DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Module Size

Module Size

Hi Folks,
    I'm not sure if this has been indicated. I did check LordEntrails' best practices for Modules and didn't see it there (on a quick skim anyway). This is probably a dumb question but is there any guidance on the size of a module? I'm putting together a Maps module with stuff I've bought/found and it's looking to be pretty big. What are people's thoughts on the size - or does it not matter)? I haven't really seen anything on this. To be clear, the module won't be shared with the players - only an image from the module. Thanks in advance for your help.

Modules size doesn't matter much other than running your computer out of memory if you have a lot of modules open. In FGC which is a 32 bit app its a real consideration, but less so in FGU a 64 bit app. You biggest concern will be map size. Most commercial maps are overly larger for FG as they are set up for print format where you really need high rez maps. They are usually 32 bit color images. If you reduce them to 256 colors (8 bits) the difference usually not to barely noticeable on most monitors and your image is 1/4 the file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Modules size doesn't matter much other than running your computer out of memory if you have a lot of modules open. In FGC which is a 32 bit app its a real consideration, but less so in FGU a 64 bit app. You biggest concern will be map size. Most commercial maps are overly larger for FG as they are set up for print format where you really need high rez maps. They are usually 32 bit color images. If you reduce them to 256 colors (8 bits) the difference usually not to barely noticeable on most monitors and your image is 1/4 the file size.
    Thanks Griogre. Individual map size isn't an issue as they are all under 1 MB. I just didn't know if having a module with a large number of images in it would cause other issues. I typically don't run with many modules open normally anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate the response!

Blog Entries
    My first level of Undermountain is about 300MB. No issues with it in FGC or FGU. It's got somewhere over 400 images/maps last I counted.

Because a map module is not something that will be shared with players, you don't need to worry about size or download. As long as each image is 'reasonable' you will be fine.

That said, I did/do have to unshare images from time to time when running one of my Ultimate Undermountain campaigns, because just about every one of those maps pushes the recommended size and many go well over. But that has nothing to do with the module itself, and just with how many images I have shared and their size (file and memory).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    My first level of Undermountain is about 300MB. No issues with it in FGC or FGU. It's got somewhere over 400 images/maps last I counted.

Because a map module is not something that will be shared with players, you don't need to worry about size or download. As long as each image is 'reasonable' you will be fine.

That said, I did/do have to unshare images from time to time when running one of my Ultimate Undermountain campaigns, because just about every one of those maps pushes the recommended size and many go well over. But that has nothing to do with the module itself, and just with how many images I have shared and their size (file and memory).
    Cool - this is what I needed to hear. Not needing to share the module, I didn't think it'd be a problem but I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the reply!

Thread Information