DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Trying to understand modules

My group has been playing AD&D 2e, and we're considering utilizing Fantasy Grounds. My friend and I tried starting a 2e Campaign, but we're having trouble understanding some things.

I bought the Ultimate license, and it seems to indicate that it came with the ability to play 2e. When I started a new campaign, however, it suggested that I load a few modules. I thought stuff like that was already included in my license, but these had to be bought for $19.99 a piece. When I was trying to figure out their purpose and if we needed them, the best I could tell is that they looked like glorified handbooks. My group already has the necessary handbooks, in one form or another, so if it's basically just books, we don't really need it. Do these modules add any functionally, such as character wizards like in a 5e campaign?

It looks like the 2e campaign doesn't have any races or classes included, either, and we have to manually enter them. Are there any particular modules or other add-ons that we should use to add those? It looks like most of that stuff can be exported and imported. Is there a place I can get the XML files that someone has already created? I'm not looking for pirated stuff. I'd like to stick with stuff that is allowed.

Any help you can offer to get us going would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    So all of the books, the PHB, the DMG, etc are Intellectual Property of WotC. Even though they were published a long time ago, it has not yet been 75 years so they are still controlled IP. If you want the information in them (races, classes, gear, etc) then you have to purchase those (licensed) modules from the FG Store.

But, if you don't want to do that, then you can enter the information manually yourself. Either by building them as the DM into your own module and sharing with players, or having each plyer enter what they need directly into their character sheets. Since the system pre-dates the SRD, their is no generic data set that can be shared.

There is tons of information in the Classics Forum. So I've moved your thread there so your questions have better visibility and can be answered by those who play 2E the most.

Have fun!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The Ultimate License does not contain and content other than some SRD content.
    It contains the smarts/logic/coding to implement various games including 2E, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG, PFRPG2, Numenera but it doesnt contain the data for those game systems.

What does Ultimate mean then?
    It means that if the GM has an Ultimate license the players do not need their own license.

You really do want the PHB at least for whichever system you play.

You can look at the community created OSRIC modules that is a 1e clone and has monsters, class, races/etc that you can use for free. As other have mentioned tho the 1e and 2e content proper is owned by WoTC and does not have a SRD or Creative Commons license.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information