Page 8 of 26 First ... 67891018 ... Last
    Yes same issue here with the latest build: 2020-06-30

2018 Mac mini
    OS X 10.15.5
    3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

GPU maxed constantly. CPU was fine.
    Very Laggy character movement on the map. I had to have my DM move my icon around.

FGU was nearly unplayable. The GPU spikes had been noticeable in previous FGU builds, but not this bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StoicalZebra; July 1st, 2020 at 04:56. Reason: Added screenshot

Any updates on the issue from the official side on this topic?

need some guidance here. Clearly FGU can run off lesser GPUs, but on MBP it's consuming more than most video games on the dedicated GPU. even when I minimize the window to the background and it could not possibly be rendering, with no players connected to the game, it's grinding the GPU and thus the fan on the MBP runs at 100%. As we're gaming online in this pandemic, that also means the microphone is picking up the fan noise. Since I am the GM, I can't just keep muting all the time to keep that out. Was never an issue with FGC, only FGU.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
    2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
    Using external second screen at 1440v resolution via Anker docking station so onboard GPU must be used to run the display, can't disable.

@zelannii, do you use a headphone set? The mic will be then further away from your MBP which could reduce it from picking up noise, also there are ways you can suppress background noises on discord for instance, but I am not aware of how well it works.

Yes I am with you on the need for optimisation on the macside, when opening a map my CPU is in the 100-130% range, I'm also running zoom which sucks up another 60% CPU. So hopefully they will be able to optimise it a bit more.

My best advice would be to run FGU in a bare-minimum set-up use very few extension and load only the modules you need. That greatly reduced the lag I was getting during gameplay with my DnD group. Which might reduce CPU/GPU.

I'm running a Macbook air 13-inch 2020, so its not an old model either like yours.
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; September 7th, 2020 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by lozanoje View Post
    It has also an integrated card, maybe a Intel UHD Graphics 630, what pindecarl is asking you is if you are using the integrated video card or the Radeon 560x when executing the program.

Most programs run by default with the integrated card and you have to force them to use the other card.
    It's a good point. However, I do not see heavy graphics in FGU to justify the need for a dedicated graphic card. It should work just fine with an integrated one.
    I have software with 3d graphic which perform much better than FGU on my integrated card.
    In my opinion it's just a matter of code optimisation

I've also been running into this issue - for some reason FGU wants to run on the High Performance GPU (GeForce MX250) on my Dell Inspiron 15 rather than the Integrated Graphics, and this causes the fan to run full speed (and quite noisy). Note that this is occurring even with FGU running and not displaying any windows other than Chat, so it's not a CPU / GPU intensive situation. I suspect that Unity is somehow involved - either Unity (being a gaming / graphics platform is specifying that FGU run on the best graphics available, or the Graphics environment in Windows 10 or the laptop hardware? is causing this.
    Either way it's an undesireable circumstance.
    I've tried setting the NVidia 3D setting to force it to run on the integrated graphics, and even tried the "Run with graphics processor" option for FantasyGrounds.exe, still with no change.

FGU Task Manager.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AdamGM72; September 27th, 2020 at 02:36.

As far as I know, the FGU code does not do anything to choose video cards specifically; it just implements a 3D environment with multiple cameras to display all the various objects.

What percentage of utilization is the GPU running at for the tabletop for you? Mine runs at about 30-50% when idle; and fluctuates up and down depending on what is being looked at.

Regards,
    JPG

My question was erased from the forum and it was in regards to the macbook pro. You had responded Moon Wizard but the post was removed... Did you remove my post...?

Anyhow, FGU is not working as promised... Also when I download the mac version for FGU, I'm being forced to download ver. 4.00 on FGU for the Macbook. My question, is that the most recent version?? You asked me to download the most recent version, I did and it still spikes my battery usage and my fan kicks into high gear as if there is malware, BTC mining software or even a bloated ad one would come across on the reddit forums that causes the fan and cpu to run way too hot... I know there's a version out there that is later but it might be for windows, not sure...

Please confirm the most recent version for FGU on a macbook is 4.00. Is it 4.00? If it's NOT then the fantasy ground website is not up to date and is directing to download an older version of FGU...

Finally, I can't download the older version of FGC as supposedly the older FGC works without spiking the CPU... I updated my macbook for security reasons etc as most rational individuals do.. I will not downgrade the mac OS to where there are bugs and exploits so I can add FGC and Im not going to dual boot etc...

My question was erased from the forum and it was in regards to the macbook pro. You had responded Moon Wizard but the post was removed... Did you remove my post...?

Anyhow, FGU is not working as promised... Also when I download the mac version for FGU, I'm being forced to download ver. 4.00 on FGU for the Macbook. My question, is that the most recent version?? You asked me to download the most recent version, I did and it still spikes my battery usage and my fan kicks into high gear as if there is malware, BTC mining software or even a bloated ad one would come across on the reddit forums that causes the fan and cpu to run way too hot... I know there's a version out there that is later but it might be for windows, not sure...

Please confirm the most recent version for FGU on a macbook is 4.00. Is it 4.00? If it's NOT then the fantasy ground website is not up to date and is directing to download an older version of FGU...

Finally, I can't download the older version of FGC as supposedly the older FGC works without spiking the CPU... I updated my macbook for security reasons etc as most rational individuals do.. I will not downgrade the mac OS to where there are bugs and exploits so I can add FGC and Im not going to dual boot etc...

Quote Originally Posted by JPS503 View Post
    This thread?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-to-FoudryVTT
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information