STAR TREK 2d20

Suggestion (for FGUnity): Desktop Tabs - multiple desktop spaces (specifically maps)

Before details, here is my group's use case and reason for this request. Our group all plays locally with a custom table with TV to display maps with minis. We have been using Roll20 for quite some time and I haven't completely sold everyone on shifting to Fantasy Grounds due to a few things they find clunky; specifically related to the display and navigation of maps. Additionally, screen space is a premium when we're all using laptops and tablets, therefore we often have overlapping windows in FG and it makes finding things difficult at times. To display the map on the TV, each time a map is displayed, it must be resized to fill the table TV, which is a manual and somewhat clunky process.

For better organization and easy of use, I suggest the ability to make tabbed desktop spaces. So one could have their main tab which would operate as FG does today... shared items show up there and it operates as the main workspace. But a window (like a image for a map) could be either sent to another tab as a window or made full screen as a new tab. So I could say have a tab with multiple windows of story and notes records, another tab with multiple windows of my spell list with spell descriptions, and another tab with a full screen map. There should be an option to open images in the main tab or automatically full screen in a new tab.

We also need the option to hide UI elements on those tabs. So on the full screened map tab, we should be able to hide the chat box, right side navigation buttons, hotkeys, and dice so that all that is displayed on that tab is the map. It would also be great if the combat tracker had a minimalist version that could be set to always on top (and maybe reduced opacacy sp?). So on the table TV, the controller could display the full screen map tab, with other UI elements hidden, and a combat tracker that simply shows the turn order and initiative so it takes up less space (versus the current window that even on the player side takes up like 1/5th of the screen).

Personally, I like FG and see a lot of value for myself as GM, but I've got to sell my players on it and the above feature would give them a lot more ways to organize things and make playing locally with a table TV much, much easier.

This thread might be if interest to you then for resizing the maps.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games

Run a seperate instance on your machine and log into ip localhost and that is the player view, throw that onto your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    This thread might be if interest to you then for resizing the maps.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games

Run a seperate instance on your machine and log into ip localhost and that is the player view, throw that onto your tv.
    I did find that extension previously, but due to a conflict with another extension I was looking at I hadn't installed it in the campaign. I'll give it another look and see if that helps the player running the table.

On a separate note, with our table, one of the players controls the table so that the GM (who already has so much to manage) can focus on the story, encounters, etc. Because of the way FG caches information for the player, this a a problem for the player that controls the table because FG isn't multimonitor aware (so they can't drag a window in FG to another screen) and if they run a second instance both instances use the same cache folder and they stomp on each other when the GM shares content. So unless FG comes up with a way to designate the cache folder for a specific running instance, that player either needs a dedicated machine for the table or has to run a VM just for the table.

Blog Entries
    Note, though discussion on suggestions is great on the forum, make sure to check the items in the wishlist and if what you are looking for is not there, then add it. Also probably place the link back in the discussion thread so people can vote on it.

The wishlist is important as the devs use it to track things rather than allowing them to get lost in the forums.
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I like the idea of window docking as in, say, MS Visual Studio's IDE.

Docking should also include tabbed documents within those windows (Doc tabs at top, section tabs on side, with alternate options), as well as standard floating windows. The combat tracker is a good example where this could be used in the Starfinder ruleset. PCs CT and Starships CT could be docked into the one window for easy swapping via tabs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonbait View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I like the idea of window docking as in, say, MS Visual Studio's IDE.

Docking should also include tabbed documents within those windows (Doc tabs at top, section tabs on side, with alternate options), as well as standard floating windows. The combat tracker is a good example where this could be used in the Starfinder ruleset. PCs CT and Starships CT could be docked into the one window for easy swapping via tabs.
    Windows in FG are not true windows.

Thread Information