DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FG as hosted cloud service?

Does anyone know if there are plans to make FG available as a cloud service?

No plans are announced so far. To do that they have to modify the current architecture and this is time consuming and major endeavor.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Plus associated costs. Running a server somewhere costs a non-trivial amount of $$$. Including support costs of should the cloud fail for some reason, they would get a whole lot of grief.

I'd like to see https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135371 implemented so that users who would like to run their own cloud instance (say, in AWS). Or there is some information somewhere where one could install FGU into an AWS instance and use remote desktop (of some form) to control the GM side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Or there is some information somewhere where one could install FGU into an AWS instance and use remote desktop (of some form) to control the GM side.
    I haven't tried with FGU, so maybe AWS has some port or firewall issues that could not be overcome, but we do similar all the time with different applications. Install them on an AWS instance and then remote in and work/run it like we are local. Pretty sure there are posts/comments around here from people who have done just that.

For those technically competent to run a server, this shouldn't be much of a challenge. Am I wrong?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you launch it as a LAN/Local game, then there's just the one port that you'd have to port-forward in AWS. It shouldn't be a challenge. Just that in my experience, I find that using a remote desktop introduces way too much lag for my liking. Which is why I'd like the separate server vs. gm interface. The network demands tends to be much lower with that sort of separation.

Thread Information