DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    You know that you can force it to use borderless or exclusive mode (on windows at least) with the command line addition on the shortcut. It will open in the respective mode. However you can't stretch it over multiple screens and there might be some other problems that I don't know off.

The command lines for windows would be:
    -window-mode borderless -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080
    -window-mode exclusive -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080
    Last edited by lasmela; November 28th, 2020 at 18:03. Reason: See post #34

But make sure to create your own shortcut, because every update overwrites the standard shortcut. And you cannot exit the Launcher screen via mouse then, you can use ALT-F4, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lasmela View Post
    You know that you can force it to use borderless or exclusive mode (on windows at least) with the command line addition on the shortcut. It will open in the respective mode. However you can't stretch it over multiple screens and there might be some other problems that I don't know off.

The command lines would be:
    -window-mode borderless -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080
    -window-mode exclusive -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080
    So it turns out that it never was a Unity limitation after all, which was already cast into doubt by the fact that many Unity games offer this as a built in option in the setup UI. So for FG to support this it could be the setup screen simply modifying the icon for those who are ignorant of windows command line options.

So now that we know that it actually does work can we please have a discussion of what the actual limitations are, what functionality is actually limited?

No title bar, no task bar, forced alt-tab are not limitations they are desirable features of fullscreen. They are only limitations if fullscreen is the only mode forcing you to give up the title bar, task bar and windowing. Which is why many Unity games offer it is an option since to some it is a feature to others it is a limitation.

Using this it works just like FGC on one screen did. I will have to hook up another monitor but what FGC did was takeover all the monitors in full screen, which was not actually desired way to do it and was kludgy to use (chat on one screen, shortcut icons on other screen). What people wanted was to break out windows to other monitors, which is not possible because FG windows are not Windows windows. So you are much better off running local host with another PC to drive the player map display rather than using full screen. So not a loss if multi-monitor full screen does not work like FGC did. That was more a limitation of Windows mapping screens into one larger screen, so I do not know why it would still not work.
    Last edited by yarnevk; November 28th, 2020 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    So it turns out that it never was a Unity limitation after all, which was already cast into doubt by the fact that many Unity games offer this as a built in option in the setup UI. So for FG to support this it could be the setup screen simply modifying the icon for those who are ignorant of windows command line options.

So now that we know that it actually does work can we please have a discussion of what the actual limitations are, what functionality is actually limited?

No title bar, no task bar, forced alt-tab are not limitations they are desirable features of fullscreen. They are only limitations if fullscreen is the only mode forcing you to give up the title bar, task bar and windowing. Which is why many Unity games offer it is an option since to some it is a feature to others it is a limitation.

Using this it works just like FGC on one screen did. I will have to hook up another monitor but what FGC did was takeover all the monitors in full screen, which was not actually desired way to do it and was kludgy to use (chat on one screen, shortcut icons on other screen). What people wanted was to break out windows to other monitors, which is not possible because FG windows are not Windows windows. So you are much better off running local host with another PC to drive the player map display rather than using full screen. So not a loss if multi-monitor full screen does not work like FGC did. That was more a limitation of Windows mapping screens into one larger screen, so I do not know why it would still not work.
    In discussing command line options for a cross-platform product, I'd like to ask that everyone state command line options like this: "The Windows command line options are: blah blah blah" since many new players, quite a few with Macs, will read posts about "FGU" or "Unity" and try to apply these options to no avail. I have 40 years of deep computing experience. Many don't. Thanks!

To be fair the poster should use Windows as a proper noun to make it clear it is not for generic window systems. I have no idea how Mac and Linux allow you to configure their icons for using fullscreen or if that is a limitation of their chosen OS, but those who do are welcome to post such. Do Mac Unity games force you to have a taskbar and title screen? That would not be very immersive if so!
    Last edited by yarnevk; November 28th, 2020 at 18:12.

Your reply should go to the one who posted it I just quoted it. I have no idea how Mac and Linux allow you to configure their icons for using fullscreen or if that is a limitation of their chose OS, but those who do no are welcome to post such.
    For sure. Just a general comment, so those finding this years later will understand that these are Windows based options. My apologies.

Thanks zuilin for the input, I edited my post so it should be clear that they are on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by lasmela View Post
    Thanks zuilin for the input, I edited my post so it should be clear that they are on windows.
    Great! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    It works on Microsoft Windows platforms. We do not know that it works on Macintosh or Linux builds. Therefore we do not know that it works for all users of FGU, and cross-platform support is a listed requirement for FGU (where FGC was always a Windows only application).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    It works on Microsoft Windows platforms. We do not know that it works on Macintosh or Linux builds. Therefore we do not know that it works for all users of FGU, and cross-platform support is a listed requirement for FGU (where FGC was always a Windows only application).
    So if I play an XBOX game port on PC am I forced to use a controller rather than key/mouse? Do those same games force windowed mode on PC because that is how Mac does it?

So there are no actual limitations of using fullscreen mode on Windows like was being claimed? Since a workaround has been found it would be important to know this, now that we know it was not actually a Unity limitation preventing Windows fullscreen. It would be important for those who use the icon workaround to regain fullscreen mode on Windows to know what is the actual limitation of using the software in this manner.

What feature are they giving up besides the unwanted title/task bar when using fullscreen mode? It does not even need the title bar, because the radial menu still has the exit functionality.
    Last edited by yarnevk; November 28th, 2020 at 18:59.

Thread Information