Fantasy Grounds Merchandise
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: rulesets

  1. #1

    rulesets

    I may be asking a stupid question. I can't seem to find out how to pull in the rules for d20. I can load a campaign, good, but the modules for the d20 classes/races/monsters etc. ... how do I have those available exactly in FGII?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago-ish
    Posts
    2,234
    I think you load them up as modules now. Its a bit weird to get used to that module interface but if you mess with it a while you might be able to figure it out.

    rv

  3. #3
    Ah, there is a little book in the corner, i did not see this. i suppose when you "open" the book it is then available to you in the Library section. From there you have all the rules.

    Thanks for your response, i knew i was being stupid

  4. #4
    Doswelk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,690

    Unhappy How does one create rule set now then?

    I can see that the D20 rulesets are now modules, but even after playing around with the Beta I had no joy with ruleset creation.

    I want to update My D20 Modern ruleset and I cannot work out how to begin this time!

  5. #5

    I have heard

    I have not gotten FG2 yet, but am beginning to hear frustrations from others.

    I have heard that custom rulesets used in FG1.5 will not work in FG2. Is this true?

    If it is true:
    Why?
    Is the a conversion/migration tool or process?
    I would really hate to have spent all this time creating another ruleset and the have to scrap it and start all over.
    Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop! What is your name?
    Arthur: It is Arthur, King of the Britons.
    Bridgekeeper: What is your quest?
    Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    Bridgekeeper: Huh? I-- I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
    Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
    Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakshara
    I have not gotten FG2 yet, but am beginning to hear frustrations from others.

    I have heard that custom rulesets used in FG1.5 will not work in FG2. Is this true?

    If it is true:
    Why?
    Is the a conversion/migration tool or process?
    I would really hate to have spent all this time creating another ruleset and the have to scrap it and start all over.
    Well 1.05 can run alongside 2.0 so you don't have to upgrade quite yet. It was mentioned in the 2.0 thread that a conversion may eventually be released but because rulesets can be so customized in different ways even in 1.05 this is a very difficult thing to code for.

    Having said that, the way the tag structure in 2.0 is setup it really is a superior way of organizing things and with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.
    Yeah, I had to clean my own brains off my monitor several times when I was working on a custom ruleset for 1.05 for this very reason.

  8. #8

    Do you know how much is different?

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    Well 1.05 can run alongside 2.0 so you don't have to upgrade quite yet. It was mentioned in the 2.0 thread that a conversion may eventually be released but because rulesets can be so customized in different ways even in 1.05 this is a very difficult thing to code for.

    Having said that, the way the tag structure in 2.0 is setup it really is a superior way of organizing things and with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.
    Do you know how much is different? Like all the xml tags that were the basics in 1.5, will they carry through? For example: Here ia a list of the tags I used:
    Code:
    <icon name="button_openwindow" file="data/icons/button_openwindow.png" />
    <tokenroot source="data\tokens" />
    <numbercontrol name="gearamount1">
    </numbercontrol>
    <stringcontrol name="gearitem1">
    </stringcontrol>
    <source name="dexterity" op="+" valuemap="1:-6,2:-4,3:-3,4:-2,5:-1,6:+0,7:+0,8:+0,9:+0,10:+0,11:+0,12:+0,13:+0,14:+0,15:+0,16:+1,17:+2,18:+2,19:+3,20:+3,21:+4,22:+4,23:+4,24:+5,25:+5" />
    <bounds rect="159,7,41,22" />
    <nodrag />
    <nodrop />
    <noreset />
    <limits minimum="1" maximum="25" />
    <tabtarget next="exceptionalstrength" prev="playername" />
    <displaysign />
    <description text="Reaction Adjustment" />
    <value type="modifier" />
    <value type="readonly" />
    <windowclass name="charsheet_main">
    <frame name="charsheet_main" />
    <datasource name="charsheet" />
    <defaultsize width="550" height="685" />
    <sheetdata>
    <multistate name="race">
    <state value="0" icon="SelectRace" />
    <state value="1" icon="Dwarf" />
    <state value="2" icon="Elf" />
    <framedef name="chatbox">
    <bitmap file="data\frames\chatbox.png" />
    <topleft rect="0,0,12,12" />
    Will they still work? Can I do a find/replace for those that changed?

    I did have to do a lot of hidden values to make some calculations work. It sounds like those will be simplified or shortened. Like to square a number, it could not reference the same source twice in the same value. So I would create a hidden and then add the hidden and multiply the original.

    Thanks for explaining.
    Last edited by Bakshara; April 24th, 2007 at 16:44.
    Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop! What is your name?
    Arthur: It is Arthur, King of the Britons.
    Bridgekeeper: What is your quest?
    Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    Bridgekeeper: Huh? I-- I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
    Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
    Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

  9. #9
    In addition to my previous question; If one of my players updates to FG2 and connects to the game I'm hosting, with my custom ruleset, will he be able to join? Will it work? Will he be able to access his character?
    Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop! What is your name?
    Arthur: It is Arthur, King of the Britons.
    Bridgekeeper: What is your quest?
    Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    Bridgekeeper: Huh? I-- I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
    Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
    Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakshara
    In addition to my previous question; If one of my players updates to FG2 and connects to the game I'm hosting, with my custom ruleset, will he be able to join? Will it work? Will he be able to access his character?
    FGII installs in parallel to the original FG.
    Announcement for FGII

    Someone that has both FG and FGII must be told which to use for your campaign.

    Later.
    Ram

    If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Starfinder Playlist

Log in

Log in