DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[Bug][Pathfinder 1e][Weapon Focus feat attack bonus not applied on Actions tab]

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 1903 Build: 18362.1016
    FGC Version: 3.3.11 ULTIMATE
    PFRPG ruleset version: 3.3.10

Steps to re-create problem:
    1. Create a character
    2. Add a weapon to inventory, equip it. longsword for this example
    3. Add the Weapon Focus feat (note that there is no way to specify the wepon other than typing it next to the feat)
    4. Go to the Actions tab.
    5. Note that the +1 attack bonus from Weapon Focus is not applied. Also when the attack is rolled, the bonus does not show up in the chat window either.

I have read that the reason for this is that "this feature is not in the ruleset". Why? It's a part of the core game that could be implemented exactly as it is in PC Gen, OR simply allowing us to modify the attack / damage bonus for the weapon on the actions tab. I also play Savage Worlds, and you are able to modify attack / damage bonuses for individual weapons in that ruleset.

I have also read that the workaround is to just create weapons with a bonus. Fine, I can do that, but why? I paid for a premium product, I would expect commonly used core features like Weapon Focus to be fully implemented.

This is also true of the damage bonus from Weapon Specialization.

Please update the ruleset to accomodate the Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization bonus.

@BillTheButcher,

There is no current automation of adjusting character sheets based on ability additions; so this is expected behavior. Any ability adjustments have to applied to the character manually.

We do not have any plans to fully automate the Pathfinder 1E character creation and leveling process at this time. There are a couple projects in the 5E and Pathfinder 2E rulesets to provide character wizards that do more; but no resources to work on Pathfinder 1E currently.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks @Moon Wizard,

I understand your reasoning, but from my perspective that answer is unacceptable.

I will just create the custom weapons, but I will keep this in mind next time I consider upgrading to Unity, and whether to continue using your product.

I wish I had known the Pathfinder 1E ruleset is discontinued in Fantasy Grounds, I would have probably chosen a different VTT in spite of the fact that I've already paid for Fantasy Grounds.

Bill

It's not that Pathfinder 1E is discontinued. It's that FG never offered automation of characters to that degree; and it's only now something that we are exploring with 5E and Pathfinder 2E.

Regards,
    JPG

Right, it's not discontinued, you're just not doing anything with it. Pardon my misuse of the word "discontinued". Maybe "abandoned" would be more appropriate.

Seriously, creating custom weapons for feat bonuses is a terrible solution.

#1: Each time the character gets a new weapon of that type, I now have to create a custom weapon. What a pain!
    #2: It breaks my PC Gen imports. It's fantastic to have automated character creation, but don't forget about that longsword that has to be deleted, and re-added as a custom weapon after XML import!

I just can't see how you would call a core component of the rules like this "character customization". The entire character sheet is "character customization", what it boils down to is that Fantasy Grounds simply refuses to do it.

Just go to the weapon on that character's sheet and simply add a "+1" to hit.
    job done. I don't see the feature as "strictly necessary" since all it takes is a one-time addition to the weapon in the actions tab. Sure, could be interesting, but far, FAR from being "unacceptable being without".

Unless you work with 500+ PCgen characters and all of them have various weapon focuses, I still fail to see it as a serious issue :/

It's something additional to remember that will be invariably forgotten. "Oh wait I forgot my Weapon Focus bonus." You can try to frame it any way you want, this solution is terrible and people are only doing it this way because you have failed to give us a proper way.

Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    OR simply allowing us to modify the attack / damage bonus for the weapon on the actions tab. I also play Savage Worlds, and you are able to modify attack / damage bonuses for individual weapons in that ruleset.
    As already mentioned, you can completely modifiy everything in the sheet (EDIT: Like you would do at a table)

Also, Pf1/3.5e have so many feats and stuff from books that this would be a tremendous amount of work to automate all feats (for that it may be easier to provide a UI allowing to add "codes" to feats etc in FG itself; but that takes time of course, too), while still allowing homebrew etc.

But, as Asgurgolas mentioned, it is not really difficult to adjust the number once added to the sheet (you do not even need to make a copy of that weapon; what do you mean with this? It sounds a bit that you may not have seen yet how to edit the weapon stuff. EDIT: Ah, now I see your most recent answer, I probably misunderstood you )

The only real good reason to automate such things would be for accessibility of new players or for players having problems with these things In that regard it would surely be useful, but someone would need to do this, and as Moon Wizard wrote, the resources are not given at the moment. Maybe the results of the 5e character wizard carry over to the other rulesets at some point

EDIT: FG especially focusses at combat automation while PC Gen etc. focussed at sheet automation, both of which need a lot of work
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 26th, 2020 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    The entire character sheet is "character customization", what it boils down to is that Fantasy Grounds simply refuses to do it.
    While it is true that anything they don't do is because they chose not to, it's all a matter of resource-allocation. I think if you look at every VTT that exists with PF1e compatibility not a single one will do what you are describing. While this type of automation is starting to be added to the more popular rulesets like 5e and PF2e, there's no business case for paying developers to dive that deeply into PF1e. That's why people like myself, Kelrugem, etc are making our own extensions to add the stuff we wish existed.
    Obviously it's nice when you can just pay someone else to do work for you (and I'm sure you could if you hired lua programmers), but there just isn't enough demand from PF1e users for FG to allocate their very limited resources to that task.

3 months ago I hadn't touched code a brief attempt during summer camp back in middle school and now I'm making big changes to add functionality that I wanted. It's really not that hard, so if you really care enough that you're on here demanding stuff you weren't ever promised maybe you should try actually making a difference.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I am also an FG user and not in any way related to FG officially.
    Last edited by bmos; August 26th, 2020 at 18:52.

Thread Information