DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Detect magic spell

The rule is "you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you".
    If the caster of the spell are carrying a magical item, will the spell then allways indicate that there are some magical item presence in every visited room?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    The rule is "you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you".
    If the caster of the spell are carrying a magical item, will the spell then allways indicate that there are some magical item presence in every visited room?
    Yes, if you are carrying a magic item, you will always detect something within 30' of you. But, the rest of the description states: "If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any." So you can use your action to identify whether the magic is the item you are carrying, or something else in the room.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    ..." So you can use your action to identify whether the magic is the item you are carrying, or something else in the room.
    Like that magic gem the rogue pick pocketed from Lord Big Nose and never told you about!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, if you are carrying a magic item, you will always detect something within 30' of you. But, the rest of the description states: "If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any." So you can use your action to identify whether the magic is the item you are carrying, or something else in the room.
    Yes, I play it like that if the item is visible. But under a dead corpse it is not visible. So what to do then. Strip all magical items and aske everyone else to exit the room?

Yes, I play it like that if the item is visible. But under a dead corpse it is not visible. So what to do then. Strip all magical items and aske everyone else to exit the room?
    If you are ruling that only visible items are detectable, then you are severely gimping the spell. The spell explicitly states that it penetrates objects to a point. "The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt."
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

If you are ruling that only visible items are detectable, then you are severely gimping the spell. The spell explicitly states that it penetrates objects to a point. "The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt."
    Yes it is. But it tell you if there are a magic item in the room. And if the PCs har magical items there are always magical items in the room. Visible items is no problem as they give of an aura. But non visible items does not give away an aura, they just drown in the magic from what the PCs carry

Blog Entries
    Whatever keeps the fun in the game for you and the players at your table, play it that way.

To me, having the players (or being a player) that has to describe in minutiae just what is being done when searching a room ("I pull out the drawers and measure each one inside and out to make sure their are not false bottoms. Then I slowly take apart the desk one piece at a time searching for parchment hidden between two panels...") is just not fun anymore. I can do it, we can spend an hour or two searching a room, but to us, that's not fun. Neither is having to describe how we are turning over bodies while casting detect magic, and digging up the dirt floor and moving everything around so anything magical is in plain sight.

I also don't like secret doors or treasure or anything else that must be found in order to advance the story line being tied to a single search die roll, or to a specific action. Sure, the party might not find a hidden magic item because they didn't do something specific, but they will never know that because lack of that item is not going to hinder their advancement or the story line.

I think you get my approach, but again, make sure however you play it works for your table. Have fun, don't stress too much over any given rule or aspect.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

But under a dead corpse it is not visible. So what to do then. Strip all magical items and aske everyone else to exit the room?
    You "sense the presence", But how?
    1) Colored auras for each school of magic have been a staple of RPGs for years, but only engage one sense. What about the other ones? What are interesting ways of finding things that don't include the use of sight...

2) Can this player character smell Magic in the area? Use a different, easy to recognize smell for each School of magic.

3) Maybe each school of magic sings a different musical note or song, and the character hears it? Especially good for Bards.

4) What if, with each type of magic, they get a phantom taste in their mouth? Stay away from Necromancy!!!

5) Maybe the Character feels the delicate touch of a loved one, guiding them toward a magical heirloom, or pulling them away from a trap?

The rules cannot cover all possibilities, but are written to give us examples of how to do things. Take what they give you, and run with it.

So, is this correct?
    You all let the players se that there are additional magical items in a room with detect magic.
    (Exept: blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.)

It would make life a bit easier

So, is this correct?
    You all let the players se that there are additional magical items in a room with detect magic.
    (Exept: blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.)

It would make life a bit easier
    Yes, they already know they have magic items on them - they are hunting for new magic items - let the spell guide them. No need to make it complicated.

If the game becomes bogged down with rules and discussions about rules it gets frustrating and not fun. Unless that kinda thing makes everyone happy....

Thread Information