several minutes to open the calendar, to open the actions tab on a PC Spellcaster, or to just search the NPC list for examples. Is there any thing you guys do to help speed up performance? I have been pre-loading the buttons before my player log in to try to cut down on the loading.

EDIT: It's only the host that seems to be having the lock ups.

I am having such "not responding" also, but only from time to time, and only for about 10sec to max 20 sec.
    It always happens when people connect to me, and sometime in the game when opening any maps, images , books ....
    Doesnt matter if 1 or 5 players join, at least for me.
    Would be interesting if such lag problems are more often when using the cloud service.
    Would like to not use the cloud service, but for any reason I simply dont get the port farwarding activated for 1802 on my new PC, was np on my old PC, but will address this in the right topic

I have the same problem as do many others who have a decent amount of modules loaded. They said they'll be working on optimization soon. Not much you can do on your end. Even people with higher end systems are experiencing this.

You've already gotten good advice that many people are experiencing this. The only thing I've heard people report some success around improving these pauses is switching from the lobby-server to port forwarding. The lobby server does relay network traffic between the DM and players, and if the lobby server is overloaded it can be a bottleneck passing traffic and slow networking can manifest as pauses.

Networking is NOT the only source of pauses, and the lobby server is getting more stable and performant every week... so this may not help. Some folks have reported marginal improvement by switching to port-forwarding, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Noonien View Post
    Would like to not use the cloud service, but for any reason I simply dont get the port farwarding activated for 1802 on my new PC, was np on my old PC, but will address this in the right topic
    Are you using UDP? FGC requires you to forward TCP, FGU requires you to forward UDP. If you have and use both, you should forward both.

Try launching FGU as admin. I've run sessions with 7 players and a DM (I was the DM). Another good practice is to load only the modules you really need for a given session.

Edit: I also use the LAN. Cloud never really worked for us.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

DMs Guild Creator

Quote Originally Posted by 4wire View Post
    Try launching FGU as admin.
    This advice goes around a lot, but I don't recommend it at all. I've never seen it recommended by a dev, and I've never seen any technical justification provided at all for why it might work.

1. Without a controlled experiment to document the performance difference, I find it nearly impossible to believe that there is one. It's just not really how computers work, and there are MANY confounding factors that might lead one to THINK that it helped when in fact something else lead to the performance change... coincidentally... at the same time one ran as admin.
    2. There are a large number of permissions things that can go wrong if you swap back and forth between running things as a user and as an admin. I don't know how many of the potential issues affect FGU, but unless one really knows what they're doing it's WAY more linkely to do harm harm than good with this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    This advice goes around a lot, but I don't recommend it at all. I've never seen it recommended by a dev, and I've never seen any technical justification provided at all for why it might work.

1. Without a controlled experiment to document the performance difference, I find it nearly impossible to believe that there is one. It's just not really how computers work, and there are MANY confounding factors that might lead one to THINK that it helped when in fact something else lead to the performance change... coincidentally... at the same time one ran as admin.
    2. There are a large number of permissions things that can go wrong if you swap back and forth between running things as a user and as an admin. I don't know how many of the potential issues affect FGU, but unless one really knows what they're doing it's WAY more linkely to do harm harm than good with this advice.
    1. You have the right to your opinion but launching as admin is low risk with a trusted application like FGU. Running as admin gives more priority to the process and removes some of the double checking done by the OS. I've done it enough by now (with/without) to confirm it makes a difference.

2. You are still the same user but elevating the app to admin. All files under users are still assigned to you. I know what I'm doing, thanks for caring.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

DMs Guild Creator

Blog Entries
    2. You are still the same user but elevating the app to admin. All files under users are still assigned to you. I know what I'm doing, thanks for caring.
    You do, but not everyone else who reads your continued advice to do this does. There is a difference between doing something yourself, and advising others with unknown knowledge to do the same. If you are going to provide advise that assumes a certain level of knowledge, then you should make clear what that knowledge should be.

I can (and have) changed out the axle on my car, but I don't blindly advise others to do so.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You do, but not everyone else who reads your continued advice to do this does. There is a difference between doing something yourself, and advising others with unknown knowledge to do the same. If you are going to provide advise that assumes a certain level of knowledge, then you should make clear what that knowledge should be.

I can (and have) changed out the axle on my car, but I don't blindly advise others to do so.
    I guess I may have been wrong in thinking the Beta users had a minimum of knowledge. Also the analogy may not be very fitting here, windows does ask you if you are sure... and the risk seems relatively low. I only suggested to try, sharing my own experiments. If you, or the dev team, don't think it is a good idea, you can just say so.

DMs Guild Creator

I guess I may have been wrong in thinking the Beta users had a minimum of knowledge. Also the analogy may not be very fitting here, windows does ask you if you are sure... and the risk seems relatively low. I only suggested to try, sharing my own experiments. If you, or the dev team, don't think it is a good idea, you can just say so.
    I don't think he suggested it was a bad idea just it is a good idea not to make assumptions about another individuals level of experience. People with minimal familiarity with operating systems are likely to be conditioned to think privilege elevation might be unsafe (movies, tv, scary warnings across the internet, etc.)

Also the beta is currently open to anyone who wants in enough to buy in, so no there is no level of experience required or expected.

It seems like your just trying to be helpful and that's awesome but consider being more explainy if people don't get it and don't take responses of uncertainty in your ideas as anything more than being uncertain or nervous.

Thread Information