DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Grid size on NPC cards

I've been looking over the NPC cards to see if there was a way to make larger creatures automatically take up more space on the map (like, 10x10 instead of the default 5x5). I cannot find this option, does it exist or am I just missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Draykor View Post
    I've been looking over the NPC cards to see if there was a way to make larger creatures automatically take up more space on the map (like, 10x10 instead of the default 5x5). I cannot find this option, does it exist or am I just missing it?
    Creatures are set in the number of squares they take up according to the ruleset. So if you want it automatically different from what the ruleset sets then you'd need an extension. You will no doubt be aware that once on a map you can make the token bigger by using the mouse wheel.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The "space" field in the CT entry "Stats" tab determines how much space the NPC token takes up on the map. This defaults to 5 (one square) unless the creature "Size" field is set to Large, Huge or Gargantuan - it must exactly match these values (case insensitive). Looking at some of the adventure modules, the creatures have a size value of a single letter, plus usually a height/length - and these aren't catered for in the D&D 2E ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you very much. I will make changes and update cards where necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Draykor View Post
    By default the ruleset uses the creatures "size" to determine a size and uses that. If you place a small creature it will be smaller than if you place a Purple Worm.

Once they are on the map you can adjust the size in the "Stats" tab in the combat tracker to make them bigger/smaller as well.
    Last edited by celestian; May 17th, 2024 at 01:14.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset FGU Reference Module, or Web.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The "space" field in the CT entry "Stats" tab determines how much space the NPC token takes up on the map. This defaults to 5 (one square) unless the creature "Size" field is set to Large, Huge or Gargantuan - it must exactly match these values (case insensitive). Looking at some of the adventure modules, the creatures have a size value of a single letter, plus usually a height/length - and these aren't catered for in the D&D 2E ruleset.
    It should work fine with single letter or full name. T,S,L,H,G/etc should match tiny, small, large, huge, gargantuan...

Some products use different types of sizes depending on how old the product is, who wrote it/etc so if they go outside of the above they will use the default medium size.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    It should work fine with single letter or full name. T,S,L,H,G/etc should match tiny, small, large, huge, gargantuan...
    The single letters didn't work in the testing I did, and looking at the code in 2E.pak it was looking for exact matches on Large, Huge or Gargantuan - unless there's a check somewhere else in the ruleset?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The single letters didn't work in the testing I did, and looking at the code in 2E.pak it was looking for exact matches on Large, Huge or Gargantuan - unless there's a check somewhere else in the ruleset?
    Under function helperAddSize(tCustom).

Code:
        if sSize == "tiny" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "T") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 0);
        elseif sSize == "small" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "S") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 3);
        elseif sSize == "medium" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "M") then
        elseif sSize == "large" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "L") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 6);
        elseif string.find(sSizeNoLower, "GIANT") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "space", "number", 10);
        elseif sSize == "huge" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "H") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 9);
        elseif sSize == "gargantuan" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "G") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "space", "number", 15);
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 12);
        end
    You can pre-set it per NPC record setting size with this in it: TOKEN_SIZE:%s?%d+

Locally works for me, tested with purple worm.
    Last edited by celestian; May 17th, 2024 at 00:53.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Under function helperAddSize(tCustom).

Code:
        if sSize == "tiny" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "T") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 0);
        elseif sSize == "small" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "S") then
        elseif sSize == "medium" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "M") then
        elseif sSize == "large" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "L") then
        elseif string.find(sSizeNoLower, "GIANT") then
        elseif sSize == "huge" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "H") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 9);
        elseif sSize == "gargantuan" or string.find(sSizeNoLower, "G") then
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "space", "number", 15);
            DB.setValue(tCustom.nodeCT, "init", "number", 12);
        end
    You can pre-set it per NPC record setting size with this in it: TOKEN_SIZE:%s?%d+

Locally works for me, tested with purple worm.
    All I did to test - edit a random NPC to have "L" in the size field. Dragged that NPC to the Combat Tracker and then checked the space entry in the "Stats" tab of the NPC in the CT and it showed Size = 5. Dragged to the map and it took up one square.

Attached Images Attached Images

Large doesn't change size. It's not until they are H and above (see code snippet) that tokens have different size. I added in a test to match "GIANT" specifically though ('G' matches gargantuan). Ogres being same since a giants didnt make sense to me.
    ---

Thread Information