DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 68 of 96 First ... 1858666768697078 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    1. Hold shift
    2. Get close to another point and it will snap automatically. Hold CTRL to override this. Go past a line and release to create an intersection
    3. Turn grid snap on
    4. Not exactly the same, but put them in the same parent folder
    5. Not sure this is in yet I would need to test in select mode for the light

Thanks for the hints.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    1. Hold shift
    I tried before, but it does not work properly. Also doesn't work when you move existing points.

2. Get close to another point and it will snap automatically. Hold CTRL to override this. Go past a line and release to create an intersection
    The "go past a line" part is the problem when you create new walls. Because it does not snap to the other line you either get this:

or this:

3. Turn grid snap on

4. Not exactly the same, but put them in the same parent folder
    That's my current workaround, but really a different solution to a different problem.

5. Not sure this is in yet I would need to test in select mode for the light
    CTRL+C & CTRL+P do not copy and paste selected lights. The workaround of duplicating layers fails because of point 4.

Too bad, I hoped that I just didn't know the proper handling of these.

Blog Entries
    1. I use the SHIFT to create straight lines all the time. You only click the point once, draw your line and then click where you want it to end. Perhaps you are holding down the left mouse button and dragging instead. That is freeform drawing.

straight_lines.jpg

2. I forgot to mention this is Magnetic Snap. That is on by default. You seem to be focusing more on snap to line, which we don't do... but as I mentioned, we automatically create an intersection between the two lines which is essentially snap to line. Going past a line does generate potentially extra points like in your first example and you may or may not want to clean them up depending on how many lines you crossed. I clean these up by selecting and deleting them in bulk inside areas. You can also do a bunch of lines and then switch back to select mode to either select and delete them or drag them on top of the next adjacent line. If we decide to do an automatic line snap in the future, we can probably make that more efficient by removing the clean-up step automatically from the line closes to the end.

3. Grid Snap - doesn't seem to be working in the current build for drawing or LOS. It seems to be applying to tiles only. I will pass this on.

5. You can't copy and paste lights, but you can easily CTRL+click to select multiple lights and adjust them all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    1. I use the SHIFT to create straight lines all the time. You only click the point once, draw your line and then click where you want it to end.
    Quite unexpected.
    Perhaps you are holding down the left mouse button and dragging instead. That is freeform drawing.
    Indeed, because I am used to do that from such applications as Photoshop, Paint.net, XnView, Faststone Image Viewer, Microsoft Office, Libreoffice, Greenshot and others.

I also tried to create two points and then move one point while holding shift, nothing happened, though.

So FGU keeps freeform drawing when the button is pressed, regardless of the shift modifier. Good to know.

... Going past a line does generate potentially extra points like in your first example and you may or may not want to clean them up depending on how many lines you crossed.
    So manual cleanup is necessary at this point, even more so since Grid Snap does not seem to work. On a side-note: Undo does not remove these intersection points when it removes the line that originally created them.

3. Grid Snap - doesn't seem to be working in the current build for drawing or LOS. It seems to be applying to tiles only. I will pass this on.
    Thanks. This should help with (mostly) properly aligned maps to speed things up.

5. You can't copy and paste lights, but you can easily CTRL+click to select multiple lights and adjust them all at once.
    Yes, the ability to adjust multiple lights is great. Not being able to copy & paste lights is a (time-sink) problem, I found myself not only copy & pasting within a single map, but also from one map to another (in Foundry).

You might find videos ten to thirteen in the first post in this thread useful.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Indeed, but other users might also expect FGU behavior to mirror common UI/UX of widely used everyday apps, without having to watch videos to learn how to do the same thing via different means.

So I suggest to make holding shift stop freehand drawing like in all the other apps I listed (and many more). This should also work when moving already present points.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Indeed, but other users might also expect FGU behavior to mirror common UI/UX of widely used everyday apps, without having to watch videos to learn how to do the same thing via different means.

So I suggest to make holding shift stop freehand drawing like in all the other apps I listed (and many more). This should also work when moving already present points.
    Well, it's not common.

CAD applications use the concept of click let go, click next point.

CC3+ uses this as well (not surprising as it's based on a CAD engine).

It's important to not come in with preconceptions. Just because one app uses one way, does not mean that all apps should use the same way.

Blog Entries
    I too hope the UI continues to behave the way it currently does, because it works exactly like I expect it to because of how other apps I use work. Funny how their is not single one UI approach to behavior. Strange how we keep having this same conversation.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

How many FGU users come from CAD backgrounds versus coming from everyday office/image app backgrounds? I have several architects as customers and even afters years of usage they keep struggling with various CAD software, so this might not be the best benchmark for good UI/UX.

And adding SHIFT+click+drag to not freehand draw does not mean that the click let go part has to be removed, they don't conflict with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I too hope the UI continues to behave the way it currently does, because it works exactly like I expect it to because of how other apps I use work. Funny how their is not single one UI approach to behavior. Strange how we keep having this same conversation.
    That is because you seem to judge UI/UX from your specialized niche user perspective, while I judge it from everyday users' perspective.

Thread Information