DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 16 of 28 First ... 6141516171826 ... Last

Thread: PFRPG Spellbook

Quote Originally Posted by DCrumb View Post
    Cause Fear could have effects added to it. They could be frightened for d4 rounds and a second effect of shaken for a round. Since these effects are already built in to PF ruleset, just need to use their names and all of the actual effects (attack rolls, saving rolls, etc.) are already calculated by the PF ruleset.
    Those effects have already been added to the Cause Fear spell.

When the spellbook gets updated, it doesn't change the spells that have already been added to a character's spell classes.
    To leverage the new improvements, the spell must be removed and added again to the character's list.

There is a statistical problem with hellfire ray.
    1d6 damage per caster level, half fire half unholy
    Is not the same as 1d3 fire+1d3 unholy per caster level.
    2d3 is 4 damage per level
    1d6 is 3.5 damage per level
    There is no good way of doing this, but what I do is split it:
    1d6 fire per even caster level (max 7)
    1d6 unholy per odd caster level max 8)

I am guessing that the same might be said to others spells like flame strike, but I have not looked at other spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Svandal View Post
    There is a statistical problem with hellfire ray.
    1d6 damage per caster level, half fire half unholy
    Is not the same as 1d3 fire+1d3 unholy per caster level.
    2d3 is 4 damage per level
    1d6 is 3.5 damage per level
    There is no good way of doing this, but what I do is split it:
    1d6 fire per even caster level (max 7)
    1d6 unholy per odd caster level max 8)

I am guessing that the same might be said to others spells like flame strike, but I have not looked at other spells.
    Great point Svandal. Let me think on this some more.

I like your approach but it also comes with it's own issues (as you said, no good answer). For your example, someone who has fire resistance gets the short end of the stick at odd caster levels as the odd level 1d6 is purely unholy so it all gets applied instead of half of it being absorbed by the fire resistance. Mathematically is that worse than just halving everything (which as you pointed out increases the overall damage)? My statistical mathematics skills are not up to the task of figuring that out right now. But I will look at it some more and see if I can answer that question

What we need is the ability to do something like: "DMG: 10d6 fire+unholy" or "DMG: 10d6 fire/2" (or Hfire). But of course all those options require ruleset/extension support.

I found some fixes for you!
    Sunburst
    's 6d6 should do half damage on a save.
    Flame Strike's damage should only be half fire damage, the rest is untyped.
    Form of the Dragon III doesn't give energy resistance but rather energy immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    I found some fixes for you!
    Sunburst
    's 6d6 should do half damage on a save.
    Flame Strike's damage should only be half fire damage, the rest is untyped.
    Form of the Dragon III doesn't give energy resistance but rather energy immunity.
    Thanks bmos.

I have changed Form of the Dragon III, as well as Form of the Alien Dragon III and Form of the Exotic Dragon III (these both had the same issue as Form of the Dragon III) -- This change is currently in my local copy only.

For Sunburst and Flame Strike, can you confirm that you have the most recent version of the Spell book and test again?

I show that Sunburst already does half damage on save and Flame Strike already has half its damage as untyped.

sunburst.jpg
    Flame Strike.jpg
    Last edited by dllewell; January 31st, 2021 at 04:21.

Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post
    Thanks bmos.

I have changed Form of the Dragon III, as well as Form of the Alien Dragon III and Form of the Exotic Dragon III (these both had the same issue as Form of the Dragon III) -- This change is currently in my local copy only.

For Sunburst and Flame Strike, can you confirm that you have the most recent version of the Spell book and test again?

I show that Sunburst already does half damage on save and Flame Strike already has half its damage as untyped.

sunburst.jpg
    Flame Strike.jpg
    Thanks, I wondered if I was just using old versions of something. I'll re-add to that character.
    At least one of them was an improvement

Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post
    Great point Svandal. Let me think on this some more.

I like your approach but it also comes with it's own issues (as you said, no good answer). For your example, someone who has fire resistance gets the short end of the stick at odd caster levels as the odd level 1d6 is purely unholy so it all gets applied instead of half of it being absorbed by the fire resistance. Mathematically is that worse than just halving everything (which as you pointed out increases the overall damage)? My statistical mathematics skills are not up to the task of figuring that out right now. But I will look at it some more and see if I can answer that question
    Ok. Splitting the dice like I proposed makes the outcome have a larger variance to creatures that are immune to fire or have high resistance. Damage average will be the same.
    What this means is. If we have a caster level 8 mage casts hellfire ray vs fire immune creature. There will be a significantly more chance to do 24 damage (4d6 unholy is 24 max) and a significantly higher chance to do 4 damage to creature than if half was unholy. If a normal hellfire ray where to do 4 damage you would have to roll 8 1s on 8d6 normally, but with my method you would only have to roll 4 1s on 4d6.
    Like I said average is the same.

Since we have unholy damage on odd caster levels you would do an average of 3.5/2=1.75 more damage on odd caster levels vs fire immune creatures.
    Vs fire resistance it would only matter if the fire resistance is high enough. If for example a caster level 11 would do almost the same average vs fire resistance 10 creature with my method as if he had done half fire half unholy. 5d6 has a really low chance of rolling less than 10 fire damage.

Note that my method does less damage on odd caster level vs vulnerable to fire creatures.

So I am not sure if it is a slight boost or slight nerf to have unholy damage on odd caster levels since you will not cast fire spells vs fire immune or high fire resistance creatures

Edit: 1.75 damage more, not 3.5. fixed in text on damage vs fire immune on odd caster levels
    Last edited by Svandal; February 1st, 2021 at 17:33.

In the main module listing, the Oracle seems missing.
    oraclemissing.png

Thread Information