FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to save or move pins if I change the map image

Hi,

Here is a scenario that may happen frequently in a future campaign that I am planning.
    I will have a small piece of the world mapped at the start, and will add to it as the players explore and travel through it. I will create the map outside FG, import as image, add pins linked to campaign info, etc. Normal stuff.
    But as the world grows around the players, I will need to constantly replace the map image with a new one.
    Note: I do not want to create a gigantic map and use fog of war, or cut out pieces of it, and reveal it that way. My goal is to reduce prep work (hate top-down world building, cannot muster the will to even start) and to create the world as the game goes on.

Hence the question:
    How can I save my pins and have them on the new image exactly as they were on the old image, and avoid having to place every single pin manually again, one by one?

Blog Entries
    Pins are placed in pixel coordinates. I think measured from the top left corner of the image. So if you use a new image file that has more pixels in it, and they grow in the up or left direction, your pins will move relative to where you want them.

You could measure your image pixel growth and go into the db.xml file and mathematically apply an offset to all your pin coordinates, but you would pretty much need to know you are risking making things worse. So, back up and all that.

Now, if you were using FGU and creating the map inside FGU, then you can continuously grow the image canvas size and I think the pins won't move. But haven't tried that and would mean you would have to create the map in FGU from assets.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the replies.
    @LordEntrails
    When you say "create the map inside FGU", do you mean using tiles? Is hex shape supported for tiles?

Be careful doing this. If you have the map shared with players and you change the underlying image bad things happen. Even if you do this outside of the gametime when players are not connected, it will cause issues, at least from my experience.

Have you considered not changing the starting map's size, just adding another maps for each of the adjacent area(s)? That would allow you to grow your explored/known area without having to continually resize any maps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Szabtom View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    @LordEntrails
    When you say "create the map inside FGU", do you mean using tiles? Is hex shape supported for tiles?
    Tiles or Brushes. See the 2 wiki articles.
    - https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...aps+with+Tiles
    - https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...the+Brush+Tool

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks, everyone. I will think some more about this.

You are probably better with a number of smaller regional maps. Especially if you’re running FGC, where the maximum recommended image size is 2048x2048 pixels.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The pixel count would not be an issue, I think. But looking at the map piece by piece and not having a full map would be a pain that way.
    But I understand I am stretching the design limitations of FG - in fact, I have not been able to find any tool that perfectly fits, yet.

Thread Information