STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FG items not loading after internet provider change

I recently switched internet providers (Xfinity to T-Mobile) and in some preliminary testing, my players are having trouble loading things. With xfinity, I was getting around 400 Mbps down/20 Mbps up. With T-Mobile I am getting 100-170 Mbps/4-20 Mbps. However, the latency is much slower - closer to 50 ms. I doubt the speed is the connection, rather the connection type, but I wasn't sure if anyone has had any issues so thought I'd see.

The issues my players are having preceded today's update, but has persisted after it.

• The characters window on start up appears empty for a long time
    • Images from the adventure path I'm running are black with a red question mark (i'm running the strange aeon's adventure path in pathfinder which I've purchased through FG in FGU)
    • Images that I have added via assets load properly

I've loaded the adventure as a player parallel to my instance as a GM and the character window pops up - empty - then the custom background image I've added comes up a second or two after that, and then the message of the day pops up, AND THEN the PC shows up in the characters window. I had no issue loading the images as my players have expressed. I also created a brand new campaign, loaded the module we're using (Book 3 of Strange Aeons), and my player tonight was able to view the map I placed his token on. I'd be ok with doing this but I've taken some liberties and made changes to some of the maps and encounters that they will be getting into in the next session.

Full disclosure: I have not chased down every lead as of this post. I am creating this thread partially out of curiosity if T-Mobile (or any other mobile) internet could be the source of a problem. I have not disabled every extension so far, just because it's a player client that is experiencing this issue and my player's don't have the availability to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your help in the midst of all the troubleshooting around an update. Let me know what information I need to provide and I'll get right on it if I can.

It sounds like something on your Internet provider is blocking or slowing some or all of your content. We've put together a wiki article that covers some of the typical sorts of things to check in these situations, since the situation is unique to every person's network settings, network hardware, and Internet provider.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Do be aware, if you are hosting, it is your upload speed that matters. Download speed is practically irrelevant. Latency has minimal impact on FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks. It looks like the link Moon Wizard provided recommends 50 Mbps upload - is that really accurate? I've never been anywhere close to that and have not been told of any problems, but it definitely sounds like the fact that my upload speed is less consistent could be the problem at first glance.

That is the recommended upload speed for GMs as the GM is the "server" providing all the content to each player. Our servers are not involved in the connections after helping with the initial connectivity steps.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Connection speeds in Australia are almost always in the 4-20mbps range and we dont generally have issues.
    The mobile connection is more likely a culprit.

Do you have a lot of things shared? Could you cut down on how many reference books you are sharing to see if that helps at least in the short term?
    Do you have a VPN connection you could try testing with?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    That is the recommended upload speed for GMs as the GM is the "server" providing all the content to each player. Our servers are not involved in the connections after helping with the initial connectivity steps.

Regards,
    JPG
    I understand as the host I become the server, I am still curious as to the 50Mbps aside from that becoming the ceiling for download speed for the players. Especially since it obviously will work below that and 50Mbps upload speeds are still fairly uncommon outside of major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Connection speeds in Australia are almost always in the 4-20mbps range and we dont generally have issues.
    The mobile connection is more likely a culprit.

Do you have a lot of things shared? Could you cut down on how many reference books you are sharing to see if that helps at least in the short term?
    Do you have a VPN connection you could try testing with?
    I have disabled which books I have loaded but come to think of it I haven’t changed the modules I’ve allowed my players access to, such as rulebooks. Are these loaded at the point of use or are they loaded when the player wishes to load them? I’ll try thinning this out and seeing if that helps.

Is there any reason that images that I’ve added to the adventure would load seamlessly, yet images from modules would not load, just show up as black with a red question mark? This is the biggest disconnect I’m having right now in reconciling these answers this problem.

As regards images this will depend on the resolution and size of the image. The higher the resolution and bigger the size the more time it takes to upload - especially if your upload speed is low. You can ameliorate this by pre sharing images. That is right click on the image and select share when no-one is connected to your game. Then, when players join, they'll download the images. Since players likely join at different times this will ease the time it takes to upload the images since only one or maybe two are calling for the data at any one time; rather than all of them all at once.

It's difficult to give exact information since we aren't seeing what images you are loading; but it's possible that images you are adding are smaller in resolution and size than the ones in the module you are using.

Module data is loaded when players first join; but additional data is uploaded when they open a module for the first time. So, again, if a number of players are opening modules at the same time then more data needs to be pushed to the clients.

My upload speed is way less than 50Mbps at times; so it can take a while to upload data to players. So I always preshare images and ask players to connect well before start time. Generally I've not had any issues with players not being able to see something unless I forget to share a map beforehand and they all have to upload at the same time then.

Bear in mind as well that when players connect they need to download a bunch of stuff; such as the ruleset, decals, extensions, modules, the state of the campaign database (characters, Combat Tracker, Party Sheet) as well as images.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    As regards images this will depend on the resolution and size of the image. The higher the resolution and bigger the size the more time it takes to upload - especially if your upload speed is low. You can ameliorate this by pre sharing images. That is right click on the image and select share when no-one is connected to your game. Then, when players join, they'll download the images. Since players likely join at different times this will ease the time it takes to upload the images since only one or maybe two are calling for the data at any one time; rather than all of them all at once.
    I should mention that the images I have attempted sharing so far have been images the players have already loaded, including a map that they are currently on. These are all images from the Strange Aeons adventure, from pictures of monsters and NPCs to other maps. The map they are currently on is populated with line of sight and lighting, so I can see that taking some time to load being the issue, but for portraits of an npc that they have already loaded before… I guess I don’t know enough about how the client side stores the data as to whether it has cleared from the cache or not.

It's difficult to give exact information since we aren't seeing what images you are loading; but it's possible that images you are adding are smaller in resolution and size than the ones in the module you are using.
    I can say that my files definitely tend to be larger. Maps created from dungeon alchemist and pngs for player tokens for example. I’m happy to share anything I can but it will be at least 7 hours from now since I’m at work.

Module data is loaded when players first join; but additional data is uploaded when they open a module for the first time. So, again, if a number of players are opening modules at the same time then more data needs to be pushed to the clients.

My upload speed is way less than 50Mbps at times; so it can take a while to upload data to players. So I always preshare images and ask players to connect well before start time. Generally I've not had any issues with players not being able to see something unless I forget to share a map beforehand and they all have to upload at the same time then.

Bear in mind as well that when players connect they need to download a bunch of stuff; such as the ruleset, decals, extensions, modules, the state of the campaign database (characters, Combat Tracker, Party Sheet) as well as images.
    This is helpful, thanks. My players have noticed a difference between how long it takes to join the SA campaign where I have the first 3 books loaded and the Dragon’s Demand adventure that I’ve made from scratch. I will continue to play around with it this evening.

The good news is the T-mobile internet is just a trial and we haven’t canceled xfinity yet, so worst case scenario I keep on paying what we’ve been paying and continue to run FG as before - but I sure would love to narrow down this issue so everyone knows in the future.

Make sure you go through the list of things that is in that article that Moon Wizard linked in post #2 above. Makes sure also that you have an up to date exception in your antivirus. See here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; February 24th, 2023 at 17:59.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information