STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 100 First 12341252 ... Last
    Just to make sure that I'm not doing something incorrectly. If I have something like a Sword of Wounding which applies an effect to the target rather than the user of the weapon this extension won't handle such things will it? If I place the effect DMGO:1d4, necrotic onto the weapon and place the PC on the CT then the damage is applied to the PC whenever their turn comes around and fails to apply anything to the target.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Awesome! BTW is this something that's remotely possible with the pathfinder ruleset?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Just to make sure that I'm not doing something incorrectly. If I have something like a Sword of Wounding which applies an effect to the target rather than the user of the weapon this extension won't handle such things will it? If I place the effect DMGO:1d4, necrotic onto the weapon and place the PC on the CT then the damage is applied to the PC whenever their turn comes around and fails to apply anything to the target.
    DMGO: 1d6 (action only) doesn't give them it but DMG: 1d6 does apply 1d6 extra.

I suspect it's because DMGO is a applied effect, not a "effect" itself (like dmg, ac, init/etc). Like it wouldn't apply "frightened" to a target either.

Would need some sort of feature in effects to apply another effect to get it to work as you're wanting. Far as I know not something that can be done with the 5E ruleset right now but not out of the realm of possibilities for an extension.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    DMGO: 1d6 (action only) doesn't give them it but DMG: 1d6 does apply 1d6 extra.

I suspect it's because DMGO is a applied effect, not a "effect" itself (like dmg, ac, init/etc). Like it wouldn't apply "frightened" to a target either.

Would need some sort of feature in effects to apply another effect to get it to work as you're wanting. Far as I know not something that can be done with the 5E ruleset right now but not out of the realm of possibilities for an extension.
    Thanks I just wanted to check. I'm probably misunderstanding your statement but when setting up effects for 5e you can specify whether the effect will apply to self (which is what all of the effects in your extension do) or to targets which would be the one needed to apply the effect to the target(s) such as the one I described. So in my example the 'normal' effect would apply to targets as would a similarly set up effect of frightened,
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Thanks I just wanted to check. I'm probably misunderstanding your statement but when setting up effects for 5e you can specify whether the effect will apply to self (which is what all of the effects in your extension do) or to targets which would be the one needed to apply the effect to the target(s) such as the one I described. So in my example the 'normal' effect would apply to targets as would a similarly set up effect of frightened,
    You can certainly have effects within "powers" that do that but I don't have an option for targeting (or expend)... if I understand what you are asking? But, far as I know there is no way within the 5E ruleset to have an effect apply another effect. I mean, CAN you have a "IFT:TYPE(dragon);DMGO: 1d6" anywhere and it work? or "IFT:TYPE(dragon);frightened" ?

Right now that's how the advanced effects work. They don't apply an effect on the target like the "powers" abilities do, they simply use effects within the scope of the items attack/damage.

You have got me thinking how cool it would be if it did.... I must think about it.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    You can certainly have effects within "powers" that do that but I don't have an option for targeting (or expend)... if I understand what you are asking? But, far as I know there is no way within the 5E ruleset to have an effect apply another effect. I mean, CAN you have a "IFT:TYPE(dragon);DMGO: 1d6" anywhere and it work? or "IFT:TYPE(dragon);frightened" ?

Right now that's how the advanced effects work. They don't apply an effect on the target like the "powers" abilities do, they simply use effects within the scope of the items attack/damage.

You have got me thinking how cool it would be if it did.... I must think about it.
    No, no. I wasn't implying that an effect can apply another effect. And I see now what it is you were meaning. There are quite a few items however that apply an effect to a target rather than adding something to the wielder of the item. The Weapon of Wounding is just one example where the attacker doesn't necessarily get any kind of bonus to attack or damage but the target does get a wound applied. Such an effect can't be added to the weapon but has to be applied by the wielder once damage is sorted out.

I have generally avoided a lot of chaining of actions (such as attack->damage->effect), because there are so many exceptions and reaction options that can't be determined in advance. If you wanted to do chaining right, I would think you would need a whole action "stack" of what was applied to each creature, and be able to undo actions on the stack, or at least review the action stack.

As for simplify providing an area for weapons to have effects which could be applied (like spells), that seems like a simpler task, and avoids chaining.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I have generally avoided a lot of chaining of actions (such as attack->damage->effect), because there are so many exceptions and reaction options that can't be determined in advance. If you wanted to do chaining right, I would think you would need a whole action "stack" of what was applied to each creature, and be able to undo actions on the stack, or at least review the action stack.

As for simplify providing an area for weapons to have effects which could be applied (like spells), that seems like a simpler task, and avoids chaining.

Cheers,
    JPG
    I had been thinking about chaining and you're right it opens a whole nuther kettle of fish.

It would be simpler (in the scheme of things) to add a "onhit" / "ondamage" type that is applied to the target(s). The only complication I can think of is... do some of the "apply on hit" effects need to have saves also? Is that a thing in 5e? Or does the "I hit so it works" always prevail?
    ---

I just installed this very useful extension and had an unusual observation with it.
    By the way, many thanks for this as it is proving to be something I would want to use all the time!

I applied a simple "DMGTYPE: silver" to a weapon as a result of purchasing powdered silver from one of my Vendors (DOE: Locations Extension).
    I know I can just add it to the characters record sheet but just wanted to put this extension to immediate use and testing.

When the PC equipped it, the extension placed (2) identical effects to the CT.
    When the PC 'not carried' it, the extension removed just (1) of the effects.
    When the PC 'carried' it, the extension removed the other (1) effect.

I realize it is a trivial point, but wanted to point it out because the effect from the weapon applied to any other weapon equipped and used.

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder View Post
    I just installed this very useful extension and had an unusual observation with it.
    By the way, many thanks for this as it is proving to be something I would want to use all the time!

I applied a simple "DMGTYPE: silver" to a weapon as a result of purchasing powdered silver from one of my Vendors (DOE: Locations Extension).
    I know I can just add it to the characters record sheet but just wanted to put this extension to immediate use and testing.

When the PC equipped it, the extension placed (2) identical effects to the CT.
    When the PC 'not carried' it, the extension removed just (1) of the effects.
    When the PC 'carried' it, the extension removed the other (1) effect.

I realize it is a trivial point, but wanted to point it out because the effect from the weapon applied to any other weapon equipped and used.
    Can you give me the step by step process you use to replicate this? I've tried various ways and am unable to recreate it on my end ;(
    ---

Thread Information