STAR TREK 2d20

Larger tokens create large amounts of lag when using LOS

I made an interesting discovery when testing LOS on the Dungeon of the Mad Mage Maps. I use a party token that is a large (10') size token when the party moves around the map. This token suffers huge amounts of lag when trying to move around with the mouse or the keyboard. If I change the token size to medium (5') the lag is greatly reduced. Do other people expierence this as well?
    Last edited by avitale34; April 30th, 2020 at 05:00.

I just tried to reproduce this using a D&D 5e campaign. I loaded the Redbrand's hideout from Lost Mines of Phandelver and added Venomfang (who is large) and a guard drake (who is medium) but I didn't notice any lag with either of them. I tried from the DM instance of FG and no one was connected, if those issues are crucial to your reproduction. I'm also running on fairly generous hardware, which may hide some performance issues from me.

Maybe try providing very specific steps to reproduce, and also a summary of your hardware specs.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure DoMM maps have a lot more LOS segments than LMoP. It would probably need to be replicated on the same map.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I'm pretty sure DoMM maps have a lot more LOS segments than LMoP. It would probably need to be replicated on the same map.
    Oh yeah, fair point. I missed the part about being Mad Mage, those maps are monster big. I don't own that one, so can't test to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Oh yeah, fair point. I missed the part about being Mad Mage, those maps are monster big. I don't own that one, so can't test to confirm.
    I think it is definetly tied to the large maps, after doing more testing the token gets laggier based on how much of the map they explored, for instance as I move them around the level and explore the more that gets revealed the more the token lags.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avitale34 View Post
    I think it is definetly tied to the large maps, after doing more testing the token gets laggier based on how much of the map they explored, for instance as I move them around the level and explore the more that gets revealed the more the token lags.
    That tracks. The size of the token shouldn't be an issue, as LOS is calculated from the center of the token. The FOW grows with the explored area of the map, so it would affect performance as more of the map is explored.

Is it a good idea to maybe divide the DOTMM maps into North and South to reduce lag?

Thread Information