DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

Thread: Unicode Support

Blog Entries
    Is the font and all the characters you are looking to use compliant with ISO 8859-1?
    FG does not support all Unicode characters, only a small subset of them. It is more detailed than just 8859-1, but I could not find where Moon details exactly what the encoding requirements are. If I find them after looking some more, I'll come back and post.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    So here are looks to a bit more info on the supported fonts in FGU. Note that the rest of the posts in the threads I link below are NOT relevant, as in general they are talking about issues related to the FGC to FGU update. But the posts I'm linking themselves have two details that might be related to your issue
    1) as mentioned is ISO 8859-1 and 2) the other is about UTF-8 encoding impacting 8859-1.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post485371
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post576791

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As pointed out in conversation on Discord, this may be relevant: Font Character Issues in FGU.

[Edit:
    I just realised that the first post you linked to, is the same as the one I came across. I will read through the second one tomorrow to see if I can learn more. I will post once I have studied it. Thanks!]

I believe this may be the key discovery here (your second link):
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Never mind. I was able to recreate.

It's actually not the font. It's an interesting problem with encodings that is different between FGC and FGU. With FGC, strings are limited to ISO-8859-1, which is always a single byte per letter; while in FGU, strings are UTF-8, which are variable numbers of bytes depending on letter. Lua doesn't have any special handling for multi-byte letter representation, so when we pull the first two "letters" of the string in Lua, it's only getting the first two bytes. This means that it won't get the right information if any of the characters in the first two letters of the string are multi-byte in the UTF-8 string. I'll have to see if I can detect UTF-8 specific multi-byte characters in this specific case.

Regards,
    JPG
    So what can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by CannedMan View Post
    So what can be done?
    The comments after the post you link mentioned adding a helper function into the ruleset, which was added 3 years ago. But, there's no context to this, what's your specific use case?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The comments after the post you link mentioned adding a helper function into the ruleset, which was added 3 years ago. But, there's no context to this, what's your specific use case?
    This, as per post #40:

Quote Originally Posted by CannedMan View Post
    I am having a similar, but different issue, as per my conversation with Zacchaeus on Discord earlier today; I was directed to this thread to see if there were any answers to be found here. I will, for simplicity quote the original message:

I have a question about font and character support. The text in the image on the left is Roboto Medium in LibreOffice Writer and the text to the right is a screenshot showing the same text using the builder and the extension ‘Roboto (Revised) Font Extension’ v. 1.0.

I use a lot of typographically sound typesetting (if you will) when I enter text. For example, as evidenced above, I always set proper fractions (if the font supports it), and I use both no-break space (U+a0) and narrow no-break space (U+202f) when needed. One place where using U+202f is very useful, is when setting fractions: If there is no access to setting specific character styles (as with HTML/CSS or a word processor), then when using the fraction slash (fraction slash at U+2044, not the solidus at U+2f), a space is needed between the whole number and the numerator, otherwise the numerator will be superscripted as well; therefore U+202f (or U+feff: zero width no-break space) should be used, so as to not split the number shown.

As can be seen above, the font Roboto should support proper fractions (though I will be the first to admit it doesn’t look very nice in that font), and of course the various spaces are supported as well, as evidenced by the second screenshot (U+feff is problematic, though). Why then is it, that when I add characters like U+202f (which I have to copy-paste) and fraction slashes (likewise), they are not rendered correctly?

P. S.: I recommend opening the images to see them properly.

Attachment 58948
    Image showing the same text displayed in my word processor and in FGU.

Attachment 58949
    Image listing all the different spaces, their code points, and their rendering.

Using the default font causes the same issue:

Using the standard font yields the same problems (see screenshot). Further, it proved problematic to use it across different rendering sizes (I use 1440p, some players 1080p and one player 4k).
    Here is the screenshot.

Attachment 58950

The vertical line in front of the fraction is my cursor.

Given that the rendering doesn’t work as it should regardless of font choice (I have also tested with Noto in LibreOffice Writer; it works fine), I suspect this is an underlying issue. This is suggested not only be the above things, but also by things such as hard space (Alt+255) being replaced by a soft space.

Blog Entries
    So if I understand, you have a theme extension that changes the fonts and then you have a module with typographical characters that are not showing properly in FG?

If that is the case, you should upload your extension and module and give us simple steps to reproduce. Or if it's not, just simple steps to reproduce the error. It is not clear to me what it is you are trying to do and how to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So if I understand, you have a theme extension that changes the fonts and then you have a module with typographical characters that are not showing properly in FG?

If that is the case, you should upload your extension and module and give us simple steps to reproduce. Or if it's not, just simple steps to reproduce the error. It is not clear to me what it is you are trying to do and how to test it.
    They're trying to get fractions to show in a number field instead of decimals (at least that's what the convo in Discord was about). Since number fields won't take fractions - no matter what font is used; or what else you do - there isn't a way to do what they are wanting.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    They're trying to get fractions to show in a number field instead of decimals (at least that's what the convo in Discord was about). Since number fields won't take fractions - no matter what font is used; or what else you do - there isn't a way to do what they are wanting.
    Ah. Yes, fractions are characters, not numbers (at least within a font). So I would not expect them to work in a number field. Thanks for clarifying

Yes, that was the problem discussed on Discord (this time; I have talked about type there previously), but the original post here was concerning characters that are available in the font, but regardless of this not displaying as they should in FGU. Even having some space characters not displaying as expected (U+205f for example), definitely shows that something wonky is going on. I am having the same issue running the server without the Robot extension (thus using the default Noto family). The two matters are related.
    Last edited by CannedMan; March 31st, 2024 at 00:09.

Thread Information