FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Please have an option to limit Map Tokens Vision and being moved by PCs?

As the title suggests, can we have an option that automatically makes it so Tokens placed on the map, but NOT on the combat tracker, are not able to be clicked by Players and they don't have any vision attached to them?
    Using tokens as Map decorations works great when you need them to be "mobile", but I play with limited vision rules for immersion on the maps, and when a player can randomly click a Decorative token and see the whole map and interactive places hidden by the Fog of War, it breaks all my efforts.
    The option "party vision" doesn't help. I need to be able to place the Tokens on the map. But if they are just for decoration, I can't add effects to them to limit their vision. I'd have to create a whole new npc on the fly, assign the token, place on the map and fill the combat tracker with useless crap just to avoid players clicking on them and seeing the rest of the map.

I'm not exactly sure what you are using these tokens for but could they not be placed on the map via the layers menu? In this way they become part of the map rather than a token and so can't be interacted with. If you need something that can be interacted with (such as a trap or hazard) then you would want that as an NPC.

Being able to place a token on the map which all of the players can interact with and which has vision is important for other styles of play.

Whilst I'm not sure whether there could be an option for this or not; you can nevertheless add it to the wishlist (link is in my signature).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Using them as layer doesn't solve the situation because I also use them to change interactions based on the player's actions. So moving a layer while In-game becomes a huge drag but placing the token is almost instant. The downside is that, letting players click on that Token and be able to see what it seems and move it as they wish. Could it be done as non-combat tracker tokens are only able to be clicked by the DM? Why do players even have that option to begin with? I placed all effects for vision in every token, both player and npcs, but they can simply click on a random token to ignore all that stuff. Even if not done on purpose.

Blog Entries
    The are not currently designed to be used that way. If you place an image as a "token" it will be used to calculate LOS. Something you do not want to do for decorative items. The 'normal' use for decorative items is to place them as stamps. But that is not friendly on how you wish to move them.

Check the forum Feature Request list (Help > Feature Requests) to see if this idea is already there, if not, add it

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you have Party vision and movement set to on then players can see all of the character tokens that are linked to the CT and can move them. If you have that option off then players will only be able to see and move their own tokens that are on the CT. Only the DM can move or interact with NPC tokens that are on the CT.

However tokens which are directly placed on the map (that is not via the Combat Tracker) can be seen and moved by anyone since they have no connection to the CT. Pretty much every interaction that players and the DM, to a certain extent, goes through the CT. Anything that isn't on the CT is in a sort of no man's land.

It depends on how complicated your interactions need to be but if I wanted to have things on a map that changed when something happened I'd have them as layers on the map. So for example I could have a closed trap marker on one layer and an open marker in the same spot on another layer. Both layers would remain hidden until the players discover the trap then I'd make the closed trap visible. If someone fell in or disabled the trap I would then hide the close layer and make the other one visible. Since these are layers the players can't interact or see them until the DM makes them visible. These layers could include their own Line of Sight and lighting as well which will also appear and disappear depending on whether the layer is visible to the players or not. This would work for all sorts of things like a collapsed wall or other such destruction at a particular place on the map. It could also be used to mark points of interest or similar things which the players might want to come back to or whatever it is you need to indicate.

Another possibility is that you can use pinned story entries. Create a story which describes something that has happened or whatever in a particular place. Pin that story to the correct point on the map and when the players discover it or have the necessary interaction then share the pin and the story with then so that they can have a reminder. I'm shooting in the dark a bit here since I'm not exactly sure what it is you are wanting or needing to do; but there may be a different way to do things other than using tokens.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by FedeBerserk View Post
    As the title suggests, can we have an option that automatically makes it so Tokens placed on the map, but NOT on the combat tracker, are not able to be clicked by Players and they don't have any vision attached to them?
    Using tokens as Map decorations works great when you need them to be "mobile", but I play with limited vision rules for immersion on the maps, and when a player can randomly click a Decorative token and see the whole map and interactive places hidden by the Fog of War, it breaks all my efforts.
    The option "party vision" doesn't help. I need to be able to place the Tokens on the map. But if they are just for decoration, I can't add effects to them to limit their vision. I'd have to create a whole new npc on the fly, assign the token, place on the map and fill the combat tracker with useless crap just to avoid players clicking on them and seeing the rest of the map.
    Try putting the Blinded and Restrained conditions on the tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by claedawg View Post
    Try putting the Blinded and Restrained conditions on the tokens.
    You can't add effects such as that to a token that isn't also on the combat tracker. The only effects that you could place on the token is giving the token a light or vision source via the lighting layer menu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FedeBerserk View Post
    I've added a check for line-of-sight for the player. Only tokens that are owned by the player, or have public vision set, will show LOS when selected. This fix should be available in the next Live Release.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    I've added a check for line-of-sight for the player. Only tokens that are owned by the player, or have public vision set, will show LOS when selected. This fix should be available in the next Live Release.
    You are awesome!!!

Thank you pindercarl!
    I also use tokens in my games for things the players can interact with, which really don't need LoS and vision and all the overhead that carries.
    I use tokens for NPCs being rescued, herded, getting underfoot; items they must move around, retrieve, protect, etc.
    I let the players move that stuff so I don't have to. I have plenty to do as GM.

Thread Information