DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Request: Lock module or extension updates

Has there been any thought to adding a option to "lock" a module (perhaps extension as well) so that it will not be updated during update process? I ask mostly since updating can sometimes cause problems if you're running a module and the content within is updated. At least then they could lock it and if they want to update unlock it to update when they are not concerned it will cause any issues.

I ask because I am updating some of my older conversions to have better maps and I can imagine the havoc it will cause when someone updates and has no idea why his maps are not as expected.

It's not a very important option I admit but it should be low hanging fruit
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Won't FG not already updated anything that's in use that has been modified unless the GM does a Revert on it? If it hasn't been modified, would a content update cause problems?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Won't FG not already updated anything that's in use that has been modified unless the GM does a Revert on it? If it hasn't been modified, would a content update cause problems?
    The file in the moduledb looks for the original content that it wants to overwrite. As long as the name is the same it will find it. However in this case we are changing the filename (in most cases from .jpg to webp) and so the original filename no longer exists in the module. Hence the image fails when the user tries to open it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Ah, I knew I was missing something

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The file in the moduledb looks for the original content that it wants to overwrite. As long as the name is the same it will find it. However in this case we are changing the filename (in most cases from .jpg to webp) and so the original filename no longer exists in the module. Hence the image fails when the user tries to open it.
    Indeed. I've updated some products before like this previously and it did cause some support issues.

I'll be leaving the original but changing the ref-manual links to point to the new maps and linking to the ref-manual pages (not story entries). It should mitigate some of the issues... but I'd still think being able to block updates to certain things would be useful.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

While I understand the request, I could see this being an issue, for extensions at least. Person locks extension from updates, has issues(s), ask for support, back and forth and some head scratching only to find out they have it locked and it's out of date.

bit of a pain, but could you copy off the mod/ext prior to updating. then update. then replace the updated mod/ext with your copies?
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morenu View Post
    bit of a pain, but could you copy off the mod/ext prior to updating. then update. then replace the updated mod/ext with your copies?
    You can. But the average user is not going to know to do this. And I think the intent of the request is to help the average user and reduce support tickets/threads/requests.

I'm not sure even the lock module would be known to the average user. At least not until it's too late and they already updated and have a challenge with their maps. I'd rather see a 'systematic' solution. Even if it were a script someone wrote to update the moduledb files to update the image extension references. But not sure how intelligent that would need to be in order to prevent more 'damage'.

Quote Originally Posted by Morenu View Post
    You cannot. At least not the ones that are vaulted and the stuff I am working on is vaulted as are many extensions and any time you load up it's probably going to try and update tho I've not tried.
    ---

Thread Information