5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

[Lighting beta] Token light vanishes if switching image mode

Hi

When I add a token lighting or vision using the sidebar (not via effects) and I go into the background mode, then the token lighting is gone

Best wishes,

Kelrugem

EDIT: Also works in the other direction

As noted in the Beta release notes; any tokens linked to the CT will override any token vision/lights defined in the control panel. For most tokens used in play, they will be on the CT, and you can only set via effects.

Third note in this post:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post586137

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    As noted in the Beta release notes; any tokens linked to the CT will override any token vision/lights defined in the control panel. For most tokens used in play, they will be on the CT, and you can only set via effects.

Third note in this post:

Regards,
    JPG
    aah, so, this is a strong overwrite? Okay, then I misunderstood how often this overwrite happens (I thought just add the moment of when such an effect is applied) Oki, then I understand now why it is recommended to use effects and senses for that in rulesets supporting this
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 12th, 2021 at 16:52.

Third note in this post:

Regards,
    JPG
    I'd have some question about this: What is then the intended usage of those token visions and light settings in the sidebars for rulesets like 5e/3.5e/PF1 etc.? So, normally, tokens not from the CT are rarely placed on the map (at least I never use tokens not linked to the CT; I had the impression that this is normal for FG users, but I may be wrong ); since those settings are quickly overwritten by effects, I cannot see how to use that, although there are more options given there than for effects I see the darkness effect and the ability to ignore darkness stuff which is pretty cool But not sure how to apply that on a token without it getting overwritten by effects when I accidentally close the image or put it into the background (not sure what happens when the client is doing that). But maybe just something to get used to, I mean, defining it directly in play, and not as preparation

(EDIT: I understand that this part may be also in transition now since I remember that first the sidebar stuff was implemented and planned before the effect version came So, my question is probably more about plans in that regard, if I am allowed to ask )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 13th, 2021 at 03:44.

This is all in transition; and one of the things we are discussing.

The root of the situation comes down to allowing things to be controlled through UI; but also to automate ruleset-specific coding where we can. Currently, I have two approaches I am considering:
    * Add API to specify CT tokens as not being able to be edited in the image data panel (and control completely through functions)
    * Add system to track what is added via image data panel vs. effects. (The problem is that the effect versions also show up in panel; and that the APIs and ruleset would have to be drastically rewritten and enhanced to provide the ability to track at this level).

So, for now, it's just communicating the limitation.

Regards,
    JPG

This is all in transition; and one of the things we are discussing.

The root of the situation comes down to allowing things to be controlled through UI; but also to automate ruleset-specific coding where we can. Currently, I have two approaches I am considering:
    * Add API to specify CT tokens as not being able to be edited in the image data panel (and control completely through functions)
    * Add system to track what is added via image data panel vs. effects. (The problem is that the effect versions also show up in panel; and that the APIs and ruleset would have to be drastically rewritten and enhanced to provide the ability to track at this level).

So, for now, it's just communicating the limitation.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thank you

Ah, I see; the second version would be cool, for me personally because I try to track things without effects if possible and I like that it is possible then (I have too many effects in my games ) But there is the senses field already as a separate option for vision, and one can collect all vision and light effects in one effect if needed So, probably the first solution is the easiest and best one, it sounds like that for me

EDIT: But the system is already pretty neat and cool! Really good work, personally for me it feels already ready for release
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 14th, 2021 at 18:54.

Thread Information