STAR TREK 2d20
Page 6 of 6 First ... 456

Thread: Unicode Support

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CannedMan View Post
    Yes, that was the problem discussed on Discord, but the original post here was concerning characters that are available in the font, but regardless of this not displaying as they should in FGU. Even having some space characters not displaying as expected (U+205f for example), definitely shows that something wonky is going on. I am having the same issue running the server without the Robot extension (thus using the default Noto family). The two matters are related.
    I think our inaccurate replies show that you are not clearly communicating in a way we understand exactly what the problem is. Can you provide a concise set of steps we can follow to duplicate the issue? Is there a module or campaign that we would need to do this?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I take it from this the the description provided in post 40 and quoted in post 46 did not describe the problem sufficiently, correct? I would have thought the pictures*– if not the text, which does reference specific Unicode code points*– made clear what my problem was.

I have further described this issue in several comments on Discord, for example:

Please let me know if the issue*– by referencing the mentioned posts, the linked comments, and last, but not least, the images provided*– is clearly stated. In short: Despite Noto supporting all characters I am trying to type, as evidenced by usage of the same font in LibreOffice, several desired characters are not displaying correctly in FGU. I am trying to figure out why this is and how to solve it. I do believe it is a bug, and as mentioned previously, I do believe the point made in the thread ‘Font Character Issues in FGU’ identifies the cause.

Blog Entries
    I don't get it, and have no idea how to start up FG and replicate the issue*. But, since I'm only a user like you, you have probably already done more than I can do. At this point you may want to open a ticket with tech support and see if they can help.

* What I was hoping for was something like;
    1. Start a new CoreRPG campaign.
    2. Create a story
    3. Type "xyz" and then while holding the right alt key type 205 from the number pad, hit enter
    4. Repeat in Libre Office or MS Word and see that the character show does not match in FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As noted by @LordEntrails, an exact step by step is what is needed to look at this.
    If you are looking to add characters via module or script, it will be a different answer; than if you are entering directly.

Regards,
    JPG

Here is a step by step to produce exactly the undesired result here discussed:
    • In FGU:
      • Type the sentence: ‘eller kanskje ein tvipel/-pæl?’.
      • Replace the hyphen with U+2011 (non-breaking hyphen):
        1. Find the character at amp-what.com.
        2. Copy and paste the character.
        3. Even though I know with absolute certainty that characters are copied sans any formatting when using the click-function on amp-what.com, I still (for the sake of this demo), pasted it into Notepad, then copied it there and pasted it into FGU.
    • In Notepad
      • Copy the text from FGU and paste it into Notepad.
    • In LibreOffice Writer
      • Set font to Noto Sans.
      • Copy the text from Notepad and paste it into LibreOffice, twice for the following point:
      • To demonstrate clearly that the same character has been carried over from FGU via Notepad to Writer, press Alt + X next to the character to display its hex code. If correct, it should display U+2011.

The following image shows the results displaying the same text in all three programmes. Notice that only FGU is unable to display the character. The LibreOffice example clearly demonstrates that it is renderable in Noto Sans, the font used by FGU. The Notepad example further clearly demonstrates that the character is renderable even in a monospaced font, which is to be expected, as U+2011 belongs to the General Punctuation block (U+2000–U+206F). I again refer back to the previously mentioned finding which is the best clue I have been able to find so far to what the cause of the problem is.

Bilde_2024-04-21_214415142.png

If this is not reproducable at your ends, I’m at my wits end at what to do about this and how to solve this. I am no programmer, only a typophilic Dungeon Master wanting my texts to look as best they can with the tools available.

P. S.: In case any Norwegians read this: Yes, I have corrected the typo in the text. ;-)
    Last edited by CannedMan; April 21st, 2024 at 21:45. Reason: Added postscriptum.

• In FGU:
        3. Even though I know with absolute certainty that characters are copied sans any formatting when using the click-function on amp-what.com, I still (for the sake of this demo), pasted it into Notepad, then copied it there and pasted it into FGU.

• In Notepad

• In LibreOffice Writer
      • Set font to Noto Sans.
      • Copy the text from Notepad and paste it into LibreOffice, twice for the following point:
      • To demonstrate clearly that the same character has been carried over from FGU via Notepad to Writer, press Alt + X next to the character to display its hex code. If correct, it should display U+2011.

The following image shows the results displaying the same text in all three programmes. Notice that only FGU is unable to display the character. The LibreOffice example clearly demonstrates that it is renderable in Noto Sans, the font used by FGU. The Notepad example further clearly demonstrates that the character is renderable even in a monospaced font, which is to be expected, as U+2011 belongs to the General Punctuation block (U+2000–U+206F). I again refer back to the previously mentioned finding which is the best clue I have been able to find so far to what the cause of the problem is.

If this is not reproducable at your ends, I’m at my wits end at what to do about this and how to solve this. I am no programmer, only a typophilic Dungeon Master wanting my texts to look as best they can with the tools available.

P. S.: In case any Norwegians read this: Yes, I have corrected the typo in the text. ;-)
    I just pasted that text into FG and it looks OK to me but I might be missing the point - is it the long hyphen you are after?

Screenshot_20240421_224806.png
    OK - I see - yeah it draws a little box in FGU.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; April 21st, 2024 at 23:03.

For your information, U+2011 is apparently replaced by U+2d here on the forum, so make sure (if you try to replicate it) that you do not copy the text in my post; it does not contain the correct character.

Continues on Discord (because the forum is being mean to me) https://discord.com/channels/2745828...32925196931072

Blog Entries
    • In FGU:
    • In Notepad
    • In LibreOffice Writer
      • Set font to Noto Sans.

As it turns out, U+2011 is not supported by Noto Sans. It is supported by Noto Sans Japanese and Korean. Those support much larger character sets which is evident as their files are 14 times larger. LibreOffice and Notepad likely have a fallback font for missing glyphs. FGU has a fallback, but only for missing fonts. Not for individual glyphs. I'd recommend adding this as a feature request: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information