FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    I've always though the material component costs was to simplify the game and to prevent Banker & Bookkeepers from being a significant part of Dungeons & Dragons

Many folks don't want to negotiate the price of components, or track down and/or harvest spell components. Not that it can't be enjoyable for some folks. But also remember, it can be seen as a 'tax' on certain classes. Does anyone make fighters go on a quest to get a wetstone? Or carry weights for working out? Or worry about if a kit for a thieve's tools has the right type of pick for a lock? Or that picks regularly break with use?

All those things can be brought into the game easily enough if a table wants, but understand they are things unique to each class, and that take play time away from the group and put it on just that character (s). I try to focus on the main parts that tell the story and bring the greatest fun.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I've always though the material component costs was to simplify the game and to prevent Banker & Bookkeepers from being a significant part of Dungeons & Dragons

Many folks don't want to negotiate the price of components, or track down and/or harvest spell components. Not that it can't be enjoyable for some folks. But also remember, it can be seen as a 'tax' on certain classes. Does anyone make fighters go on a quest to get a wetstone? Or carry weights for working out? Or worry about if a kit for a thieve's tools has the right type of pick for a lock? Or that picks regularly break with use?

All those things can be brought into the game easily enough if a table wants, but understand they are things unique to each class, and that take play time away from the group and put it on just that character (s). I try to focus on the main parts that tell the story and bring the greatest fun.
    All I wanted was to see my wives character trying to gather her grasshoppers. I think I have the perfect chance, the party is in a locked room, and the grasshoppers got out of their jar! That is how I am starting the next session! After that Spell Pouches all around!

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dellanx View Post
    All I wanted was to see my wives character trying to gather her grasshoppers. I think I have the perfect chance, the party is in a locked room, and the grasshoppers got out of their jar! That is how I am starting the next session! After that Spell Pouches all around!
    Enjoy your night on the couch! *G*

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    Tracking components is only slightly more fun than managing strict encumbrance rules. Thats a joke they both annoy me...greatly.

So i use spell focus ...unless a component has specific gold value to it the focus covers it.

Encumbrance...just straight common sense...which is easy in fg because it tracks your inventory weigh.

I just go if your crap weighs less than your strength value says you can lift or drag...your good. Else you're not (half speed disadv on dex rolls)

There's my encumbrance rules.
    That's what I always did so I made an extension to do all the automation of those enc penalties.
    I think tedious rules are mostly good ideas that just take too much work to track and they usually don't have to be that hard now that we are playing on a computer
    It's also a big part of how the games are balanced, so just chopping off those parts (again just my opinion) can leave some classes OP which--depending on the group--can push some players to create characters that they don't really want--just because they're more powerful that way. I always try to re-balance around the home-brew rules I make (which can admittedly be difficult), but my main group is full of optimizers so I like to keep things neutral so they can feel like they're having to work for it .

This could be a great idea for an extension, automatically deducting used components from inventory quantities like ammunition for spells that use up their components.
    hmm

Quote Originally Posted by dellanx View Post
    Whats the roll to catch a cricket? grapple? acrobatics? just good roleplaying?
    Could get an unseen servant in on it if you have a piece of wood and some string hehe
    Last edited by bmos; July 27th, 2020 at 18:51.

Years ago (I mean many years ago), we had two components for casting. Arcane casters used Demon Dust and Divine casters used Holy Water. Both were easily purchased and we used 1 "point" or "unit" of each per level of the spell. We didn't worry about weight or how the components were carried. However, it was cool to see the casters stocking up on Demon Dust or Holy Water when we were in towns. Btw, they were cheap too.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Enjoy your night on the couch! *G*
    Thank you! You know it will happen. The poor fairy is already limping from having her leg taken off by an evil gnome, and put back by a druid with some rope, sticks and some cures spells. Now the this. I will be persona non grata for sure.

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Years ago (I mean many years ago), we had two components for casting. Arcane casters used Demon Dust and Divine casters used Holy Water. Both were easily purchased and we used 1 "point" or "unit" of each per level of the spell. We didn't worry about weight or how the components were carried. However, it was cool to see the casters stocking up on Demon Dust or Holy Water when we were in towns. Btw, they were cheap too.
    Sounds like a great solution! It maintains the balance and makes it a simple resource.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    That's what I always did so I made an extension to do all the automation of those enc penalties.
    I think tedious rules are mostly good ideas that just take too much work to track and they usually don't have to be that hard now that we are playing on a computer
    It's also a big part of how the games are balanced, so just chopping off those parts (again just my opinion) can leave some classes OP which--depending on the group--can push some players to create characters that they don't really want--just because they're more powerful that way. I always try to re-balance around the home-brew rules I make (which can admittedly be difficult), but my main group is full of optimizers so I like to keep things neutral so they can feel like they're having to work for it .

This could be a great idea for an extension, automatically deducting used components from inventory quantities like ammunition for spells that use up their components.
    hmm

Whats the roll to catch a cricket? grapple? acrobatics? just good roleplaying?
    Could get an unseen servant in on it if you have a piece of wood and some string hehe
    I was just going to have her roll play it, to realize that she needs components. Although a dex check would be fun, she does not have acrobatics yet.

Roll Perception: Look there is a cricket on Sucy's head. Hey I use crickets. Roll Perception: Hey where is the cap to my bottle. Opps I left it open. There are more crickets. Sucy don't move. Or she could use Mage Hand?
    Last edited by dellanx; July 27th, 2020 at 21:01.

Thank You!

Thread Information