DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Unity map size

Unity map size

I know that the 'max' map size for classic is 2048, is it the same in Unity?

The maximum recommended map size in FG Classic is 2048x2048 pixels (just over 4 million pixels). This is the strong recommendation due to FG Classic only being a 32-bit application with limited memory available (even if the computer has lots of memory). Every pixel takes up FG memory when displayed. So the recommendation for FG Classic, with limited memory, is to keep the vast majority of maps to 2048x2048 or less. FG itself (Classic or Unity) doesn't stop you opening larger maps.

With FG Unity being a 64-bit application it has access to (in practical terms) all of the computer memory - so larger maps can be opened. Each pixel still requires processing, whether the application is 32-bit or 64-bit, more pixels mean more processing overhead- but at least the memory limits of FG Classic shouldn't be an issue.

Image file size should still be kept as low as possible to minimise file sharing times from the GM to the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    There have been reports of problems with 4MB+ image file sizes in FGU. Don't know if that is the case still or not. And it seems more like a network timeout issue than processing itself. Note, a 4MB image shared with 5 players is transferring 20MB from your computer. Which might not seem like a lot, but remember that your computer network is doing lots of other things and my experience indicates you will be lucky to get 10% of your network upload speed (which is usually 10% of your download speed).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I had two questions on this topic:
    1. Is FGU still having trouble with 4mb+ image files?
    2. How are map TILES affected here? I'm using the Black Scrolls Sewer Map tiles, but I'm mapping a very large area, and I don't know how this map is going to be calculated as far as size, because it's made of just a few tiles. So if I have a large map, am I going to have a high file size because of area, or will it be lower because I'm using tiles? How does that work?

Unity can handle large map sizes.

The main consideration is the amount of time that it will take to upload a map shared with your players if it is very big. This will depend on a number of factors and it could take a while. So I'd still recommend a sensible map size. What that sensible size is, probably depends on your individual set up/number of players and a number of other factors. So there's nothing definitive as to what kind of limits are recommended.

If you are creating a map inside of Unity then it doesn't create an image in any normal sense. The image is created in the db.xml file in the campaign and consists of multiple lines of xml data. I am not sure what gets sent to the players if such a map is shared. I imagine that as well as the xml data the actual assets would also need to be sent to them but I am not sure about that. So it isn't going to be easy to determine the size of the map that you are sharing.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I had a HUGE castle (I remade Waterdeep Castle), and it came out 5000 x 5000 pixels. The ground floor was about 15 mb! The other floors less because they had more empty space. However, I realized I could tile it, and while I didn't do a perfect job (I can see lines here and there), it got the job done without reducing the graphics (because at 2500 x 2500, the graphics were SNES quality!). Got the map to under 3 mb with only a SLIGHT decrease in quality.

However, my big worry on the tile map was that I'm creating the stupidest thing ever: a complete map of the Waterdeep sewers! It's not exact according to a waterdeep sewer map I found online (because I'm using all right angles as much as possible, to preserve the tile LOS, because I'm lazy about THAT at least), but the map is enormous. Funny though: my computer hasn't hiccupped over it at all. Editing has been fast, slick and breezy. So I was kind of wondering about the size. Your explanation of assets and db.xml files leads me to think this tile system could be a real boost in the future.

For fun, profit and network bandwidth tests I successfully loaded a 32000 px map with FGU. FGU uses quite a lot of memory per images, though, multiple times the real data of an image. While this may work on a GM's computer there might be players connected with less memory and processing powers.

That being said, one of my players uses a weak PC and internet connection, so even maps published in the sold adventure path are often too much for him in Unity (worked better in Classic).

Also keep in mind: *Every* image needs at least {pixel x pixel x 3 bytes} memory, in FGU more than that, regardless of what file size the JPEGs have. So a 3 mb low quality JPEG uses the same amount of memory as a 15 mb high quality one when pixel resolutions are the same.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 26th, 2020 at 10:32.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I might try the full-size image and see what happens. If the player are okay with it, I found something on reddit that will apparently allow me to pull LOS data from dungeondraft and include it in FGU.

I am getting a strange error from the console when trying to upload a large image in unity (and it uploads a blank image instead):
    ERROR: Graphic Load: Unable to allocate pixels for the bitmap

Thread Information