STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Bypassing firewalls using Putty and a public server

Hey guys. Where I live I have about 3 firewalls I have to go through before I hit the internet and have no way to configure 2 of them. So I'm one of those guys that can't easily publish port 1802 to the world for players to connect in to my home computer.

I also have a small public Linux server I use for hosting and I've been toying around with ways to publish 1802 on that server and tunnel the connection back into my Windows PC running Fantasy Grounds. I found a pretty easy way to do this with Putty and SSH tunneling and wrote up a little howto guide for it: Using Putty to bypass firewalls for Fantasy Grounds

The end result being players should be able to type in "tarsis.org"(my server) for the host game to join and it'll route through to my home computer, simply by me logging into my remote server with Putty. I haven't run any full games doing this yet, I've just done local testing using multiple instances of FG, but it seems to be working pretty well so far.

Fascintating, Dracones. I host on a 3G wireless connection and am forced to use Hamachi, which is okay but not ideal. Your solution looks appealing. There's less for players to worry about.

Can you recommend a cheap and reliable public linux server?

Thanks for sharing. Your guide is comprehensive.
    Play is the highest form of research -- Einstein

I'm using these guys: https://www.vpscolo.com/

$5 a month for a Linux virtual server that has 256 megs of ram and 10G of space. It includes a public IP.

The only quirk with these guys is they're using OpenVZ for virtualization, which has some limits if you're doing "interesting" stuff. Like I had to ask them to enable a couple kernel features so I could create a VPN server with it.

But it's fine for standard web hosting, teamspeak, ssh and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracones View Post
    I'm using these guys: https://www.vpscolo.com/

$5 a month for a Linux virtual server that has 256 megs of ram and 10G of space. It includes a public IP.

The only quirk with these guys is they're using OpenVZ for virtualization, which has some limits if you're doing "interesting" stuff. Like I had to ask them to enable a couple kernel features so I could create a VPN server with it.

But it's fine for standard web hosting, teamspeak, ssh and so on.
    Do you know any free alternative that could make your method for hosting games work?

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

Blog Entries
    Hamachi. Their is a thread on it in the forums.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi39 View Post
    Do you know any free alternative that could make your method for hosting games work?
    Not sure how much luck you'll have reviving a 7-=year-old thread - I haven't seen Dracones around for a while - but someone else might be able to help

Good luck
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Indeed I wasn't able to get one for free. The idea is to not need hamachi altogether.

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

Could this free shell account work?

https://freeshells.org/clients/cart.php?gid=3

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

Thread Information