5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Struggling With Maps In FGU

I recently upgraded to FGU from FGC, and I've run into a snag importing maps. When working on maps either on the editor or locked, the scroll/pan function moves the entire map image on top of a blank layer. Previously in FGC, the map dimensions were locked - panning or zooming in/out only worked on the map image itself. This was clean and made sense to me - the borders of the image were the same as the window. When panning in FGC, you would simply scroll to the edge of the image and stop. Likewise, zooming in and out kept the image dimensions locked. Now in FGU, you continue panning endlessly into blank space leaving the map behind and it's disorienting. Zooming out makes the map image incredibly small and fills the window with blank space.

I've watched all the tutorial videos on FGU images/maps, read the wiki, but this issue was never addressed, so I'm not sure what I am missing. I currently am using the Pathfinder 2 ruleset, disabled all my extensions (running Better Menus, and Death Dying Overlay) but it has not impact. All my image files work fine in FGC and are cropped, so it's not a problem with the images themselves. Any help would very much appreciated - otherwise all the features look great and I can't wait to dive more into the FGU features!Example.PNG
    Last edited by Hattoriku; November 29th, 2020 at 19:26.

Open the image toolbar (three dots and down arrow to the top right) and click the Zoom to... button to resize the view back to the borders of the image (as best can be done relating to the window aspect ratio).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you Trenloe for the quick response! I am aware of that feature, but it does not resolve the issue of panning/zooming moving off of the image itself. Is there no way to fix the issue of scrolling/panning off the image itself? Even when the image is zoomed in relation to the window aspect ratio, panning quickly off-centers it again.

Blog Entries
    Nope, because in FGU maps are infinite is size (because they can be composed of an infinite number of image files), so it allows you to scroll off as far as you want or zoom out as far as you want.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for clarifying. That's unfortunate though, because it's a definite pain to constantly "Zoom To..." vs. the previous functionality. I might have to look into other VTTs if this is the case, as I don't know if I can live with constantly scrolling off of a map every time I want to navigate somewhere.

Follow-up question - where would I go to make this a feature request? Or is that simply impossible because techy-reasons I'm not smart enough to understand? I appreciate the info and guidance - even if the functionality is lacking, the culture on these forums is great and speak to how dedicated folks are with the product!

Blog Entries
    The wish list; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

But the devs have already talked about this. And like I said, maps in FGU don't have boundaries, they can't because they are infinitely big. Personally I would look to vote for the idea to lock map views per this idea, then you won't accidentally pan off a map. Or of course, just get used to the controls and don't do that
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135028

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

When you mention "the devs have already talked about this" are there any more details you can provide (like you heard it where - weekend update, youtube link etc)? I just want to decided whether to ask for a refund or not, since its pretty jarring going from FGC where the map dimensions work fine to the current iteration. Any more details would be awesome - I really appreciate the help.

Blog Entries
    On the forums here. I don't remember in what thread. Or really what key words to use search via the Site Search link. I couldn't find it with a couple of searches.

Here are some previous posts from Moon Wizard about the differences between FGC and FGU as far as images are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I already responded via e-mail; but here's the content again.

The Fantasy Grounds Unity program works differently than Fantasy Grounds Classic with regards to graphic image assets. Because FGU supports the ability to have image records with multiple layers that can each use different graphic image assets; the FGU client does not automatically create and delete image records based on the existence of files in the campaign images directory. Instead, all assets that you have installed are all available in the Assets window (tokens, portraits, images). To create an image record with a single image asset, just drag and drop the image asset from the Assets window to the open Images campaign list. (Or create an image record window, and drop onto the window directly.)

There's more information on the new wiki here for working with images:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ages+as+the+GM

Any images that you add in the FG data directory under images/ will be included in a Data bag within the Assets window; and any images you add in the campaign directory under images/ will be included in a Campaign bag within the Assets window. There is actually a Folder button in the Assets window that will take you to the correct folder in your OS for the asset type you are viewing.

Regards,
    JPG
    Also here

This works differently than the current FG version, because the image records no longer have a one-to-one relationship with image files. (i.e. In FGU, you can have as many image assets on each image record as you want, or none at all.) So, all image files will show up in the Assets bag. Any files in the FGU data folder under images/tokens/portraits will show up in the Data bag in the Assets window; and any files in the campaign folder under images will show up in the Campaign bag in the Assets window. From there, you can drag and drop the assets onto the Images and Maps list to create an image record; or drag and drop the asset onto an existing image record window to add a new layer.

Regards,
    JPG
    And here

No, there is no way to achieve the Classic experience; because the relationship was 1-to-1 in Classic. (i.e. if you add/delete a file, then you add/delete a record.) It was based on this requirement that Classic can do that.
    With FGU, the asset file to image record relationship is N-to-N. (i.e. there can be any number of records pointing to any number of files.)

I'll look into how we can enhance the other options. We originally didn't have multi-select file dialogs in FGU until a couple weeks ago; so that may be an approach I can work with.

Regards,
    JPG

Basically what it boils down to is that Images can be made up of any number of assets.

Think of it like this: there are a number of Tile Packs available for FGU now. If it worked like FGC, Tile Packs would be impossible to use.

Thank you for the explanation, this helps a lot!

Thread Information