FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Adaptation Mapping Question - Ruins of Undermountain

    To those that have run or want to run this area, I want to know how you feel the best way to break up the maps would be. I could do three map levels and leave your computers whimpering from the FG LOS or I could break it up based on the advice I receive. Absent any advice I'll likely just do three large maps. I've automated my LOS construction so it really is no big deal to me if it is one map or 10.

    Please let me know your opinions and I'll try my best to make this area a LOS pleasure rather than a LOS nightmare.

    Also let me know if you just make your own maps for such an area and likely will never use the maps that would be packaged with it.

    Jason

  2. #2
    I prefer a single map per level when possible. I'd rather not have segmented maps.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset FGU Reference Module, or Web.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I prefer a single map per level when possible. I'd rather not have segmented maps.
    I'm a little scared to do that with a mega-dungeon. It is my preferred choice to do that if possible.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    WA (Western Australia)
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I'm a little scared to do that with a mega-dungeon. It is my preferred choice to do that if possible.
    Morning Jason,

    if you are converting it for the FG shop, i am afraid you have to split them up... there s a new map size allowance coming out at the end of the month which double the existing one... but surely not enough for your need.

    I end up making a big one, splitting it up for the conversion sake and offering the big one for free on the forum (if you are remaking it yourself using a 3rd party software).
    Last edited by readymeal; October 24th, 2021 at 21:26.

  5. #5
    Hey there. I'll weigh in with my opinion. I'm fairly new to FG and have only run 2.5 modules (I'm half way through B5 with my group, the module I submitted to FG). As a DM, I feel like lower resolution on a complete map is preferable to higher resolution on an artificially divided map. It's too much hassle getting tokens onto and off of different maps, especially if you are cutting the maps in odd places so you'll have to switch maps a lot as the party winds between different paths. If given a choice, now that I know how to handle maps, I wouldn't mind grabbing high res versions from the forums or FG Forge to swap into the original release in FG. That's what I did for B5. Of course, you won't have all the info pins for areas or the creature spawning placement anymore when you add the new maps to the module in a campaign. But those are not TOO time consuming to add....

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Morning Jason,

    if you are converting it for the FG shop, i am afraid you have to split them up... there s a new map size allowance coming out at the end of the month which double the existing one... but surely not enough for your need.

    I end up making a big one, splitting it up for the conversion sake and offering the big one for free on the forum (if you are remaking it yourself using a 3rd party software).
    I won't be making one with 3rd party. This is the original "restored by me" map. It is currently 3k x 4k.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I won't be making one with 3rd party. This is the original "restored by me" map. It is currently 3k x 4k.
    4k by 4k is the new "best practices" map size.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset FGU Reference Module, or Web.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

  8. #8
    I guess to comply with the grid requirements of between 50-100 (or is it 75-100px) my map needs to increase by 2.5x. I wonder how that will look in FG. Time will tell.

    Jason

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    WA (Western Australia)
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I won't be making one with 3rd party. This is the original "restored by me" map. It is currently 3k x 4k.
    for a whole level?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I guess to comply with the grid requirements of between 50-100 (or is it 75-100px) my map needs to increase by 2.5x. I wonder how that will look in FG. Time will tell.

    Jason
    You can use pix size of any size as long as it fits in the max map size recommendations. I've 100-200 px maps that are in the new range easily and they look so much better.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset FGU Reference Module, or Web.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Log in

Log in