5E Character Create Playlist

[PF2e] Players can see whole map with no token selected

Basically as the title says.

With LOS & Lighting enabled, players can see all areas with lights turned on when no token is selected.
    Did not test with ambient lighting... we were only using lantern lights, so 30'/60' and standard fading.

Double checked with the 5e ruleset and this behavior is not present there.

Can post pictures later.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any extensions enabled?
    Can you replicate in a new campaign?
    Can you provide steps to reproduce?
    Please attach logs via Compile Logs function.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleybacons View Post
    Basically as the title says.

With LOS & Lighting enabled, players can see all areas with lights turned on when no token is selected.
    Did not test with ambient lighting... we were only using lantern lights, so 30'/60' and standard fading.

Double checked with the 5e ruleset and this behavior is not present there.

Can post pictures later.
    Are they on Intel Macs?

Hi!

We first noticed this problem on Friday. I host the game on an AMD Windows 11 desktop.
    But, just to double verify, I booted up a PF2e campaign I use for testing & module creation on my M1 macbook pro. Same problem showed up there.

Logs attached with extensions running (nothing too fancy).

Module is The Fall of Plaguestone from the FG storefront. This is Hallod's hideout. I've added a light to Hallod's bedroom to illustrate the issue. There's two walls between the tokens and the next room over and the door is closed.

Screenshots are from the m1 mac machine.
    With extensions:
    GM view GM view token selected.png

Player view (no tokens selected) Player view no token.png

Player view w/ token selected Player view token selected.png

No extensions:
    Player view, no token selected, no extensions Player no tokens no mods.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for providing the images and logs.

This is an issue with FG in general - it's not specific to the PF2 ruleset. It's also an issue with the GM Player Vision Preview, not with the end player view.

For example, here's a 5E campaign with the Cragmaw Hideout from Lost Mines of Phandelver.

This is the GM view, with Player Vision Preview and no tokens selected, showing the issue with lighting being visible (to the GM in Player Vision Preview mode):

GM View.jpg

And this is the player view - where the lighting is presented correctly:

Player View.jpg

Basically, it looks like all Line of Sight is ignored when there are no tokens selected for the GM in Player Vision Preview mode. Hopefully the devs can look into this.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 1st, 2023 at 11:12.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So, I booted up our 5e and PF2e games with a second instance to get a better player view and was not seeing the issue. Going to have to get one of my players to actually log in this week to see if the issue is still present for them.

Actually, the way that this is built is by design. The GM "player preview" merely blocks out all areas which are not lighted when no tokens are selected. (It's because the default view with "no tokens selected" is different for GM vs. player; i.e. GM sees overview of whole map, players see from tokens they own (or which have party vision))

Regards,
    JPG

That's really interesting and I'm kind of embarrassed I never noticed it before.

Will report back if my players can still see parts of the map their tokens have not explored when they have no token selected.

Thread Information