5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Possible extensions to disable Unconscious at 0?

Hi All,

So, I'm running a house rule to improve my groups effects with yo-yoing and generally help players stay engaged even when they get to low hit points. You can find my rules (here) if you want.

However, since I run my games in Fantasy Grounds, I necessarily run into a problem. Key to my dying rule is that you are NOT unconscious at 0, instead you are "dying" which is its own condition, it has some restrictions, but the character can still act to a degree.

However, I don't want enemies to auto crit or have the benefits of unconscious as an attacker. However, after several years, I've yet to see any extension on how to disable this. At this point, I'd be interested in trying to tackle the problem myself, but I don't necessarily know where to start.

So, for now, I'm appealing to the forums to get any lead on help - either if there is a way to update a toggle in the base game, if there is an extension I've not heard of that does this, or if anyone has tips on where to start to adjust the code to create my own extension, I would appreciate any advice.

Blog Entries
    A long time ago (months or years) I remember using an extension for a short period that had an option that when NPCs were dropped to zero the message in chat was something like "appears to fall unconscious". I don't remember if it did anything around the status or such though. I'm not sure if it would help with your issue or what extension it was, but maybe it was Death Indicators? Death Indicator Ex v4.5 extension for 5e Fantasy Grounds Unity

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you want to create an extension you should look at how the Pathfinder or D&D 3.x rulesets handle 0 hps.

If you just want to create an effect just make one that heals 1 hp with information that they are dying, ie slow, dazed. The PCs will have to roll their death saves manually and check or uncheck them and deal with adding a check when they take damage while at 0 hps, ie similar to what would happen in a face to face game. This would be less of an investment than making an extension since it's only the first few levels where PCs hit 0 a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    If you want to create an extension you should look at how the Pathfinder or D&D 3.x rulesets handle 0 hps.

If you just want to create an effect just make one that heals 1 hp with information that they are dying, ie slow, dazed. The PCs will have to roll their death saves manually and check or uncheck them and deal with adding a check when they take damage while at 0 hps, ie similar to what would happen in a face to face game. This would be less of an investment than making an extension since it's only the first few levels where PCs hit 0 a lot.
    Its not a bad idea, though its hard to know where to actually "Put" that effect - it means I need some sort of neutral stat block hidden on the CT, or an ability on each player's sheet that says "Dying: Heal 1". The other option is that I still want to track death saves, and I think the system clears saves when you are healed

I've got some higher level games, but I put this rule in just for the reason that I can throw much stronger creatures at my party, and expect them to hit 0 without the game becoming a death spiral.

I'm doing homebrew rules with the same idea in mind where the character does not automatically go unconscious at 0 HP. Right now, the best option is just to remove unconscious and prone when they do get to 0 HP (although I have not tried the extension previously mentioned). I believe it still makes the PC roll death saves (but not sure). There is also a Stable condition already in FG that I believe would override the death save automation if still at 0 HP.

Blog Entries
    Death save history is not cleared until a long rest (85% certain).
    Stable means no more death throws will be made.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information